Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2007, 12:26 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Window curse

Ingrid, Was that a window from VTS? Steve has a guarantee against breaking on all the windows he has sold if it was! Check out his website and click on windows tab then for our years I think it is right there! If this was one you had made locally or a VTS one the window cranks are what caused the problem! Since they aren't working right the cranking down unevenly would put unwanted pressure and stress on the glass. With the temperature changes that would certainly cause the glass to fail. Next issue Lexan... Unless you get 1/4" thick or thicker the Lexan window will never be able to seal as well as the glass ones do. This is especially important on the front window as it will take the brunt of wind and rain conditions when towing the trailer. It is a personal choice of course but I would want the best I could get up there in the front of the trailer. It really is saying to you that the window clamps not working correctly and caused this failure and not the glass itself. I would see if Kevin (Silverhobby) will be able to supply the needed replacement window hardware First and then get a new heat tempered window locally or if you don't trust the local glass place then get one from Andy at InlandRV or Steve at VTS. That's my two cents worth. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:19 AM   #62
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Ingrid, after thinking about it, your window frame could be twisted in the shell, putting the glass in a bind. When things heated up, the tension passed the breaking point.
Do you have a way to check the frame for straightness, not just being square?
Old 02-12-2007, 02:34 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Hey all,

The window was one made locally and I'm guessing that the glass bar is a bit bent, and also my clips are not working right. I've decided I'm done with glass, this is the second front glass window that's broken, and since the shell is not twisted that I can see, I'm going with Lexan. Just ordered one from Inland RV today. I need to put this window thing to rest!

I'll post pics of that installation when it's done.

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:10 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
I'm interested in the bedding tape issue. Did anyone figure out why it didn't work? I'm going to replace the old piece of plexiglass in the rear window that the PO put in with a tempered pane, and of course I want to do it right. You guys are the window gurus on this forum!

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:23 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
tape

Hi John,

You mean the tape that goes across the top of the glass pane before you put it back into the bar, right?

The bedding tape is not really tape so much as it is a long piece of rubber. It doesn't have anything sticky on it. To solve that we put two-sided tape on the glass pane first, and then put on the bedding tape over it. Then we slid the glass into the bar, and it stays nicely. Here's a pic of the two sided tape.

You put this on the glass first, then fold the bedding tape over it. That way the bedding tape stays on the glass. Then put the pane into the glass bar, and screw it in (it's a two-person job, one person outside holding the windowpane and the other inside screwing in the screws to the bar). I also think this two sided tape gave it extra width and gave the glass a snug fit into the bar. Keep me posted and if there's anything I can do to help you, let me know. I know I'm not a window expert, but a window mistake expert. Oh well, my parents always said if you can't be an example of what to do, you can always be an example of what not to do!!

Good luck!
Attached Images

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote