Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2003, 12:58 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

bad tint film in double pane window

In the 1978 23' Safari I bought last week the large side windows on both sides and the window in the entry door are double pane type with a film inside that has bubbled up and turned foggy. It not only looks like the devil, you can barely see out of them. Is there anything short of replacing them that can be done about this? I can see no way to separate the inner and outer panes of glass. I'm gonna climb way out on a limb here and hazard a guess that replacing these babies would not be budget friendly.
Anyone had the same experience? Anyone know what to do about it? I'd welcome any suggestions.
Thanks, W.C.
wcdelorme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 08:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Sounds tough!

I have repaired both the vistaviews and the front thermopane wing windows on my Overlander but have never dealt with the operable side thermo units. I have heard it is a common problem. Unless you want to attempt some repairs ala vistaview style you will probably be faced with replacing them. I believe they are still available but in single pane styles.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 01:02 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

bad tint film on double pane windows

Hi Chas, thanks for the reply. Do you know if the windows can be removed from the trailer without grinding out rivets? If they can be removed without doing that, then I'll take them out and have the inside pane removed by a glass shop. I figure they should have a method of cutting out the inner glass, then I can scrape off the tint and have a window I can see out of. I could even put new tint on it and be able to remove it down the road when it fails also. Any ideas anyone?
Old 05-13-2003, 09:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
You will undoubtedly have to drill out some rivets. You are heading down a road few have trodden so you will need to be brave. Most glass companies would probably balk at such an uncommon request and if they agreed to try may ask you to release them from any liability if the entire window gets ruined in the process. Be sure to locate some original factory replacement units so if your attempts at a inexpensive repair fail you will know what the worst case scenario is. Good Luck!!

Chas
Old 05-14-2003, 11:40 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Dickinson , Texas
It sounds like my 1975 Sovereign has the same problem as yours. I have future plans to dissasemble the windows, remove the tint, and put them back together.

I know I'm going to have a heck of a time grinding rivits and all, but I like to restore old cars and such and am not afraid of metal work. The toughest task I forsee will be reassembling the windows without moisture between the panes.

You could do this before me, and then let me know what all went wrong !
old_silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 03:11 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for responding. I don't want to get so destructive as to be grinding out rivets. I'll just ignore it if there's no practical solution because it doesn't have any effect on the usefulness of the trailer. I found, in a search of posts on this subject, a posting from a guy who also thought that the inner pane might be able to be cut out with a glass cutting tool of some sort. I mean we're not trying to keep the inner pane, so unless it would endanger the outside pane also I don't see why the inner one couldn't be just busted out or cut out in whatever way would get rid of it. I still plan to pull it to a glass shop and have them take a look. I don't think one of the big national chains would touch it, but a small independent shop with an innovative owner might have a more "let's give it a shot" attitude. I going to ask anyone reading these posts that has any experience with this problem to PLEASE let us hear from you. Thanks to all. W.C.
Old 05-14-2003, 05:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
When you find that "give it a shot" dealer, ask him if he is going to pay for the window when he breaks it.

Let him know that wing windows cost about $300.00 each, not installed.

Secondly, you cannot drill, cut, scratch or otherwise penetrate the surface of any tempered glass. To do so, will immediately shatter that glass.

We just had a customer come in with a shattered wing window.
Her son had a small diamond drill bit.
The trailer had both wing windows half full of water, so he told her "not a problem."

So he drilled a hole in the glass, and shattered it.

His only comment was, "but the water drained out"!!!!!

Thats about $300.00, plus rivets plus sealer plus 3 hours time.

Just words to the wise.

Andy
inlandrv.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 09:14 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Hi Andy and thanks for your reply. So I guess I'll skip that approach. So here's a few questions for you. What's the answer? These are side windows I'm talking about, not the front wing windows. Are they also tempered glass? So again I ask, what's the answer? Must the windows be replaced or do I just learn to live with the bubbles inside the panes? I mean, I appreciate your warning and will heed your advice, but help us out here, what to do about the problem?
Old 05-15-2003, 08:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
We all know that an Airstream is a work of "art."

Therefore it is also, by todays lingo, "JAZZY."

In order to keep it that way, when a problem occurs, there is only one approach.

If it cannot be repaired properly, replace it.

We see trailers everyday, that someone has "butchered' or short cut a repair.

We understand that some owners cannot afford the repairs, and therefore short cut everything they can.

I think the thing to think about, is when repairs are improperly made, or short cut, does that improve the resale value?

I don't think so.

How impressed would you be looking at an Airstream to possibly purchase, only to find repairs improperly made? Most buyers would be turned off quickly.

Repairs are synonymous with owning an Airstream. If somone doesn't want to properly repair, then perhaps they should have purchased another brand, that "never" needs repairs.

Saving money is something we all like to do, but when it comes to an Airstream, don't gripe when it's time to sell it, when improper repairs have been made.

We are presently involved, as a witness, in three lawsuits, where an individual sold a trailer to someone, but hid the facts of improper repairs.

Improper repairs are improper repairs, period.

All windows since the 1966 models are tempered glass, except in a rare few cases on the inside pane only.

Some owners have spent thousands on a polish job, but won't properly fix bad windows. Doesn't make sense to me. Sooner or later, the bullet bites, and when it does, we all know that it will cost far more to repair things correctly, down the road, than it does today.

Solution to your problem? That's your choice to make, now or later.

You asked, I answered.

Come to bat, when others may scream.

Andy
inlandrv.com
Old 05-16-2003, 11:32 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

So Andy, Are replacements available for my 1978 23' trailer? And if they're available, are they just like the ones that are there now that have failed tint, or are they single pane type? Seems foolish to spend the money to replace them with same type that will likely put me back in the same dilema I now face. If they are single pane type, I'd probably spend the money. How can I find this out? Thanks, W.C.
Old 05-16-2003, 11:43 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Double pane windows didn't work out as envisioned.

Airstream has single pane windows that replace all of the double pane windows.

Cost depends on what year and which window.

Andy
Old 05-16-2003, 01:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Inland RV Center, In
Double pane windows didn't work out as envisioned.

Andy
It is no wonder they didn't work out, as far as I can tell they assembled them with a substance akin to plumber's putty and then put foil tape over the edges. I guess it was the early days of the thermal window industry. Had a house with thermal pane windows, should be called thermal "Pain" as in pain in the butt!! To this day I will never have them again, house or A/S.

Chas