Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-01-2008, 10:16 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Blairstown , New Jersey
Corning Glass Window Trim Replacement

Our Trade Wind was manufactured in the spring of 1967. When we purchased it in the spring of 2007, it had original windows on the front, back, and streetside. The windows on the curbside were plexiglass, which I have since replaced. Oddly, two of the three windows on the streetside and the rear flat window had the stainless steel trim. The streetside bedroom window and the front flat window did not have the trim. I don't know the history of the trailer to determine how this came about.

Since both my wife and I like the look of the trim, I set about finding trim to add to the two original and two replacement windows. Having read in the forum that the stainless trim currently offered only fits Lexan, I checked with a glass supplier about a different replacement. What I found was reasonably appropriate aluminum trim manufactured by C.R. Laurence Co., Inc.

The good points are that the trim is fairly cheap ($48 delivered) for two 12'6" pieces and that it comes in thicknesses for both the original 3/32" glass as well as the new 1/8" now supplied. Since it is aluminum, it is easy to cut and file. It bends to the curve of the window easily. Disadvantages are that it is not stainless, it is not exactly the same width as the original, and it has 90 degree edges rather than curved.

To install for each window, I cut two 24" pieces, as that length will allow the trim to be pretty much centered on the latches. Whether the windows were curved or flat, 24" still worked. Then, I polished the aluminum trim on a buffing wheel. The pieces were then trial fit on the window so that I could mark where to cut out a triangle so that the corner could be done in one piece as original. I placed a small bead of clear RTV silicone into the channel of the trim and attached to the window, being careful to line up the corner so that the bend would only have to be done once. Bending twice will probably break the aluminum, and while I don't think many people would notice, I liked the challenge of making the trim as much like the original as possible. The short bottom piece was duct-taped to hold it in place while the silicone cured. Finally, I measured between the two side pieces to cut the bottom piece before installing the clips.

Close inspection will reveal some difference from the stainless due to the brightness of the polish, but from 5' it looks great. Of course, the aluminum will oxidize over time. Also, the largest clips available from Vintage Trailer Supply will need to be reworked to fit the trim on the new windows. I haven't installed them yet, but I figure that tapping them down over a piece of 3/16" steel and then clamping them back with some pliers will do the trick. The large clips fit perfectly on the older windows with the new trim.

The URL for the two types of trim I used, 35050 and 35051 are:
Catalog Number 35050 - CRL Adhesive Bond Storm Window Edge Wrap Frame for Single Strength Glass=
Catalog Number 35051 - CRL Adhesive Bond Storm Window Edge Wrap Frame for Double Strength Glass=

Wayne Rasmussen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sample Face.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	51776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sample Edge.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	51777  

Name:	Left Side.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	51778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Corner Closeup.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	51779  

rasmuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:23 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Blairstown , New Jersey
Corning Glass Window Trim Replacement

I forgot to add one picture of the whole window.

Wayne
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Window.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	51780  
rasmuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Thanks for the information and pics- that is a great source.

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 01:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Wayne, Great looking fix to make all the windows look similar to the existing ones on your trailer. The SS trimmed windows were not original to the '67 but I think may have been an option. Or they could have been replaced by glass from the '68 trailers which came with the SS trim. Either way I sent you some Karma for giving such a good How-to and pictures of your procedure. Great work! Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote