Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-20-2007, 08:24 AM   #1
Rivet Master
 
Lumatic's Avatar

 
1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,642
Images: 16
Blog Entries: 1
Argosy Wing Windows

I was looking at an Argosy that might be for sale at the right price. It's missing one of the wing windows. I don't recall ever seeing one for sale. What do they go for new and used? Are they interchangeable with Airstreams?
__________________

__________________
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic
I was looking at an Argosy that might be for sale at the right price. It's missing one of the wing windows. I don't recall ever seeing one for sale. What do they go for new and used? Are they interchangeable with Airstreams?
Argosy trailers used "wrap" windows that had clear glass and is about 40 inches wide.

The clear glass version has not been available for years.

Replacements are "solar gray" and cost over $700.00, plus shipping.

There are two differnt wrap windows at this point, one for July 1999 and older Airstream and Argosy trailers and motor homes, and one for July 1999 and newer Airstreams.

The earlier version is extremely limited in supply, and many times is not available for several months.

We had some on back order for over 14 months, that we recently received.

Andy
__________________

__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:40 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
 
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Trinity , Alabama
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 28
Argosy Wing Window

If anyone is looking for front Argosy or some eightys Airsteam drivers side window there are 2 on E Bay (1/21/08). The E Bay windows are new old stock untinted and are priced @ $500 + $115 shipping. I bought one and it arrived promptly in perfect condition. Search E Bay Motors for Airstream window the windows are in E Bay store and will not come up on regular Airstream search.
__________________
norsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
Obsessed with Moonunit
 
COArgosy78's Avatar
 
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 957
Images: 55
Possible Leak Area

Rather than start a new thread, I decided to add to this one, altho the intention of the post is somewhat off from original. Figured if someone was looking for questions on the wrap windows on an Argosy, they might check this post.

So, I am beginning to see some potential areas on each of our wrap windows where they have separated and a gap is letting the vulcum fall out and water come in. They are very small spots to date, but want to catch ASAP.

I know to use vulcum, but wonder if suggestions are out there as to removing old stuff. I am going to post pics. Is a dremel tool a good idea to smooth down edges to get clean for reapplication of vulcum?
This is our first try at using it.

Here are pics, some are a bit out of focus, hope they are not to large!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front top right.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	83380   Click image for larger version

Name:	front bottom right.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	283.7 KB
ID:	83381  

Click image for larger version

Name:	front botton right.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	309.6 KB
ID:	83382  
__________________
Leigh (IB Aluminated)

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by COArgosy78 View Post
Rather than start a new thread, I decided to add to this one, altho the intention of the post is somewhat off from original. Figured if someone was looking for questions on the wrap windows on an Argosy, they might check this post.

So, I am beginning to see some potential areas on each of our wrap windows where they have separated and a gap is letting the vulcum fall out and water come in. They are very small spots to date, but want to catch ASAP.

I know to use vulcum, but wonder if suggestions are out there as to removing old stuff. I am going to post pics. Is a dremel tool a good idea to smooth down edges to get clean for reapplication of vulcum?
This is our first try at using it.

Here are pics, some are a bit out of focus, hope they are not to large!!
Clean all the old sealer off, but watch and be very careful with your Dremel, when your near the glass.

The sealer shown in your photo's is not vulkem, but something similair to todays Par-bond.

You can reseal those seams with Par-bond, if you wish.

Is the glass itself, still sealed OK?

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master<br><img src="/ugala/forums/images/5rivet.gif">
 
CanoeStream's Avatar

 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 13,279
Images: 19
Blog Entries: 3
I had major water collecting under my water tank. The floor rot was severe. I vainly looked at and sealed any potential leaks all along the tops of the windows. A lot of work later I still had water getting in on my new floor.

In my experience the bigger source of leaks is right here:
Click image for larger version

Name:	front botton right.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	83404

And it's not just in that corner. The whole wing window seal lets water through. The plastic bedding extrusions are no longer available. They shrink over time. Rain sheeting down the wing windows flows through that extrusion like it's not even there. I had the front inner skin off and spent a long rainstorm sitting inside my gutted trailer figuring this one out.

My fix - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...tml#post699072. Different construction but similar approach by Zeppelinium - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...fix-47703.html

I just love Sikaflex 221. It beats Vulkem hands down!
__________________
Bob

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:44 PM   #7
Obsessed with Moonunit
 
COArgosy78's Avatar
 
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 957
Images: 55
Thanks for the replies to date!! Glass seems to be sealed, all I am seeing is the result of water running down the inside edges (and it is not alot as it seems to have only made very small rusty looking puddles on inside metal ledge where bottom of curtains hit). I was able to see daylight thru one from the inside of trailer (small pinhead size right now). We have covered them w/good ole duct tape until we can get repair items. So, am I understanding correctly, vulkem, Par-Bond or Sikaflex 221 are all good for the fix? Does one last better than others?
__________________
Leigh (IB Aluminated)

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by COArgosy78 View Post
Thanks for the replies to date!! Glass seems to be sealed, all I am seeing is the result of water running down the inside edges (and it is not alot as it seems to have only made very small rusty looking puddles on inside metal ledge where bottom of curtains hit). I was able to see daylight thru one from the inside of trailer (small pinhead size right now). We have covered them w/good ole duct tape until we can get repair items. So, am I understanding correctly, vulkem, Par-Bond or Sikaflex 221 are all good for the fix? Does one last better than others?
Vulkem is fiberous, and sets slowly and lasts 30 years or better.

Sikaflex is smooth and sets fast, and lasts a long time. I would expect as long as Vulkem.

Par-bond is smooth and sets in a day or so. It lasts a long time as well.

The window seams that open up such as yours has, suggests a cause other than age.

It can be excessive rated tow vehicle, excessive rated torsion bars, out of balance running gear, bad tires, bad axles, or a combination of those.

Those seams open up due to twisting, tweaking, and/or vibration.

The problem is to find out what caused the problem for your Airstream.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:13 PM   #9
Obsessed with Moonunit
 
COArgosy78's Avatar
 
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 957
Images: 55
Thanks for all the info Andy. I have been concerned for some time it has been our axles that were the culprit. Since we have been over some rough dirt roads w/those terrible rut type bumps in them towing the Moonunit in the 5 yrs we have had her, and all on the original axle, that would be my guess??!

We have some vulkem from having removed original plastic vent caps and replaced w/metal - guess we will use that. Unless silkaflex can be had locally? Or is it only an AS product?
__________________
Leigh (IB Aluminated)

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by COArgosy78 View Post
Thanks for all the info Andy. I have been concerned for some time it has been our axles that were the culprit. Since we have been over some rough dirt roads w/those terrible rut type bumps in them towing the Moonunit in the 5 yrs we have had her, and all on the original axle, that would be my guess??!

We have some vulkem from having removed original plastic vent caps and replaced w/metal - guess we will use that. Unless silkaflex can be had locally? Or is it only an AS product?
A few dealers stock the sikoflex as well as the vulkem and Par-bond.

I have no idea who may stock it locally.

They are not Airstream products, but they are used by Airstream and a few of it's dealers.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:54 PM   #11
Obsessed with Moonunit
 
COArgosy78's Avatar
 
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 957
Images: 55
I think I should be asking if, when we get the correct sealant, there is also a way to tweek the gaps that Andy mentioned as being caused by excessive vibration, etc. Are we reduced to just "filling the gaps" or should we be using something to make those gaps less conspicuous?

I don't want to take the chance of breaking any glass (especially those wings!), but if someone has had this issue, and has found a way to push the window frame corners back together, I would love to know. Thanks for any input/knowledge on this.
__________________
Leigh (IB Aluminated)

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by COArgosy78 View Post
I think I should be asking if, when we get the correct sealant, there is also a way to tweek the gaps that Andy mentioned as being caused by excessive vibration, etc. Are we reduced to just "filling the gaps" or should we be using something to make those gaps less conspicuous?

I don't want to take the chance of breaking any glass (especially those wings!), but if someone has had this issue, and has found a way to push the window frame corners back together, I would love to know. Thanks for any input/knowledge on this.
Leave well enough alone.

Clean up the old sealers from the seams, and reseal them.

Leave the window framing as is, or you will be buying a new window.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:25 PM   #13
Obsessed with Moonunit
 
COArgosy78's Avatar
 
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 957
Images: 55
Yes, I can see what you mean. I think the excessive gaps are mostly on the middle window frame, and I can see in one of the pics I posted exactly where that glass edge is, yikes!!! Just figured I should ask before we go to the time/trouble.
__________________
Leigh (IB Aluminated)

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:43 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by COArgosy78 View Post
Yes, I can see what you mean. I think the excessive gaps are mostly on the middle window frame, and I can see in one of the pics I posted exactly where that glass edge is, yikes!!! Just figured I should ask before we go to the time/trouble.
The cheapest thing related to Airstream and Argosy trailers and motorhomes, is "ask questions" FIRST.

The most expensive thing is "don't ask" and "assume."

I assure you, the latter might break your bank.

Many people can answer questions on this Forums, very well.

A few may answer and render an opinion.

You have to be the judge of the advice, and where or who it came from.

Then you must also decide, if you want to "short term patch," or "long term repair" as necessary, back to original specs, and/or updates that improves the product.

Andy
__________________

__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Argosy Airstream MH front windows the same? Jim Lee Airstream Motorhome Forums 9 02-23-2008 10:26 AM
Wing Windows? Aerowood Windows & Screens 1 10-09-2007 08:54 PM
1976 Argosy 26' Office Van? No windows on sides RichardT Argosy Motorhomes 9 02-26-2006 11:31 AM
wing windows eaa52 Windows & Screens 5 06-13-2005 10:50 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.