Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Delano , Minnesota
Awning for '60 Safari

My safari has a rail or guide running the length of the main body of the trailer near the roof line. I assume this once anchored an awning. Can someone explain (pictures would be great) how awnings were attached and operated on the vintage airstreams? I would love to have one in place this summer.

Thanks.
prhamilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Awning rail

Just because your trailer has a rail does not mean that an awning was ever installed on it. Many trailers had the rail as part of an option package the owner purchased. Measuring the rail will give you the max width of awning material you could use. The corded edge (bead) of the awning just slides into the existing rail. Mant folks have a vintage style awning installed that uses poles and tiedowns to peovide outside shade for their patio areas. You can buy this type awning from VintageTrailerSupply.com or Out of Doors Mart.com. If you are looking to install a self retractable awning for your trailer look to A&E Awning or ZipDee Awning or you can google RV Awnings and see what is offered. Make sure before you install an awning to seal the rivets and top edge of your awning rail with Parbond or Acryl-R sealer which is available from most RV stores or suppliers. Hope this helps. Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Our '59 had a rope and pole awning. Here's my blog post about when we first got ours:

1959 Airstream Overlander, "Someday": Camping in Luxury
Old 03-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Here is an example of the Rope and Pole style awning. From what I gather they were used up into the early 1970's. If you want a self storing awning like on the new trailers I would go with Zip Dee and nothing else.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:45 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I don't like the look of Zip Dee awnings on vintage trailers. The pole awnings are so authentic, they're just perfect! My trailer also has a rail that the precious owner installed, but it has never had an awning. Someday I'm going to get a pole awning for it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Delano , Minnesota
Thank you all for the information. I will be contacting the Vintage Awning Lady!
Old 05-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Broomfield , Colorado
I'm looking to make my own rope and pole awning as described here :

http://thismontanalife.com/make-your...-step-by-step/

Got the fabric and the tent poles And was about to get cracking in the sewing when I had a thought...

How does one get up to the awning rail while camping and thread the awning edge in with it being so high off the ground? It seems necessary to pack along 2 ladders - one for each person to get up to the rail and then thread it through...

Am I missing something that makes the process easier?
bbqmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:10 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
We use a step ladder (for me, because I'm shorter) and a folding chair for my husband. It's a sturdy folding chair. I don't think a camp chair would work unless your balance is really good.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:41 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
If anybody is interested, I have a rope Awning that came with a 63 Shasta that is in very good condition that I want to part with. It would be great to use for a few seasons or more, maybe even longer. It would be great to use as a templete for making your own.

I want $20 plus shipping. I will try to post some pictures of the owning here.

Contact me if you are interested r_whiten@hotmail.com

Thanks,
Rick
montanablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Delano , Minnesota
Installing Rope Awning

I put my awning on for the first time last weekend. I cleaned and straightened the track as instructed and then stood on a 5 gallon bucket with a helper at the other end and we are 5' 8". I also sprayed the channel with a light coating of silicone spray prior to installing. All went well and in a minute it was in place and ready for the poles. We decided to use expanding utility poles we purchased at Menard's, big box store in the upper midwest. They are intended to attach to a variety of tools such as dip nets and squeegies (sp?). The are very sturdy, look good and adjustable up to 12 feet. They were a little spendy at $23 each but they are indestructable. I also had to insert a stainless screw in the end which goes through the grommet in the canopy. I will post picks later tonight.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqmama View Post
I'm looking to make my own rope and pole awning as described here :

Awning Instructions « This Montana Life

Got the fabric and the tent poles And was about to get cracking in the sewing when I had a thought...

How does one get up to the awning rail while camping and thread the awning edge in with it being so high off the ground? It seems necessary to pack along 2 ladders - one for each person to get up to the rail and then thread it through...

Am I missing something that makes the process easier?
First of all, thanks for posting this very helpful tutorial.

Second, I have a solution for getting to the awning rail: 1) own a 1950's short model with reverse drop axle. 2) Be over 6 feet tall and have long limbs.-- Problem solved....

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
I have a solution for getting to the awning rail: 1) own a 1950's short model with reverse drop axle. 2) Be over 6 feet tall and have long limbs.-- Problem solved....
Doh! I'm short with a long(ish) Airstream. Fail on both accounts!
Old 05-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday'59
We use a step ladder (for me, because I'm shorter) and a folding chair for my husband. It's a sturdy folding chair. I don't think a camp chair would work unless your balance is really good.

Funny enough, I was just looking at your blog, someday! Not sure how I came upon it but enjoyed reading about your adventures. So a step ladder would suffice eh?
Old 05-14-2012, 10:47 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhamilt
I put my awning on for the first time last weekend. I cleaned and straightened the track as instructed and then stood on a 5 gallon bucket with a helper at the other end and we are 5' 8". I also sprayed the channel with a light coating of silicone spray prior to installing. All went well and in a minute it was in place and ready for the poles. We decided to use expanding utility poles we purchased at Menard's, big box store in the upper midwest. They are intended to attach to a variety of tools such as dip nets and squeegies (sp?). The are very sturdy, look good and adjustable up to 12 feet. They were a little spendy at $23 each but they are indestructable. I also had to insert a stainless screw in the end which goes through the grommet in the canopy. I will post picks later tonight.

I'd love to see the pics prhamilt.... What is in the awning that runs through the channel? Rope? Hose? The silicone spray sounds like a good idea. I have a set of 3 of the adjustable tent poles that cabelas sells that I was going to try and use but will take a peek at the menard's you mentioned... Indestructible sounds good, especially with the winds we get around here!
Old 05-14-2012, 10:51 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos

First of all, thanks for posting this very helpful tutorial.

Second, I have a solution for getting to the awning rail: 1) own a 1950's short model with reverse drop axle. 2) Be over 6 feet tall and have long limbs.-- Problem solved....

Lol! Or just invite ya along on the camping trip... Hehehehehe....
Old 05-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Delano , Minnesota
Awning Pics

The rope is a 3/8" nylon rope encased in the awning fabric. The rope extends a couple of feet beyond each end of the fabric with a large knot at each end. To install, a small section of the rope is compressed to slide into the channel with the knot lying outside the channel serving as a handle of sorts. With on person aligning the canopy cord with the channel and the other pulling it along a foot or so at a time it took just a minute to install.

You can see pics under my prhamilt photos. This link should take you there -

- Photo Gallery