Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2006, 08:35 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Condensation Drain Holes

Did 70's Airstreams with the dual pane windows have condensation holes drilled on an angle in the lower window frame from the factory?

I just noticed on my '77, every big dual pane window has had these holes drilled into the frames. Only the two front corner windows and the vista views do not have them.

I was thinking they did not come that way stock, but that some PO did it. Whoever did do it did a good job and managed to not hit any glass. It also keeps them from clouding up.

I'm going to have to knock the inner panes out on the vista views. The scotch tint has pulled loose and disentigrated and looks terrible...
Old 04-07-2006, 05:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden
Did 70's Airstreams with the dual pane windows have condensation holes drilled on an angle in the lower window frame from the factory?

I just noticed on my '77, every big dual pane window has had these holes drilled into the frames. Only the two front corner windows and the vista views do not have them.

I was thinking they did not come that way stock, but that some PO did it. Whoever did do it did a good job and managed to not hit any glass. It also keeps them from clouding up.

I'm going to have to knock the inner panes out on the vista views. The scotch tint has pulled loose and disentigrated and looks terrible...
Jim.

Those windows did not come that way.

The Po drilled them for drain holes.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 09:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Thanks Andy!
Old 04-16-2006, 10:33 PM   #4

1975 25' Tradewind
Huntington Beach , California
Hey Jim,

Any chance you have any pictures of these drain holes? If so, I'd love to see them. I had heard of this a while back and am thinking of doing that to my wing windows which are perpetually fogged.

Just not sure how to proceed. It would help to see a picture or two.

T-man
Torii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 08:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
T-Man, give me a day or two and I'll get some pics for you.

Looks like he drilled them on a 45 degree up angle, starting low on the outside below where the pane of glass is, then up on the angel to come into the void between the panes. I'm sure you want to be super careful, if you rub the edge of the pane too hard with the bit, it'll probably crack. I'll get some pics and put 'em on here as soon as I can.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Finally got you some pics

T-Man,

Sorry so slow. Here are the pics. Some are better than others.

Basically, the PO drilled a hole of about 1/16" diameter or so on about a 45 degree angle in from the outer skin into the void between the panes. He did this on all windows but the vista views. You can see in the one pic how terrible my vista views look (I uploaded that image last but for some reason it got stuck int he middle...). I was going to bust out the inner panes on those, but saw a guy on here the other day talking about how he'd taken them completely apart, cleaned all the gunk out, and put a vent in. He was going to expound upon that proces and I've not checked back yet to see if he had. So that may be a better option. Anyway, I hope these help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vent2.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	20699   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vent3.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	20700  

Name:	Vent4.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	20701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vent6.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	20703  

Name:	Vent7.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	20704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vent9.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	20706  

Attached Images

Old 04-22-2006, 03:45 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Billings , Montana
Insulating Glass Factoids

Those holes in the bottom of the window frames are not to drain the condensation from between the insulated glass, their purpose is to drain any accumulated water that leaks past the vinyl gasket, which wraps around the insulated glass, to the outside so the bottom of the glass does not sit in the collected moisture. This adds life to the insulated unit and I beg to differ from Andy, but they are factory applied. Check the insulated glass installation instructions from PPG Industries, the people who made the units originally.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Interesting

Very interesting. Makes sense. I shall have to look into this further.

All I can say is that my big windows all have these holes and none of them seem to ever fog up. The vista views do not have the holes and they do fog up, in addition to looking horrible with the disintigrated scotch tint. It's on the list of things to fix.

Maybe the vista views collect moisture due to the outer gasket letting water get past, so that those double panes are sitting in a bath of moisture, and that causes them to fog up excessively?
Old 04-23-2006, 11:33 PM   #9

1975 25' Tradewind
Huntington Beach , California
Hey Jim

Thanks for the pictures. My front wing windows suffer from constant moisture between the panes. It was suggested to me some time ago that I try this approach but as you point out it seems a bit risky to say the least. In the case of the wing windows I can't tell exactley where the glass begins behind the aluminum surround. I'd hate to break one as they are expensive to replace and clear ones are no longer available (smoked only)

here is the thread where I first heard of this drilling...

Thanks again!

-T
Torii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 08:13 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
I believe I read that thread awhile back. Actually, one of my wing windows is solar gray and the other clear. I guess the PO must have broken one and replaced it with the newer one. Bummer for him! I actually never even noticed it...my dad did and pointed it out. He could always find the flaw in a Michaelangelo painting
Old 04-24-2006, 08:20 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden
Very interesting. Makes sense. I shall have to look into this further.

All I can say is that my big windows all have these holes and none of them seem to ever fog up. The vista views do not have the holes and they do fog up, in addition to looking horrible with the disintigrated scotch tint. It's on the list of things to fix.

Maybe the vista views collect moisture due to the outer gasket letting water get past, so that those double panes are sitting in a bath of moisture, and that causes them to fog up excessively?
You've got it exactly right Jim. The other part of the problem is that over the years, the drying agent between the 2 pcs of glass becomes saturated with moisture and eventually begins to condense on the inside of the insulated unit. The technology used back then was not as efficient as today and insulating units still fail today for the same reasons even with new technology.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:56 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1986 34' Limited
South Lake Tahoe , California
window repair

Has anyone had success with taking the windows apart and replacing the desicant strip (which is available) after polishing off the baked on film? Has anyone asked Milgard to make a similar window for them; their windows are for life. Best, Ernie
Ernie2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:58 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Flower Mound , Texas
Smile Tint came loose

I have a 1974 that the tint appears to have come un-stuck to the windows. Mainly the Vista View windows. Does anyone know if you can get new replacement windows, or any ideas on how to fix the original windows?

Thanks!
booman80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 10:44 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by booman80
I have a 1974 that the tint appears to have come un-stuck to the windows. Mainly the Vista View windows. Does anyone know if you can get new replacement windows, or any ideas on how to fix the original windows?

Thanks!
Replacement windows are available, but they are all single pane construction.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 10:58 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Angel73
Not sure but

Quote:
Originally Posted by booman80

Thanks!
But ours have like a silver ring around the vista windows on the inside.That my hubby remove and we just scraped the old tint.And now he waiting to put on new tint. Just a thought before have to spend money...lol