Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2015, 07:19 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
1967 26' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
We shall see! I ordered the stock from VTS and they arrived on Friday - shipping for four windows was $20. The people at VTS have been EXTREMELY helpful and available. Because of work, I had put off bringing the trailer home from storage until I could start. But as of today, it is sitting in the back yard parking area like a big aluminum yard ornament! I poked around a bit, getting to know the structure of the windows. I have compiled the available info, but nothing like seeing it and playing around with it. I am going to strip off the clear coat before I start the window project as do not want to ruin new window seals with aircraft stripper! Will start that tomorrow as is supposed to be in the 60's and overcast in Indy for the next few days.

Tomorrow as I poke around will start taking pictures.

Michael
beatrix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:44 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Thanks for the advice. I am planning to purchase axles from Inland and will check them for the window bar. Don't want to weld my bar as it will be next to impossible to get it straight because of the retained stress from extrusion which welding will release.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:52 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
jackson center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
I will check on Tuesday but the ones Inland sells are from Airstream and I believe of off of the original fixtures. Stay tuned.
Here is the tag off a box of the Corning replacement glass. It is spec temp glass,currently made in Ohio and owned by Atwood. It is made to original spec's and has been sold for at least last the last 9 years through Airstream.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	239748  
Schu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:26 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I think that's great news. Maybe any Airstream dealer can order it. I understand VTS worked very hard to get the glass manufactured again, and I wonder if it is the same source that Airstream uses (Atwood).

I imagine it can be ordered in all three sizes of windows including the large front and rear window "flat" glass.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:43 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
1967 26' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
It was drizzling today in Indy, so could not strip the trailer. Thus I had to poke around. I pulled the first mounting strip for a curved window and cleaned it. I routed the channel with an 1/8 bit on my corded Dremel. Can barely tell anything was removed. Before I set the VTS glass, I dry fitted it in the window. It fits the curve almost perfectly against the body with no gaskets in place. There is maybe a 1mm off. That will disappear easily with the retractors. I set the glass with RTV silicone in the channel. Even with the routing it was a snug fit. Great support from VTS when I had some questions. I installed new "V" gasket today and will install the window tomorrow after the silicone has cured. Took about an hour so far and am really happy with what I am seeing.

Only new question is how to get the old rusty clips off the original Corning windows. I have new ones but the old ones are really set! I don't want to force them for fear of ordering more windows!
Old 06-01-2015, 09:11 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Pullman , Washington
I got the rusty clips off my 67 GT Corning Windows by liberally applying WD-40, letting it sit overnight and then gently rocking the clips back and forth (motion on same plane as the glass). Patience was the key for me. Also, I ordered some new replacement clips from ATS and had to put some rubber gasket material behind them to keep them from sliding off the Corning windows. I asked ATS about this and they suggested silicon, but no way am I putting that goo on my windows.
Feedforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:38 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Flat Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
I think that's great news. Maybe any Airstream dealer can order it. I understand VTS worked very hard to get the glass manufactured again, and I wonder if it is the same source that Airstream uses (Atwood).

I imagine it can be ordered in all three sizes of windows including the large front and rear window "flat" glass.

David
David, If you visit your local glass shop you will find that you can order (automotive safety heat tempered) flat glass with rounded bottom corners and pencil sanded edges in 1/8" thickness for a lot less money than from any of the trailer suppliers, Airstream, Out of Doors Mart or other dealers that make it available for our trailers. Compare prices for it and then add shipping and I think you will order it from your local source. I did this for my front and rear windows and saved a bunch of money. Same quality glass and backed by PPG in my case. Hope this helps, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:34 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Thanks biged52, of course this is the way to go. I had forgotten flat glass is much easier to source, even at 1/8" thickness. I guess that's why some folks like their 65 flat window Airstreams. Window glass is less of an issue.

David
Old 06-03-2015, 04:22 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
1967 26' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
After stripping clear coat off the trailer yesterday - absolute breeze with the PPG stripper, decided to put in the new windows. All I can say is one word - DREMEL! My corded Dremel made this job a breeze.

Cleaned up the top rails as had varying amounts of silicone and old plexi from the replacement windows. Once I got 95% of the junk out, took my Dremel with a 1/8 bit and ran it the length of the channel. That accomplished two things - opening the channel ever so slightly for the thicker glass and got the balance of the old junk out. Took several passes and made sure all the residual junk was cleaned out. Did a dry fit, though did not fully put them on the windows. It was easy to tell if they would go on or not.

Once the top rail was ready, put a small bead of RTV silicone the length of the rail and fitted it on the top of the glass and slowly fitted in into the channel. Finished off the fit with a rubber mallet. Made sure the window was on a flexible surface. The VTS windows fit snug and secure. Let the silicone cure.

Reinstalled and let the windows down over the new seals. Installed new stainless clips - had to use just a tiny spot of the RTV silicone to make sure they stay in place.

Now, the big thing. The curve. To the critical eye, the curve is off a TINY bit. The windows seal just fine. The middle of the curve is maybe a fraction of an inch higher than the curve of the trailer. I will post a picture later.

Overall I am very happy with them. The cost was reasonable and the support was just great. I would order these again in a heartbeat, but hope I don't have to!
Old 06-04-2015, 04:19 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Most excellent! You have a steady hand with that Dremel. Maybe we should call you "the Bridgeport."

David
Old 06-04-2015, 09:06 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
1967 26' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
Replacement Windows

So here are the pictures. REALLY hard to tell from the pictures. If you are standing by the side of the trailer you can tell the difference. But if you are my neighbor who stopped by, you cannot! First is the new window, second is an original Corning window and third is just a shot of the new window (with the bad lower window that is on the list to replace). I replaced the seals on the new windows and will be replacing those on the originals in the coming weeks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4552.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	240028   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4555.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	240029  

Name:	IMG_4557.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	240030  
Old 06-04-2015, 09:10 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
1967 26' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
Have to add. Neighbor stopped by to see why I had yet ANOTHER old Airstream in the backyard. He saw the windows and said they were just a work of art. Thought they were beautiful how they were designed. This is why I bought a 1967! Oh, and the ash interior!