Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2008, 09:35 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Shoreline , Washington
Clear Wrap Window Glass and other related questions

Been reading quite a bit on these forums about replacing the wrap window on my 77 Argosy 24. I had the unfortunate experience of having it blow out while traveling across a very raining pass this last weekend...sigh.

I called the nice folks at Inland RV and got a price but was told they only come in smoked glass instead of the original clear glass the Argosy had. I suppose this isn't a surprise to most of you folks but at $750 per side, plus install, plus rock guards this is becoming a very unsatisfying expense. Unlike a new floor, upholstery or appliances there is nothing gratifying about dropping $2500 on friggin' glass. I paid $1700 for the trailer.

Are these things hard to replace? I've searched through the forums but I haven't found a really good how-to. I'm probably blind but any first-hand experiences and/or recommendations would be great. Or a link to what's already been posted...

I also have another silly question. Are the rock guards that Airstream sells see through from the inside of the trailer looking out. If you can see out of them while inside the trailer I can see not replacing the other perfectly good side for a while. After all, the rock guards are smoked too, so who'd really know...

I should have kept the boat.
Under The Banyan Trees w/Steely Dan
https://www.banyantrees.net
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
StAlphonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAlphonzo View Post
Been reading quite a bit on these forums about replacing the wrap window on my 77 Argosy 24. I had the unfortunate experience of having it blow out while traveling across a very raining pass this last weekend...sigh.

I called the nice folks at Inland RV and got a price but was told they only come in smoked glass instead of the original clear glass the Argosy had. I suppose this isn't a surprise to most of you folks but at $750 per side, plus install, plus rock guards this is becoming a very unsatisfying expense. Unlike a new floor, upholstery or appliances there is nothing gratifying about dropping $2500 on friggin' glass. I paid $1700 for the trailer.

Are these things hard to replace? I've searched through the forums but I haven't found a really good how-to. I'm probably blind but any first-hand experiences and/or recommendations would be great. Or a link to what's already been posted...

I also have another silly question. Are the rock guards that Airstream sells see through from the inside of the trailer looking out. If you can see out of them while inside the trailer I can see not replacing the other perfectly good side for a while. After all, the rock guards are smoked too, so who'd really know...

I should have kept the boat.
Clear glass "wrap windows" are not available

Wrap windows are not difficult to replace. The instructions are simple, but must be followed to a "T". The first one would take about 4 hours, and the second one even less. We offer verbal assistance with all of our glass orders.

Why not get your insurance company involved? If you do not have insurance on the trailer, then your homeowners policy would step in.

Solar gray rockguards allow you to see through them from the inside of the trailer, during daylight hours, but not at night time. By the same token, you cannot see into the trailer from the outside during the day, but you can during the night.

The color of the rockguards are several times darker than the solar gray windows.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Shoreline , Washington
Thanks Andy. I think I'll take a stab at replacing this thing myself. I figure I can always have the other two windows tinted if it ends up bugging me or I restore the trailer.
Under The Banyan Trees w/Steely Dan
https://www.banyantrees.net
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
StAlphonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:22 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Two things:
1-The rock guards are see-through from the inside.
2-A roll of window tint is about $20, you can tint the other wing window and center window to match your new tinted window (or at least close enough most people won't notice).
Old 06-11-2008, 08:49 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
West Lafayette , Indiana
I had this problem last fall and ended up replacing it myself. I removed the frame and had a local glass shop cut a piece of scratch resistant lexan (the good stuff) to fit. I also purchased some rock guards to protect the window from the sun and from air pressure of oncoming trucks. It really was not that hard to do. Simply drill out the rivets and remove the frame. Take the frame to a local glass shop and have them cut a piece of lexan to size. You may need to work with the piece to get it to fit correctly by adjusting the frame and shaving it. Once you have it sized right install using TremPro 635 and a hand full of sheet metal screws to hold it in place. Then drill your new holes and secure with Olympic rivets.

If you’re lucky and you broke the street side window you can always buy one of these off ebay (this is a rare find).
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Airstream-1980s-Travel-Trailer-Front-Window_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1 247QQcategoryZ50069QQihZ017QQitemZ270172907072QQrd Z1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Good luck,
Carl
jcberlin is offline   Reply With Quote