1967-68....tape... 3M/Scotch outdoor mounting #411
Thank you.

Old 05-25-2015, 03:26 PM   #16
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
Windows

David,
I agree with your assessment that the flat windows should hang vertically when relaxed. I checked mine and they nearly do, the bottom glass edge hangs freely within 1/8" of the gasket with the sill clamps retracted and unengaged with the glass clips. The curved windows, on the other hand, when closed in the same manner stand off the frame at the bottom edge by about an inch, which is just within the grip range of the amazing Philips sill winder/closer/clamper device.

This is a sketch of how I believe that the difference between tape and silicone can be visualized, just what makes sense to me. How the glass is angled/positioned into the silicone could matter... I've read that in the Olden Days, the now unavailable 1966 type I Airstream factory Corning glass replacements were shipped with the aluminum glass-bar already siliconed onto the glass. That makes me think that Philips/Corning wanted to have control of how the glass was bedded into the glass-bar.

Tape cannot be used in series I 1966. Series II and III, with the two piece bar were designed for tape. Taping is clean and simple. Tape accurately centers the glass in the channel of type II and III. Silicone bedding is inappropriate for '67-'68.

The bedding tape that I used, 3M Scotch #411 outdoor mounting tape is about 0.050” thick, 1” wide, and here I'll say that it works most excellently.

When all the nuances of these windows come into harmony, They hardly leak at all. When everything is “right”, the only place that they'll leak is through the top hinge. Searching this site, you'll find there is a silicone injection shop-fix for this that I won't be attempting, because if ever needed, I'm guessing that removing the clamp bar hinge after injecting it full if silicone, could get real ugly.

After a gale force rain on Lake Superior one night, I found only one window on the windward side, had let about an ounce of water through the top hinge and dripped onto the sill, which by design will hold about a cupful until it overflows. I'll live with that.

Sometimes you see a '66-'68 trailer with window eyebrows screwed onto the shell as a solution, but that defies the intended aesthetic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	silicone 3.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	239209   Click image for larger version

Name:	tape v silicone 1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	327.2 KB
ID:	239210  

Name:	tape v silicone 2.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	332.3 KB
ID:	239211   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mounting tape.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	239212  

Name:	Corning glass.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	239213  

Old 05-25-2015, 06:52 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
After 3 weeks of slowly flexing a piece of flat tempered glass, I am now within 1/8" of a complete seal. What most people don't realize is that while fragile in certain aspects, glass is very flexible. It will also take a set to a point. I have been in the window & door industry for over 20 years. Glass remains motile...I have seen glass from 100+ year old projects that is much thicker at the bottom than the top.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:52 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
I think the 66 to 68 Airstreams are the only ones without a drip cap above the windows. I am considering installing them on my 66. It will kinda make it look like a 65 in some respects. But Airstream designers see advantages in the drip cap. It would help keep water out of that hinge area.

We had some good soaking rains over the holiday weekend. I checked the 66 for leaks into the sill area and found none. But I need a downpour for a fair test. I did do an air pressure test on my 66 after I pulled the old caulking and silicone, and then resealed the seams. I felt it was an effective way to find leaks. I did find seven leaks in various spots around the trailer. The rear window was one of them.

One of the reasons my rear window won't hang vertically on its own is the fact that I stuffed my rubber seal all the way under the hinge. I may have some rubber compression going on there causing the window to hang out about 1" from the bottom seal with the glass bar opener disconnected. But I think it is enough binding that it causes the glass to deflect, or actually bow away from the rubber seals a bit.

It is amazing to me to watch this thin glass bend!

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1505 Leak Test 2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	261.9 KB
ID:	239238  
Old 05-27-2015, 07:50 PM   #19
67 Globetrotter

1967 20' Globetrotter
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Minnesota
replacement corning brackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob D View Post
Forgive me if this is not the right thread for this, but my 67 Overlander has original windows. One of the long top rails holding the glass has split at the point where the linkage applies pressure to open. It still holds the glass but the resulting flex keeps the window from opening more than an inch or two without propping it up with something. Any idea where I can get a new rail and how to remove and replace the glass assembly?
I think I just saw these on www.silvertrailersupply.com. I know they have some if the old windows in their used section so yeah
Old 05-30-2015, 07:32 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
1969 23' Safari
Redgranite , Wisconsin
Not familiar with where Inland sources their replacements.
Do know VTS has replacement and has satisfied customers.
Steve is good about balancing his solutions with the best available product with least compromise and will stand behind it.
Do know that his is thicker glass that may require frame modification as outlined on multiple episodes of THEVAP.com podcasts.
IF using plexi (not recommended) or Lexan (better) you will need two people to close the windows. One outside, one in.
Always admired the curves, since my 65 has flat glass. But, like the idea of easily replaced inexpensive glass over a short lived product run.
Love my 69 windows but not looking forward to front wing window one-year only shape replacement.
You might want to investigate the original "Chemical" temper versus today's tempering technique along with VTS thicker stock to determine which will be more durable. Time may have allowed improvements here, possibly for lower cost?
Make no changes for the sake of change, only improvements...right Wally?
Old 05-31-2015, 08:19 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
1967 26' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
We shall see! I ordered the stock from VTS and they arrived on Friday - shipping for four windows was $20. The people at VTS have been EXTREMELY helpful and available. Because of work, I had put off bringing the trailer home from storage until I could start. But as of today, it is sitting in the back yard parking area like a big aluminum yard ornament! I poked around a bit, getting to know the structure of the windows. I have compiled the available info, but nothing like seeing it and playing around with it. I am going to strip off the clear coat before I start the window project as do not want to ruin new window seals with aircraft stripper! Will start that tomorrow as is supposed to be in the 60's and overcast in Indy for the next few days.

Tomorrow as I poke around will start taking pictures.

Michael
Old 06-01-2015, 07:44 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Thanks for the advice. I am planning to purchase axles from Inland and will check them for the window bar. Don't want to weld my bar as it will be next to impossible to get it straight because of the retained stress from extrusion which welding will release.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:52 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
jackson center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
I will check on Tuesday but the ones Inland sells are from Airstream and I believe of off of the original fixtures. Stay tuned.
Here is the tag off a box of the Corning replacement glass. It is spec temp glass,currently made in Ohio and owned by Atwood. It is made to original spec's and has been sold for at least last the last 9 years through Airstream.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	239748  
Old 06-01-2015, 07:26 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
I think that's great news. Maybe any Airstream dealer can order it. I understand VTS worked very hard to get the glass manufactured again, and I wonder if it is the same source that Airstream uses (Atwood).

I imagine it can be ordered in all three sizes of windows including the large front and rear window "flat" glass.

David
Old 06-01-2015, 09:43 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
1967 26' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
It was drizzling today in Indy, so could not strip the trailer. Thus I had to poke around. I pulled the first mounting strip for a curved window and cleaned it. I routed the channel with an 1/8 bit on my corded Dremel. Can barely tell anything was removed. Before I set the VTS glass, I dry fitted it in the window. It fits the curve almost perfectly against the body with no gaskets in place. There is maybe a 1mm off. That will disappear easily with the retractors. I set the glass with RTV silicone in the channel. Even with the routing it was a snug fit. Great support from VTS when I had some questions. I installed new "V" gasket today and will install the window tomorrow after the silicone has cured. Took about an hour so far and am really happy with what I am seeing.

Only new question is how to get the old rusty clips off the original Corning windows. I have new ones but the old ones are really set! I don't want to force them for fear of ordering more windows!
Old 06-01-2015, 10:11 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Pullman , Washington
I got the rusty clips off my 67 GT Corning Windows by liberally applying WD-40, letting it sit overnight and then gently rocking the clips back and forth (motion on same plane as the glass). Patience was the key for me. Also, I ordered some new replacement clips from ATS and had to put some rubber gasket material behind them to keep them from sliding off the Corning windows. I asked ATS about this and they suggested silicon, but no way am I putting that goo on my windows.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:38 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Flat Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
I think that's great news. Maybe any Airstream dealer can order it. I understand VTS worked very hard to get the glass manufactured again, and I wonder if it is the same source that Airstream uses (Atwood).

I imagine it can be ordered in all three sizes of windows including the large front and rear window "flat" glass.

David
David, If you visit your local glass shop you will find that you can order (automotive safety heat tempered) flat glass with rounded bottom corners and pencil sanded edges in 1/8" thickness for a lot less money than from any of the trailer suppliers, Airstream, Out of Doors Mart or other dealers that make it available for our trailers. Compare prices for it and then add shipping and I think you will order it from your local source. I did this for my front and rear windows and saved a bunch of money. Same quality glass and backed by PPG in my case. Hope this helps, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:34 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Thanks biged52, of course this is the way to go. I had forgotten flat glass is much easier to source, even at 1/8" thickness. I guess that's why some folks like their 65 flat window Airstreams. Window glass is less of an issue.

David