Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-14-2007, 01:07 PM   #1
New Member
 
1985 25' Sovereign
Rochester , Indiana
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3
broken curved window curb side HELP

I have a 1985 25 ft air stream and I have a broken curved window on curb side. Has anyone replaced one with plexaglass and if you have how did you do it.
The 2 nd thing is , does any one have a replacement window that would fit and the knowlege to tell me how to replace one.
Charlie
574 835 2378
charliesclassic@comcast.net
__________________

__________________
charliesclas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,941
Curved glass windows

My understanding these are available thru Airstream at any dealer. Not cheap. If you want cheap plastic you would have to slump form them over a non-thermally conducting buck that was the right shape. This would mean you would by acrylic or polycarbonate(Lexan) sheet and oven dry them. Then you would heat them up to near their softening temperature and drape and push them over the buck while not marring the surface. Allow them to cool to room temperature and they will keep their shape. You could do minor polishing after they are done and then finish edges or drill holes as required. Some plastic fabrication shops in larger cities might be able to do the job for you.
__________________

__________________
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:01 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
 
1969 31' Sovereign
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Alex , Oklahoma
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 356
Images: 10
Front curb side wing window

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliesclas
I have a 1985 25 ft air stream and I have a broken curved window on curb side. Has anyone replaced one with plexaglass and if you have how did you do it.
The 2 nd thing is , does any one have a replacement window that would fit and the knowlege to tell me how to replace one.
Charlie
574 835 2378
charliesclassic@comcast.net
Are you looking for the wing window? single or double glass?
__________________
1969 Sovereign
1951 Flying Cloud SS#7062
AIR #18751
CJ of Okla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:53 AM   #4
New Member
 
1985 25' Sovereign
Rochester , Indiana
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3
1985 25' window

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ of Okla
Are you looking for the wing window? single or double glass?
Hi
the window is the curved curb side window and I am not sure but think it is a double( .1870) thw window has the dark rock shield in fromt of it . the window is the one on the in side behind the curtins.
charlie
charliesclassic@comcast.net
__________________
charliesclas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 03:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
Lumatic's Avatar

 
1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,642
Images: 16
Blog Entries: 1
Just got back from my 1st long trip (1 month) with the 71 Tradewind. 2nd Day out one of the wing windows blew out. (I thought it was from a passing gravel truck) 3rd day out the 2nd wing blew out. The road was a little bumpy but there was no obvious cause. I have heard some wing windows are prone to this. Both were single pane and very, very, very thin. Somewhere between 1/16 and a 1/32 judging by the shards. So, I have had duct tape and cardboard windows for the rest of the trip with no other major incidents.

I would like to find out more about replacing with Lexan for $ reasons.

Can I remove the center vertical frame piece and slide the Lexan in from the center to the side or do I need to take out all the rivets and the frame? Any way to do it with out pre slumping the Lexan. maybe with a heat gun? I have not found a Lexan source locally. Any suggestions?
__________________
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 03:57 PM   #6
Desert Fox
 
1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 250
Talking Charlie

Hi,
Try Inland R.V. yhey have replacements. My exploded sitting at home. The cost from a AS dealer was 750 dollars. Lexan schould work as well unles you are a purist AS owner. Next time it happens lexon is for me. To keep it from happenig again I put a blaket over the front windows. I have traveled twice to Alaska with no problems.
Regards from Russell hot and sunny Tucson Az.
__________________
RUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
Lumatic's Avatar

 
1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,642
Images: 16
Blog Entries: 1
Anyone know what years will also fit a 71?

Andy, if you're listening, I like your comment from an earlier thread something like "like people, sometimes things break with no explanation".
__________________
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
Just got back from my 1st long trip (1 month) with the 71 Tradewind. 2nd Day out one of the wing windows blew out. (I thought it was from a passing gravel truck) 3rd day out the 2nd wing blew out. The road was a little bumpy but there was no obvious cause. I have heard some wing windows are prone to this. Both were single pane and very, very, very thin. Somewhere between 1/16 and a 1/32 judging by the shards. So, I have had duct tape and cardboard windows for the rest of the trip with no other major incidents.

I would like to find out more about replacing with Lexan for $ reasons.

Can I remove the center vertical frame piece and slide the Lexan in from the center to the side or do I need to take out all the rivets and the frame? Any way to do it with out pre slumping the Lexan. maybe with a heat gun? I have not found a Lexan source locally. Any suggestions?
Your Insurance company will pay for broken windows.

Typically, since Lexan is flexible, they will blow out when traveling when they are in the front, unless they are protected with a Rockguard.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:09 PM   #9
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
Anyone know what years will also fit a 71?
1970-1980 or 81.
1969 wing window is similar, but is flat on bottom (right and left are different parts), the other years fit either side.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
Anyone know what years will also fit a 71?

Andy, if you're listening, I like your comment from an earlier thread something like "like people, sometimes things break with no explanation".
Wing windows are now made to fit from 1970 to July 1999.

Depending on the year, some trimming may be necessary.

Wing windows are labeled left and right.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:43 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member
 
1969 25' Tradewind
Charlestown , Rhode Island
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 9
Safari Tim posted a really good step by step instruction guide with pictures, a while ago, on replacing these windows.

My husband used it last spring after both our front windows blew out. He found it extremely helpful.

I'm not sure what the post was called, but I'm sure you could do a search for "lexan window replacement" or something similar, and find it.
__________________
JenandGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSELL
Hi,
Try Inland R.V. yhey have replacements. My exploded sitting at home. The cost from a AS dealer was 750 dollars. Lexan schould work as well unles you are a purist AS owner. Next time it happens lexon is for me. To keep it from happenig again I put a blaket over the front windows. I have traveled twice to Alaska with no problems.
Regards from Russell hot and sunny Tucson Az.
Wing windows cost less than half of a wrap window.

Over $700.00 is correct for a wrap window (40 inches wide).

Tempered glass windows indeed can break when the trailer is parked, seemingly without a reason. Historically, the breakage is caused by a grain of sand or two, penetrating the surface temper. Unfortunately, you cannot see that with our eyes. When that happens, and who knows when it happened, enough changes in temperature between night and day, will eventually make the window just shatter. It could take years before the glass would shatter.

We know what the cause is, it's just impossible to predict the failure in time.

The only real prevention, is to have a Rockguard cover the front window or windows as the case may be.

Most insurance companies cover glass losses with no deductible, unless the loss was caused by a collision.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 05:57 PM   #13
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,190
I have found out the windows are different, right and left. The glass itself may possibly be the same, but is not worth the effort to take out of the frame and reinstall, even if it fit.
Andy, I thought the wing windows were wraparound after 82 or so, like the old Argosies.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 11:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
I have found out the windows are different, right and left. The glass itself may possibly be the same, but is not worth the effort to take out of the frame and reinstall, even if it fit.
Andy, I thought the wing windows were wraparound after 82 or so, like the old Argosies.
Not so.

Wrap windows are about 40 inches wide.

Wing windows are only 14 inches wide.

Both are still used.

Argosy trailers never used wing windows, only the wraps were used, in the front and sometimes in the rear too.

Some classic motorhomes used wrap windows in the rear, or just a rear window.

Andy

Andy
__________________

__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Window Seal niftypkg Windows & Screens 14 03-19-2011 10:31 PM
Oval Window Frame Replacement MikeMikeMI Windows & Screens 8 12-30-2007 11:49 AM
Curved side window replacement michel88 Windows & Screens 7 09-29-2006 10:20 AM
leaking around front window of 1969 Caravel David Henderson Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants 0 10-27-2002 12:01 PM
side mirrors ALANSD Airstream Motorhome Forums 5 04-20-2002 08:38 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.