Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2010, 04:38 AM   #1
Plays with old toys

1979 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Toronto , Ontario
Converting to a removable rear window in our '79 31ft Sovereign

Hi all,
Been searching and looking through many threads but surprised I cannnot find this topic discussed in the past.

Basically I want to convert the rear window in our '79 31ft Sovereign (midbath/rear bedroom) to a removable design, for the following reasons:

- Easy emergency escape in case of fire, etc.
- Pass large items through (for example we could bring our 16ft canoe through the back window so we wouldn't have to load it up on the pickup)

Ideally I'd like to leave it swing at the top, but if not then a removable pin-type hinge up there would do the trick?

Maybe it will swing out far enough as it is, and I just need to disconnect the support rods?
'75 Chevy Silverado, '65 Chevy Sting Ray Convertible
Click for Photo album
pauluptime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:04 AM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Not sure about your 79 but in our 76 center bath 31' the rear window is the "Emergency Exit". Is it an issue of needing the window to open more to suit your particular needs or wanting to be able to remove the window all together?

Regards,

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The window should have a decal below it saying it is an escape exit. Just disconnect the support arms when you need complete access. The upper hinge is a interlocking channel that allows you to remove the window completely when you need to. It is pretty heavy so it is a two person job and a bit of a hassle aligning it when you put it back on.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
Plays with old toys

1979 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Toronto , Ontario
Thanks Kevin and Dwight for your quick, helpful replies.

There is no decal on the back window or anything else in the area identifying it as an emergency exit.

Aside from a quick emerg-exit feature, I really just wondered if we might be able to load our canoe through the back, and if so that might be a worthwhile option to carrying the canoe on the TV. We already plan to keep our bikes inside the trailer when we travel.

Here's a link to our pics to see the back window open. Our Seasonal Campsite In Bancroft Ontario - Jennie mends the new/old vintage curtains, perfect! Photo Gallery

If only there was a way to bring our old Corvette along too, but that's for a different type of road tripping.

When I get back up to our camp this spring I'll check to see how difficult to remove the screen, pull off the prop/supports, and see how high the hinges allow it to swing.
'75 Chevy Silverado, '65 Chevy Sting Ray Convertible
Click for Photo album
pauluptime is offline   Reply With Quote