Old 07-08-2011, 08:52 AM   #1

Dahlonega , Georgia
Can type 3 glass bars go on a '66?

I am looking at restoring a 66 sovereign and it seems most of the windows need to be replaced. If not broken, the rest need to seal better.

I have been reading up on the hinges and glass bars and found there are three types. type 3 seems to be the easiest to keep up with and replace the windows. But since I do not own the airstream yet and have not done anything like this before I am unfamiliar with the proccess.

Will it be a nightmare to get a good fit and seal with the type1 or type 2 bars, and would it be possible to change them out and put type 3 in a 1966 ?

Old 07-08-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by deploy View Post
I am looking at restoring a 66 sovereign and it seems most of the windows need to be replaced. If not broken, the rest need to seal better.

I have been reading up on the hinges and glass bars and found there are three types. type 3 seems to be the easiest to keep up with and replace the windows. But since I do not own the airstream yet and have not done anything like this before I am unfamiliar with the proccess.

Will it be a nightmare to get a good fit and seal with the type1 or type 2 bars, and would it be possible to change them out and put type 3 in a 1966 ?
Photo's, please.

Andy

Old 07-08-2011, 11:43 AM   #3

Dahlonega , Georgia
I really like the website site Its great that you guys are on here. I was looking at using your company pretty much exclusively for the restoration.

Although I am somewhat at a loss determining if this is a good investment or if the initial trailer is over priced. This is my first trialer and my first rebuild.

Here are the pictures of the windows that were sent to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00359.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	134249   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00360.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	134250  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00361.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	134251   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00366.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	134253  

Attached Images

Old 07-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
This is not an investment quality type, and, if you start mixing odd thing upon it...it gets worse. Go or the fun of it.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #5

Dahlonega , Georgia
Investment in different terms. In terms of cost of the repair, labor, time, work etc. I am looking for joy of using it as well as working on it, but like everything else .. there are good starting points and a verity of choices.

It seems like the different type bars were a functional upgrade rather then a distinguishing factor between years. I am certainly not looking to rebuild, sell, and make a profit. I would like to make sure the one I do purchase, and this one I am interested in, that there are parts available, and it is easy to work on and I guess, not trying to dig out of a ditch to get started.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
those windows taped closed because they leak? If so that can be fixed with the silicone seal fix that Andy from Inland mentions here in another thread. The hinges leak at the top. You might be sure to check that trailer for floor rot, frame rust and so on before worrying to much about the windows. There are major issues that all older Airstreams can have, even the best of them.
I am in GA too...and we have a local group of Airstream enthusiasts that meet a few times a year to camp together. Check it out if you are interested.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
A 1966 can have type 1 or 2. I have not been able to find a way to change from one to another of the 3 types. I believe that the type 3 is the easiest to work with and can understand why you would want to change. Can you post a close up of the inside of the window up by the hinge area? That will help determine which type window you have.

Upon thinking further....
I do not believe that the types can be converter from one to another with out removing the window frame and dismantling it to slide out the bar.

AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote