Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2008, 01:23 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Double pane only in front windows

All--

On my 75 Safari... I was fixin' to tackle the peeling solar film in the windows as "vacation" from removing silicon.

I just notice that the front window are double pane (can see the white spacers fall out between the glass) but the rest of the windows, including the vistak, are all single pane.

Is that normal? Because if everthing else on the trailer is single pane, doing all the work work to restore double pane on just one side of the trailer seems silly to me.

Also, are the panes of the glass on the double pane windows identical? Can is just convert to single pane... and the keep the twin as a spare? My history with vechiles has shown... spares parts... Good.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:11 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Ron, most wing windows of the period were double pane. One of our double pane windows was doing an imitation of an aquarium. I was able to get between the panes, and drain the water.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
In the mid 70's there was no rhyme or reason to where the double or single pane glass will show up . On my '76 the only double pane were the vistaviews. There are several threads on repairing the front double pane windows . So yes, what you have is as normal as it gets .
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:07 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Thanks... I now know it's not just me. ;^)

I'm betting that both pieces of double pane glass would are the same. So I'll just plan on converting them to single pane and then keep the extra glass for spares... provided I don't break them separating them.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:32 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Cool and thanks for the pointers. I'll plan on just converting back to single pane and avoid the hassle about the the spacers.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:49 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Wichita , Kansas
ronstory

The two panes are NOT the same size, although they are very close. The inner pane is slightly smaller both width and length. The inner pane might be used as a replacement though.
I have had great success in rebuilding my old double pane windows to the single pane configuration (rebuilt all of mine ) and they look brand new!! I use new "U" gasket and rebuild the windows with new bucked rivets.
Tap me a line and I'll tell you how...:-)

Mike
Joebanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Joebanjo - this thread has been dormant for almost two and a half years... :P

That said, I personally would always keep the window double-paned. Those front windows are the most prone to shattering, so a double layer means the inner sheet stops the broken glass falling inside the living area.

With my next trailer, if the windows need rework, I will probably buy some lexan and shape it to meet the contour of the outer sheet to increase its durability.

Howto: remove glass. Dry lexan in low humidity area for a few days. Place lexan over glass balanced on upturned stoneware and place in oven at 225. Raise by 25F every 5 minutes until the lexan becomes soft. Shape lexan to curve of glass. Allow to cool on glass so it retains shape. Trim with file to shape.