Old 11-23-2008, 10:57 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Originally Posted by ishmael View Post
Yes, this is exactly what we have on our trailer - with the exception that ours has a couple of decent cracks. Not sure if I called it the right thing in saying it was Butyrate, but was going off of original manuals or something I read. Feel free to correct me if it's wrong. Anyone know of a way to find a replacement the has the curved same shape and look?? Thanks
We have the solar gray replacement that Airstream has had for over 30 years.

Fits your Excella, exactly.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:10 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
1971 27' Overlander
1970 25' Tradewind
1989 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
cromwell , Kentucky
fiberglass replacement??

Hello Everyone,
The Window protector on my Overlander is also cracked in many places. I have contacted the man that I bought a fiberglass astrodome cover from and am trying to get him to make a fiberglass replacement. I want a protector that has the same shape as the original. I am trying to convince the guy that there are people looking for a less expensive cover that is shaped like the old one, it would not be clear or smoked, off-white? I will post if I get more information. Don

Don Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:01 AM   #17
Vintage Trailer Supply
Commercial Member
1956 22' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Montpelier , Vermont
Hi Don,

Fiberglass is a neat idea for a vintage rock guard. In the 1950s and up to 1966, that's what Airstream used. They used an un-gelcoated corrugated fiberglass in either a milky white or a green. Fiberglass is an excellent material for a lot of exterior applications. The only downside to fiberglass is that it is not at all transparent. It is more translucent at best. The other issue you'll need to consider is the structure. You'll need some sort of corrugation (a 3-D pattern) in order to give it strength. But the original 70s guards had a pattern to them that might work. Keep up the great ingenuity. We definitely need more old-school solutions to match the vintage trailers.

Steve Hingtgen
Vintage Trailer Supply
WBCCI #1573
VintageRV is offline   Reply With Quote