Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2010, 09:53 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
Door in a door screen

Can somebody post a picture of how the screen is supposed to be on a door-within-a-door? I have a 1960 Traveler and the PO just stuck an aluminum-framed screen up on it with screws and a piece of rubber.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front door.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	114255  
lucymcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
You need to drill out the pop rivets holding the interior panels. It will then be obvious how the screen goes on, then re-rivet the interior panels.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucymcdog View Post
Can somebody post a picture of how the screen is supposed to be on a door-within-a-door? I have a 1960 Traveler and the PO just stuck an aluminum-framed screen up on it with screws and a piece of rubber.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I don't know if your '60 is the same as my '61. On mine the screen is attached on the outside of the inside door, between the two doors, with aluminum strips attached to the top and bottom of the screen door opening with two screws each. The curvature of the door keeps the aluminum screen frame tight to the door from top to bottom.
Sam
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010001.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	114269   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010002.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	114270  

samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
The above post is correct. All of the door-within-a-door screens from 1959 thru 1963 were installed this way. Earlier models may also work this way, but my memory gets fuzzy on earlier models. My Dad's 1st. Airstream was a '54 but I can't remember how the screen was installed then ( I was only 5 years old).

The screen should slip under the top bracket. The bottom bracket is removed by two screws, and then re-installed after positioning the screen.
WBCCI #1200
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:46 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
I took out enough pop rivets to see if the screen attached between the inner skin and the door and there was nothing there to attach it. Just smooth surface. There is a lip at the bottom on the inside of the inner door - I'll post a picture this afternoon - that looks like it should hold the screen frame but it seems like a tacky way to do it because then you have it sticking out into the inside of the trailer somewhat. I'd like it to be flush with the door, if possible. If I attach it with metal strips then the hooks that hold the outer door to the inner door will have to go through the screen itself.

If I put it between the inner skin and the door and then let the pop rivets hold it in place do you think it will be secure enough to hold the screen good and tight? Of course, when somebody goes through the screen it would be a real pain to replace it.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
Here are pictures of the channel at the bottom, the inside of the between the skin and the door, a view from the inside showing the latch hole and a view from the outside showing the channel and the latch hole.

Now what?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen channel.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	114319   Click image for larger version

Name:	inside skin.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	114320  

Name:	inside view.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	114321   Click image for larger version

Name:	channel and latch hole.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	114322  

Old 11-02-2010, 01:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Here is a picture of the screen replacement on one of my doors.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HPIM1576.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	258.6 KB
ID:	114323  
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:28 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
It is hard to see enough detail in your pictures, but I would recommend that you see if you current screen will fit inside the "inside" panel of your door. Is the inner edge of your screen frame the same size (or slightly larger) than the opening of the interior door panel? If so, then you just need to fabricate a top brace to secure the top edge of the screen, and an L-shaped bottom braket to secure the bottom. I think I see a screw head or rivot on the bottom of your door opening where this now missing brace once was positioned (see your bottom left picture).

Hope this helps
WBCCI #1200
Old 11-03-2010, 10:57 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Master View Post
It is hard to see enough detail in your pictures, but I would recommend that you see if you current screen will fit inside the "inside" panel of your door. Is the inner edge of your screen frame the same size (or slightly larger) than the opening of the interior door panel? If so, then you just need to fabricate a top brace to secure the top edge of the screen, and an L-shaped bottom braket to secure the bottom. I think I see a screw head or rivot on the bottom of your door opening where this now missing brace once was positioned (see your bottom left picture).

Hope this helps
Sorry my pictures were so bad. The current screen won't fit on the inside panel of the door - it is too large. there is an L-shaped bottom bracket but it is riveted on the inside of the inner door. It doesn't look like there was ever a bracket at the top on the inner door - it is smooth and there are no old rivet holes. The screen frame that is on it is a cheapie aluminum one that I think the PO had made. It sticks over the edge of the interior skin about 1" on either side and, when it is sitting in the bottom bracket, is about 1" too tall. I would really like a "smoother" looking screen - the framed screen looks cheezy. If I can figure out how to make the screen fit on the outside, what would you suggest I do about the little latches that would have to go through the actual screen? Do you know of any brackets that could be fitted on to the screen that would allow the latches to go through it without tearing the screen?
Old 11-04-2010, 06:58 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
I looked at my '63 door within a door screen again, and measured. the inner panel opening is 14"w X 40"h. The screen frame is 16"w X 42'h. When properly positioned, you cannot see the screen frame from inside the trailer.

Look at SAMB's pictures and see that the screen is positioned inside the door so as not to cover the latches.

the top securing bracket is also "L" shaped and fastened to the top surface of the opening. see if you see any holes in the top surface. To remove my screen, I remove the bottom bracket and the screen frame slides down until it is free of the top bracket.

I hope this helps
WBCCI #1200
Old 11-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
screen

Thanks - I think that is going to be helpful. I'm away from my "baby" for a week so I can't check it out but I'll look and measure when I get back home. I think the way yours is set up might just work on mine.