Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2008, 08:50 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Double pane to single pane window conversion

All--

I've read many your posts on other's windows adventure... and a good job and congrats to all of you who have slayed the tint peeling monster.

Now I'm looking at my '75 Safari, and it only has double panes on the front windows. I'm going to just convert them to single pane and keep the inside panes for spares.

Does anyone have any opinions if I decide to use:

Crlaurence CRL Glazing Vinyl; 1/2" Channel Depth 9/64" to 11/64" Metal Opening - 100 ft Roll | GC725C

to contain the edge of the window in the aluminum? I just used above link to 1/8" glass thickness as a place holder, since I need to measure the glass once I got it removed... in one piece.

I was also thinking of using the roll rubber stuff... to fill the gap behind the gasket and the inside aluminum channel... and hold it in with some type of sealant... maybe even black Silicone. Yikes!

Other thoughts appreciated....
Old 12-13-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Wichita , Kansas
Am considering the very same fix. My 1976 29 footer has the same problem. Airstream sells the replacement windows ($ 450.00 ) each and I bought 3 of them. I however need to replace one more window on the trailer and am going to try to repair one of my take- offs. The problem with trying to save the inside panes as extras, is that they are a slightly smaller size than the outer panes.
I'm considering using your idea of the single pane U gasket, and fill the remaining cavity with a strip of heavy rubber belting cut to the exact thickness to fill the gap with some tension on the new gasket. I want to avoid using a round filler as I want to try and apply uniform tension to the new gasket. If one uses the 3M windshield sealant when assembling the finished sash, there should be few leaks if any. I can't believe that this task is that difficult. I considered restoring the double pane configuration after removing the UV film ( which came off pretty effortlessly), but realized that trying to restore the double pane configuration with out falling right back into the same kind of problems that double pane windows are noted for ( condensation e.g) would likely be futile. An interesting note as well is the fact that Airstream itself, has abandon the notion of double pane glass for the single pane units instead. I guess they realized how troublesome and costly, replacing fogged windows in their trailers that were still under factory warranty.
Let me know what you think of the idea, and expand on it as you think necessary.
Maybe between the two of us we can solve this problem with an inexpensive fix.

Mike
Joebanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Wichita , Kansas
Update: Talked with several knowledgeable people in the industrial glass business, about the idea of filling the double pane cavity in the sash frame with a rubber filler. They all said it was a recipe for disaster (leaks). They suggested instead a rigid filler to occupy the space between the single pane "U" gasket and the sash frame. That is the avenue that I will follow. I ordered samples from the link ronstory provided above, and the 1/8" gasket is a perfect fit!!!
Will now concentrate on the filler. Thinking of a black plexiglass in the 5/16 " thick area to fabricate my filler. Should prove to be a fun project. Will also document the process and provide precise plans and drawings to anyone in interested if the project proves successful!

Mike
Old 01-02-2010, 01:40 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Wichita , Kansas
I can see this thread might be suffering from a lack of intrest, but heck, at least I will be able to document how this progress is going to those that want to follow the thread.
Opted to use aluminum bar stock ( .375 x .375 ) purchased here in Wichita at the Yard Store ( aircraft surplus) which cost me $ 3.60 for a 10 ft. long piece, as they sell it by the pound. I found I needed an aluminum filler for the channel conversion measuring .375 x .320. I set up my drill press with a drum sander, and fabricated a wooden block with a 3/8 " miter slot to hold the bar stock square to the drum sander while I simply fed the rod , pass after pass until I had effectively milled the stock to .320". Next, I took some cardboard and a small compass and proceeded to duplicate the inside radius of the sash channel to make a pattern for my stock bending operation. I found the proper radius and made a test cutting from a piece of 1/8 " plywood I had in the shop. When I was satisfied that my pattern was accurate, I simply used my test pattern for a template to cut the end of a 1"x4" to duplicate the curve. I would then use the wooden pattern to clamp the stock to block and bend it to the proper curve.
Next I measured and found the exact center points of the sashes vertical runs, and opted to fabricate my channel filler in 4 pieces, one for each corner with seams at the center points on the sash frames so I could find the length of each segment.
With some careful cutting and subsequent bending, managed to fabricate a channel filler that I'm betting will work beautifully! When the channel filler is in place, I'm left with a uniform 1/4" channel to accept the "U" gasket to be purchased at the web site mentioned in the ronstory posting above.
Will order the "U" gasket this week and hopefully continue with the project as I have time to continue ( I'm still a working stiff).
Will keep those who might be in interest, posted.

Mike
Old 01-02-2010, 04:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Go joebanjo

I'm interested in this thread. Replacing a double pane on my 74 Tradewind will be an upcoming project. Thanks for all of the details. Remember, Airstreamers will read this thread long after our windows are done.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:01 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Wichita , Kansas
Latest update on the Double pane to single conversion. Success!!!! Have just finished converting 3 -30 inch windows to single pane, and they are beautiful. No breaking glass, no mess, new gaskets, an aluminum filler bar ( .375 X .375) machined to ( .375 X .290 ) on my drill press with a 1 inch rotory file and a block of wood with a 3/8 inch channel miter to guide the stock through the file . Plenty of WD 40 to keep things cool. Found the internal radius of the sash frame channel using a piece of cardboard, cut to fit. Simply used the the cardboard cut out to transfer the radius to a pine 1 x 6 and cut the curve with the band saw ( a simple curve which could be done with a saber saw). Made 4 segments, one for each quadrant of the sash extending from the center seam to the midway point in the sashes side, by clamping the newly milled aluminum stock to my wood jig and bending the stock to duplicate the curve. With some tweaking and careful bending, managed to form a perfectly fitting channel filler that would allow the use of one pane of glass ( the stock Airstream outer pane) and a new U gasket. Each segment will need to be fitted to it's new home in the sash channel and the ends trimmed so as to not protrude into the adjoining segments space. After some lip biting and the application of some dishwashing liquid as a lubricant, I managed to reassemble my newly converted single pane window into it's finished form. All they need now is new weather stripping, and installation.

Mike
Joebanjo@cox.net
Old 02-28-2010, 10:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Your single pane solution sounds very professional and effective. How about some photos or drawings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebanjo View Post
... I can't believe that this task is that difficult. I considered restoring the double pane configuration after removing the UV film ( which came off pretty effortlessly), but realized that trying to restore the double pane configuration with out falling right back into the same kind of problems that double pane windows are noted for ( condensation e.g) would likely be futile. ...
After two years, I still don't have any condensation in my repaired double pane windows (posts 1, 57, 65, and 67, mostly).

I like the double panes. As I slowly redo the Sovereign, I've wound up with two repaired double panes, one single pane, and the remainder still the original flaky doubles. When camping in 5 degree weather, the single pane window is the only one to frost up on the inside. That tells me a lot about the effectiveness of the double panes.

Zep
Old 02-28-2010, 05:27 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Wichita , Kansas
Double pane restoration

Hey Zep

My hat is off to you for going that extra mile and restoring your windows to the factory double pane configuration. I must confess that the thermal benefits would be very attractive, I however probably won't be using my Airstream in those kinds of cold temperatures. You could probably refer to me as a fair weather traveler. That may change after I retire in a year or so, but for now I'm content chasing nice weather.
I'm a little uncertain how to post photos, but would be glad to send you some shots via E-mail.

Be well Zep

Mike
Old 10-07-2017, 06:38 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
1978 31' Sovereign
Akron , Indiana
Thanks for this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebanjo View Post
Latest update on the Double pane to single conversion. Success!!!! Have just finished converting 3 -30 inch windows to single pane, and they are beautiful. No breaking glass, no mess, new gaskets, an aluminum filler bar ( .375 X .375) machined to ( .375 X .290 ) on my drill press with a 1 inch rotory file and a block of wood with a 3/8 inch channel miter to guide the stock through the file . Plenty of WD 40 to keep things cool. Found the internal radius of the sash frame channel using a piece of cardboard, cut to fit. Simply used the the cardboard cut out to transfer the radius to a pine 1 x 6 and cut the curve with the band saw ( a simple curve which could be done with a saber saw). Made 4 segments, one for each quadrant of the sash extending from the center seam to the midway point in the sashes side, by clamping the newly milled aluminum stock to my wood jig and bending the stock to duplicate the curve. With some tweaking and careful bending, managed to form a perfectly fitting channel filler that would allow the use of one pane of glass ( the stock Airstream outer pane) and a new U gasket. Each segment will need to be fitted to it's new home in the sash channel and the ends trimmed so as to not protrude into the adjoining segments space. After some lip biting and the application of some dishwashing liquid as a lubricant, I managed to reassemble my newly converted single pane window into it's finished form. All they need now is new weather stripping, and installation.

Mike
Joebanjo@cox.net
Do you have any pictures.
dwhitake is offline   Reply With Quote