Old 10-30-2009, 12:13 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
Broken Interior Window on '78-31'

I went hunting yesterday on my property where I use my 78-31' Airstream as a "cabin" during hunting season and found that someone had taken a shovel and pried open the window from the outside on the drivers side adjacent to the fridge and in doing so had broken the interior pane of glass on the window. Not certain why it ended up that way but it did. The exterior pane remains intact but a mess. They also managed to pull down the retractable shade, tear the bug screen, and leave muddy footprints on my couch. Nothing taken because there is nothing of value in the trailer. Went back out the window because there is a keyed deadbolt on the front door.

My question is this - will I need to replace the entire window or can I just get a pane of glass to replace the broken one? The window frame appears to be in OK shape although the torqued the heck out of the windows latches at the bottom of the window which will also likely need to be replaced. Thanks, Andy

montanaandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Doesn't that just make you mad as h***. My 76 Sovereign was broken in to 2 times by someone prying open the door lock. All they did was destroy the lock and rummage through the trailer messing things up. Like you nothing of value to steal.

adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Those double pane windows sometimes trap water and condensation anyway. I don't think double pane replacements are available but ask Inland RV. But, some people break out the inner pane to solve water and condensation problems between the glass. You could put some kind of spacer in the gasket where the inner window pane was and maybe be ahead of the game.
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
Broken Window

Don - it sure put a damper on what was a really nice day of hunting (beautiful sunny crisp weather, & saw quite a few deer but they were all on the small/young side so I passed). I am indeed P.O.'ed because they broke in and just left a mess for me to clean up all for nothing. Thank god they didn't try to pry the door open - fortunately the front of the trailer faces my neighbors home and they keep on eye on the Airstream for me.

Lumatic - I actually do recall people cracking the interior pane because of condensation problems. I have had the condensation/hazy window problem with this and a few other windows for years but are not normally in the trailer during the daylight hours so we have always kept the windows shut and put the silver bubble insulation over the windows to keep the sunlight from fading things. As long as the windows still seals and keeps out the elements I am good to go. I guess that it won't hurt to be able to see out of the windows too.

Thanks guys, Andy
montanaandy is offline   Reply With Quote