Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2010, 09:00 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
raynham , Massachusetts
attaching rear window '70 safari

I've rehabbed the window, good to go. It was out at purchase so I'm a bit unsure of how the hinge slides back in. Would it be from the side or top? Hinge is attached to window frame not unit.
deelind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:02 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
raynham , Massachusetts
also, still wanting to find a spacer for the front. The one I have is off by 1/6" after installing replacement. It's been recommended that I fill it with the vulkem, but with a gap of 1/4" I'd rather have the spacer.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by deelind View Post
I've rehabbed the window, good to go. It was out at purchase so I'm a bit unsure of how the hinge slides back in. Would it be from the side or top? Hinge is attached to window frame not unit.
Look at another window hinge, on your Airstream.

The hinge setup is a "double J". The window hinge is inserted into the hinge part that's on the window frame, that's riveted to the shell.

You invert the window so that you can engage the two halfs of the hinge.

Use caution, and make sure the hinge is totally and correctly engaged. If not, you will shear off the hinge rivets that's on the window.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
also, still wanting to find a spacer for the front. The one I have is off by 1/6" after installing replacement. It's been recommended that I fill it with the vulkem, but with a gap of 1/4" I'd rather have the spacer.
There is no such thing as a "spacer" that your looking for.

Andy
Old 10-18-2010, 10:45 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
1961 16' Bambi
1956 16' Bubble
Potrero , California
Deelind,
Window frame lines up at the top when you lift the window up near the top of the pivot curve. With the help of a ladder, hopefuly a second person, and with the two adjusting rods taped, lift the bottom edge of the window until the hinge halves ( one on the trailer, one on top of the window frame) are lined up. Continue to lift the bottom of the window, pivoting on the two hinge halves as if they were connected. Near the top of the pivot curve, you'll notice they want to pop in...as they do, gently press in the center of the hinge (top of the new window frame), and the two halves should mate, snap into place. Pivot the window closed.
Use blue tape to keep the two adjusting rods from smacking your new window. After the new window/frame are in place, re-install those thru the window guides. I cannot stress a second person enough. I've re-installed my narrower window on my 1970 Safari, on that rear window, play it safe. ...
Spacer?
Hey, have fun, nice trailer, got one myself...
The " TinDen "
2007 25' International FB
1961 Bambi, 16' California
1956 Bubble 16' California Whale Tail
Charter Member 4 Corners Unit
(View all of elfirebob's images)
elfirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:10 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
raynham , Massachusetts
sorry Andy that I was'nt clear- I've attached a photo. The original curb side curved window has been replaced, new frame and all, the original had been out for a while and there was some damage to the opening, i was able to fit the new one in place but it was by no means a perfect fit. In the process it lost 1/16" the piece that slides up on the flat side of the window is too small so i have a 1/4" gap. see photo Haven't installed window, waiting for Vulkem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	whozee.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	113427  
Old 10-19-2010, 03:48 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Presuming I understand your question correctly. Here's the splice bar that goes between the center and curved window. I'm not sure this was used on the 1970..? If your gap is too wide now - not sure what choice you have but to use vulkem unless you can find a piece of T stock aluminum and vulkem it into place in the gap....

Splice Bar for wing window 010180 [010180] - $5.95 : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
sorry Andy that I was'nt clear- I've attached a photo. The original curb side curved window has been replaced, new frame and all, the original had been out for a while and there was some damage to the opening, i was able to fit the new one in place but it was by no means a perfect fit. In the process it lost 1/16" the piece that slides up on the flat side of the window is too small so i have a 1/4" gap. see photo Haven't installed window, waiting for Vulkem.
Since you already have the window riveted to the shell, the splice bar will be of zero value, as it will not fit.

Andy