Old 12-07-2009, 12:16 PM   #1

1969 21' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Best Way to Fix this Window?

1969 Globetrotter, and the front window has been "Mickey Moused". Someone screwed plexiglass to the outside of the center window, and the 2 side windows have aluminum secured to them. (pic below)

I would LOVE to get a window set to replace these windows instead of the ugly aluminum over the old window slots. Where is the best spot to get a replacement for this particular area, and what might the ideal solution to this issue be? Should I install new window glass, plexiglass, lexan? Or should I get a replacement for the entire thing?

Thanks! (pics of problem below)

[img=http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/1392/dsc02976x.th.jpg

[img=http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/4056/dsc02977yu.th.jpg]

[img=http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/648/dsc02978en.th.jpg]

Old 12-07-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
You are in for a search

I like 69 Airstreams. But, they are a crossover year. Your windows are the "squared off" base type. Rare. The other is the "D" shape. Both hard to find. Just put out the word here, and around, and begin the search. Try Outdoors Mart, Inland and even Colaws (not much chance there...but worth a try.) Get rid of the aluminum covers, plan for a window rock guard and always use stainless or aluminum hardware.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igobarefoot View Post
1969 Globetrotter, and the front window has been "Mickey Moused". Someone screwed plexiglass to the outside of the center window, and the 2 side windows have aluminum secured to them. (pic below)

I would LOVE to get a window set to replace these windows instead of the ugly aluminum over the old window slots. Where is the best spot to get a replacement for this particular area, and what might the ideal solution to this issue be? Should I install new window glass, plexiglass, lexan? Or should I get a replacement for the entire thing?

Thanks! (pics of problem below)

[img=http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/1392/dsc02976x.th.jpg

[img=http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/4056/dsc02977yu.th.jpg]

[img=http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/648/dsc02978en.th.jpg]
The front 3 windows for a 69 Airstream, are still available.

However, the wing windows used in the 69 models are a real odd ball, as well as expensive. They also had a square outside lower corner.

Many owners added a small piece of sheetmetal to the shell, in that same corner, so that they could use the wing window that has 2 outside radius corners. That wing window costs about 1/3 the price of the 69 wing window.

As you face the front of the trailer, the 2 windows to the left and right of the center window are called wing windows. In 1969 only, the lower outside corners are square. From 1970 and up. that corner is round.

The other problem with all of the opening windows in the 1969 model year, used a crazy hinge. That hinge looks, at a glance, the same as trhe 1970 and up opening windows.

WRONG. If you install, a 1970 on up window, in a 1969 trailer, you MUST" change the hinge, using the hinge from the original 1969 window.

If you do not change the hinge, when you lower the 1970 and up opening window, every rivet that holds the hinge to the window sash, will shear off.

Therefore, changing the hinge, is a must.

Then the next problem, is you must use a buck rivet, that is smaller than the other buck rivets on the trailer shell. You cannot attach that hinge with pop rivets.

Airstream has been approached many times, about this issue, and some 40 years later, no solution has been offered, from them, except what I stated above.

Andy
Old 12-07-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 18' Caravel
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I'm willling to bet Inland RV has the lexan replacement inserts for the 69 windows.
Inland RV Center - The Nations Leading Expert in Airstream Innovations

You could also try some of the salvage yards.
Call or send an e-mail to Colow RV parts & salvage.
COLAW RV PARTS & SALVAGE | RV Rebuilders, Wrecked, Refurbished RVs [Recreational Vehicles]

You could also post under the wanted page in the classifieds.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
By installing a small filler on the outboard lower side of the wing window cutout, you an install the later model (1970- 83) wing windows that are still available. This will not be an easy fix but it is one way that it can be repaired. Remove the plexi from the center and plug the holes and install a proper rock shield. Out of Doors Mart has both styles but as you will notice the 69 year type is quite abit more expensive.

Windows and Related Parts : ODMRV , Out-of-Doors Mart
Old 12-07-2009, 02:45 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Prob when you get the prices you will decide the patches are not quite as ugly as you previously thought.
Actually with some clean-up the patches from outside don't look so bad IMHO. Inside there appears to be a need for some creative trim work.
I am assuming the inside shot shows the reverse of the same metal sheet (patch) that is visible in the outside pic, am I correct?
The '69 mods, which I consider the first of the "Infamous" '70s-Era Airstreams (1969-1980 inclusive) are surely "cursed" in this way Inland Andy has described very well above.
Many earlier Airstreams seem to suit folks just fine without (before) the wing windows. Personally I like the wings, but have never owned one without them so I can't honestly discuss the darker interiors. I definitely do prefer the Infamous '70s era trailers as my favorite decade or generation of Airstreams, for several reasons.

If you decide to spend the big bucks and re-wing window, you would be very unwise not to also add a wing wide rockguard. That will add another $3 to 4 hundred dollars. If you remain with just the center window which is very inexpensive to re-glaze, then no rockguard is so much needed, or a small flat rockguard can be made quite simply by an average skilled DIYer.

I would guess that to replace wing with windows and add rockguard will cost you around $1000 dollars or more materials only. Are those patches looking better now?

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote