Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2016, 12:54 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Joplin , Missouri
Double Pane Windows in '77 Sovereign

As I understand, Airstream installed double pane windows for several years and my trailer falls within that timeframe. Unfortunately, I see many others have experienced this issue as well, the original tint has peeled and crumbled in the middle and condensation + an icky film has built up to the point that some of the windows are now completely opaque. About 4 of the outer windows have shattered, I believe possibly from heat/condensation build up in between. I have read that the outer windows are tempered while the inner glass is a lesser quality. I've read of many people tackling this issue by just breaking and removing the interior glass and calling it good (and cleaning the gunk off the inside of the exterior glass, of course). Does anyone have any comments on this? Does this sacrifice some insulation, or no more so than other vintage trailers? Will the windows look clean/normal afterwards? My windows with a shattered exterior glass, should I have a tempered exterior glass replaced and do-away with the interior glass? Can I get that glass replaced sufficiently at a window/auto window shop?

Also, this is my first airstream remodel, so any additional tips on window removal and treatment would be appreciated. This question might be silly, but I couldn't find it anywhere else: after removing the rivets to remove the windows so that I can treat them, will the same 5/32" olympic rivets that I use elsewhere on the exterior re-install the windows?

Thanks!
Halie
endicotth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:31 AM   #2
GM77AZAir

1977 25' Tradewind
New River , Arizona
So want to find the solution to this mystery as well!!!
GM77AZAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:38 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Vicksburg , Mississippi
This may help...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...ilm-37422.html
Al Boondy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign