Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2017, 01:10 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Build your own rock guard...you can do it!

I used a shrinker and a stretcher to recreate the C-channel that goes around the back of the trailer. They are great tools to have. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	306.5 KB
ID:	299930

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:55 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Aumsville , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I used a shrinker and a stretcher to recreate the C-channel that goes around the back of the trailer. They are great tools to have. Attachment 299930
That is one tool I'm fairly ignorant about. How did you do a piece of c-channel in that plane? I would think you'd only be able to put the side walls of the c into the device. I guess I'd better hop on youtube.

What's the difference with steel vs aluminum jaws? Will the jaws intended for steel mar the aluminum? Or will they just not grip it properly?
pvfjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:05 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Build your own rock guard...you can do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvfjr View Post
That is one tool I'm fairly ignorant about. How did you do a piece of c-channel in that plane? I would think you'd only be able to put the side walls of the c into the device. I guess I'd better hop on youtube.

What's the difference with steel vs aluminum jaws? Will the jaws intended for steel mar the aluminum? Or will they just not grip it properly?

I made an outer piece out of angle, shaped the curves, than I made an inner piece out of angle, again I shaped the curves, and then I welded the two pieces together making a channel.

My understanding is that if a person uses dies meant for steel on aluminum, that tiny bits of aluminum break off and clog the grooves in the dies.

That may be just talk to sell another set of dies, but that is what the retailers say. That said, I have shaped small pieces of aluminum with my steel dies.

It was a minimal usage, I didn’t “cheat” very much, but I had no problems.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:44 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Aumsville , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I made an outer piece out of angle, shaped the curves, than I made an inner piece out of angle, again I shaped the curves, and then I welded the two pieces together making a channel.
That makes a lot more sense. I couldn't figure out how you'd curve the backside of channel in-plane. So I guess lieu of being a wizard, you're just clever instead.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:11 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvfjr View Post
That makes a lot more sense. I couldn't figure out how you'd curve the backside of channel in-plane. So I guess lieu of being a wizard, you're just clever instead.

Lol I word with what I have.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:00 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
My rock guard is still hanging in there after a couple trips to the Keys and lots of other more local trips. I will have to look up this stretcher gizmo. My son & his wife bought an Avion that has the big black rock guard. I really like the looks of this one & the light it brings into the trailer. I may have to make them one. I'll have to look back on how to do it! Good luck making it. It's not hard....just a little time consuming!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:13 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Aumsville , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky B. View Post
My rock guard is still hanging in there after a couple trips to the Keys and lots of other more local trips. I will have to look up this stretcher gizmo. My son & his wife bought an Avion that has the big black rock guard. I really like the looks of this one & the light it brings into the trailer. I may have to make them one. I'll have to look back on how to do it! Good luck making it. It's not hard....just a little time consuming!
Thanks for the update; it's always nice to find out how things have worked for people over some span of time.

As for the shrinker/stretcher, I know of a few folks who use these:
https://www.harborfreight.com/metal-...set-68897.html
I haven't seen or used them in person, so I can't endorse them directly. I'll probably give them a try though.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:47 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Mine is harbor freight model. Works great. I did not buy the stand with foot pedal. Instead I just clamp it in a bench vise & use the handle.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:57 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
If you're impressed with this, be sure to check out Becky B's Hillbilly Leak Tester and Casement Air Conditioner installation in her thread. Good stuff.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote