Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2015, 09:19 AM   #1
60 Safari Land Yacht

1960 22' Safari
Burnet , Tx Hill Country
Clearview frame repair

My Clearview window frame has broken at the mittered 90. These frames appear to just have a blob of solder holding them together. Need advice on how to get it fixed. Thanks
Edventers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
I had a Hehr window frame fixed for my '64...aluminum welding.

Previous owner had used a steel angle bracket to fix it- ugly! The current repair is holding up well and blends right in.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Vintage trailer supply sells a welding kit for aluminum. uses these rods, but you have to get the metal you're bonding pretty hot. I've used it on small pieces, including one spot where the aluminum had been torn from my bumper trunk cover. was able to completely repair and polish it. I would expect you'd have to take the glass out to use it though. The other option might be JB weld for metal, but you'd have to be able to squeeze some mass in there. rough up the material, clean with acetone, then try it. I don't know what your windows look like though.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Alumi-Pro Welding Kit
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote