Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2004, 08:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Bubbling Windows

We are new owners of a 77 Excella 500. There are a couple of windows that are bubbling. I, at first thought that it was an interior sheeting tint and I could just strip and reapply. However, it appears the tint is inside the glass, right? Does this mean the window must be replaced and if so can a standard glass company do it?
75Airstream500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 09:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
You have the Thermapane (pain)dual pane windows that tend to delaminate. Andy at Inlandrv.com can get replacements,but I believe there single pane and not cheap.Or you can check into Colaw's RV salvage,that has been mentioned on many previous posts.I haven't heard of any standard glass companies,that can create the curvature needed.Good luck in your search,we have a few that are doing the same,we rotated them into the bedroom area.Jeff
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 09:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Inside pane

Hello.. The inside pane can be removed ....... do a search.. no need to buy new.. single pane will work great.. Annie and Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 09:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
I've been doing a search for removing the inner pane of these windows. thus far,I have only have found or knew of removing the inner pane from the lower sill windows and the upper vistaviews,but nothing regarding the curved framed opening windows.Jeff
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 05:09 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy82301
Hello.. The inside pane can be removed ....... do a search.. no need to buy new.. single pane will work great.. Annie and Marvin
Thank you Happy. I went out and took a looksee. I then noticed that our kitchen window inside pane had been removed. I thought they had just bought a new glass without a tint until further investigation. Now I will have to pursued my better half that the single pane looks better than all the bubbles. He won't be easy to sway. He doesn't want to give up the tint or the double pane. But I guess I can reapply an auto tint after I remove the inner pane?
75Airstream500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 04:55 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Airstream500
We are new owners of a 77 Excella 500. There are a couple of windows that are bubbling. I, at first thought that it was an interior sheeting tint and I could just strip and reapply. However, it appears the tint is inside the glass, right?
I have a '77 Overlander with a bubbling window in the door. I'm enclosing a picture of it. Is this the same problem you're talking about? Will removing the inner pane solve my problem too?

I ask because I wonder why the panes are double in the first place? Is it for insulation, or strength? Will the window be more subject to cracks and breakage (on the road) if the inner pane is removed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	door window bubble 2.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	11044  
Old 03-20-2005, 05:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Airstream500
We are new owners of a 77 Excella 500. There are a couple of windows that are bubbling. I, at first thought that it was an interior sheeting tint and I could just strip and reapply. However, it appears the tint is inside the glass, right? Does this mean the window must be replaced and if so can a standard glass company do it?
On my '75 Tradewind the UV protective coating peeled off. It was a pretty easy repair. Does your look like these?

http://www.balrgn.com/Airstream/DSC02242.jpg

http://www.balrgn.com/Airstream/DSC02251.jpg

The inner window came out pretty easy, there is an aluminum retaing ring hold it in.
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 06:41 AM   #8
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Unhappy double pains

I was confused by this old thread a couple of weeks back when I was looking for info on double pane windows. I bought a used side window that's tinted between the panes and though the tint is okay a couple of the little air pins between the panes have fallen out. I looked real hard at getting the inside pane out and there is no way. The 2 panes are a sealed package that is wrapped in the aluminum frame channel. Perhaps vista views can come apart but aparently not standard top hinged windows.

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote