Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2015, 01:01 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Clear glass replacement for door

We have a 2009 27' FB Flying Cloud. As with almost all AS, the door window is opaque. I would like to put clear glass in the opening. I searched the forum and could not find a thread regarding window replacement. Has anyone done this or can point me to information that would help? Thanks.

BTW I have the "windows to nowhere" trailer.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:50 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

AUSTIN , TX
Bumping this request (sorry I don't have an answer!). I have a 2001 Safari and the door window is Opaque - so much so that I can't see a thing out of it and I don't have a ton of windows on that side of the tin can. I am parked semi permanently near a national park and that door window would be my money view!

If there's anyone out there who has done this:
  • Where did you find your glass?
  • Were you able to make the change yourself? If so, how difficult?
  • Would you do again?
  • Any pitfalls to avoid? Suggestions?
aboyd03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:59 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyd03 View Post
Bumping this request (sorry I don't have an answer!). I have a 2001 Safari and the door window is Opaque - so much so that I can't see a thing out of it and I don't have a ton of windows on that side of the tin can. I am parked semi permanently near a national park and that door window would be my money view!

If there's anyone out there who has done this:

• Where did you find your glass?
  • Were you able to make the change yourself? If so, how difficult?
  • Would you do again?
  • Any pitfalls to avoid? Suggestions?

Another bump. I’m also interested in installing clear glass. Seems odd to me they didn’t do this my default and offer some sort of privacy shade as an option.
polyester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:27 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1979 31' Sovereign
1999 25' Safari
Youngsville , North Carolina
Airstream used to have clear glass in door with roll up shade that was installed in the interior of the door between the exterior and interior skins. this arrangement allowed the screen door to stay attached to cabin door. Problem was the spring on the roll up shade would lose tension and not allow shade to roll up. To repair you had to remove interior door skin and then rivet it back on. The 70's trailers I had had this feature.

Steve
heslinhotel is offline   Reply With Quote