Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2004, 05:22 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
, California
Can't Remove Window

I'm starting the gasket-replacement process for all the windows in my '66 Globetrotter, and I'm already stuck on the first one. I'm working with the small window ("vista"?) near the door that has an even smaller fixed window below. No matter what angle I swing the window up, I can't free it from the curved hinge. Jiggling it from side to side or up and down doesn't quite do it. It's close -- but not close enough and I really don't want to put too much force on it.

I jiggled, tapped, jostled and torqued it for a half-hour before giving up. Any techniques or advice for a not-so-handyman? (And yes, I did remove the clip on the arm that secures it to the frame.)

thanks, TB
bentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 07:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Trick question?

You don't need to remove the window glass on a '66 to replace the gasket. The gasket only goes on three sides of the window (2 sides and the bottom). So, no problem!

-- RL
rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 07:58 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
, California
Ahh -- is the "three-sided gasket" situation the case for all the windows in the '66 Globetrotter? My gaskets are so trashed and compressed that I couldn't tell that there might not be gasketing under the hinge of this first one.

So, have all you old Globetrotter owners (that needed replacement gaskets) done them without removing the windows?

thanks, Tom B.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
All the operable 1966-1968 windows have three-sided gaskets. The hinge mechanism at the top is not removable and there's no way to put a gasket in it. Removing the window won't do any good.

I recommend you read this thread, which shows how to remove and replace the gaskets.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...?threadid=7424

-- RL
rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 01:46 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
, California
Thanks for the link. I've got it all printed out and my scrapers and adhesive at the ready. (And despite popular (?) songs, it DOES rain in California -- fresh gaskets are long overdue.)

Thanks again for being so quick to post, and with good advice.

-- Tom B.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:26 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Red face removing windows complete with top frame.

I am also trying to remove a side window complete with top frame, as I have procured a great second hand curved corning glass unit to replace a lexan panel which will not seal properly with gaskets and therefore is not weathertight. Has anyone had any success in finding a way to remove this glass and frame together?
thanks James
technautica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by technautica View Post
I am also trying to remove a side window complete with top frame, as I have procured a great second hand curved corning glass unit to replace a lexan panel which will not seal properly with gaskets and therefore is not weathertight. Has anyone had any success in finding a way to remove this glass and frame together?
thanks James
James, simply remove the Corning glass from the frame assembly (from the glass clamp) and replace just the Lexan panel. Most of the time the Plexiglas/Lexan panels flex when closed and don't seal properly and that is the reason most of them leak. The new seal to replace the old style three fin gasket with is the "D" shaped gasket that Airstream uses on the new trailers to seal the entry door. You can order it from any Airstream dealer. Instructions for glass replacement for all three model years '66,'67 and '68 can be found on the VintageTrailerSupply.com website. Select the windows tab and the for the model years glass. You'll see info to install link there. Hope this helps... by the way... What year/model trailer do you own? Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:47 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

window replacement

Ed; Thanks for the tip. I went to the vintage trailer site and saw the process. If I had no bad luck, I would have no luck at all. My trailer has type 1 glass bar/hinge, and the replacement glass I was able to get has type 2 glass bar. That means I have to separate new corning glass from its existing bar and replace it in the old type 1 bar. I just hope I can get the type 1 bar out so it will be easier to install corning glass. Wish me luck. My trailer is a 1966 Overlander which has gone thru a 2 year restoration.
technautica is offline   Reply With Quote