Old 07-18-2018, 01:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Curved window source

Go to any airplane boneyard where they are scrapping the airframes. Turns out the side windows in a 727 (and any other airplane with the same fuselage diameter, eg, with 3x3 seating) fit the curve of vintage Airstreams. And they come with a very nice gasket. It only takes the removal of 10 philllips screws and a little push and you've got the transparency.

Click image for larger version

Name:	727 window fit.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	317382

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
HUH! Who would have thought a 1935-ish Travel Trailer design could use Boeing airliner parts...and they fit. Making a note of that idea.

True story: Built a GMC van into a camper, and had custom Flexsteel seats up front. They came without a seatback tilt adjustment, but I discovered that they had installed a fixed steel flat bar instead of a tilt gimmick they wanted $100 for. So I went to our local scrapper, and found some 12 inch long (compressed) screw jacks off a LearJet trim tab assembly. A couple bolts, and a added knob, and we had nice adjustable seating tor $10 and a few scrap bolts. If I had been super clever, I probably could have put a motor on them, but it wasn't worth it

2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
I was sure this was going to be a normal nerd-ish story until I got to the trim tab. LOL. I mean, who knows what the heck a trim tab is, anyway?
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Curved window source

Heh, I guess you have to be an unabashed aviation nerd to understand that one.

It’s a small movable surface that’s part of a larger movable control surface like a rudder, elevator, or aileron on a plane. They get adjusted to make the airplane “trimmed” to make it fly more or less straight without the pilot having to fight it. A properly trimmed airplane will fly pretty much straight with two fingers on the controls. Avoids the problem of wrestling the plane into going where you want it to go.

And yes, I have often been accused of not being a “normal nerd”. I have been told that, “you are a completely unique S. O. B. “ more than once.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote