Old 03-05-2014, 05:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Argosy window seal/gasket source

I am getting ready for a glass/Lexan replacement/exchange/installation project on 2 Argosy's. Based on what I am seeing, the existing glass is now seated in a gasket type material that appears "U" shaped and sits in the Aluminum window frame. It seems like it might be grey in color. I have seen other discussions here but none addressed the notion of having to replace the gasket that the glass is seated in the frame with. I found some similar but not exact "same-size" gasket at Vintage trailer supply.

Has anyone replaced this "U" or channel gasket in their Argosy wrap windows? Are their other sources for the correct gasket? HELP please.

Thanks

Greg

Old 05-28-2014, 03:46 PM   #2

1973 25' Tradewind
Conrad , Montana
Window Gasket 1970s Land Yacht

We have exactly the same problem on our 1973 Tradewind. Inland RV sent us window weather stripping rather than the gasket to put the window back into the metal frame. This front window actually has two panes and we are replacing both with Lexan. Did you ever find the correct gasket?

Old 05-28-2014, 05:34 PM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Airstream does not recommend dismantling those windows, and there is no readily available gasket for them. You may find something that will work from CR Laurence.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:29 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Argosy window gaskets

The short answer is no, I haven't found a correct gasket. I found something close from vintaghe trailer supply but the samples they sent weren't the same, although they might have worked.
The final answer was I found and bought two wrap windows for an Argosy front. I am just now getting ready to install the streetside one to replace the missing window in my Minuet.

Greg
Old 06-06-2014, 10:57 AM   #5

1973 25' Tradewind
Conrad , Montana
Window Gasket/ Glazing 1970s Land Yacht

We finally have our front window installed on our 1973 Tradewind. Both the glass pane and the plexiglass pane were broken. We used the 1970 Airstream Window Glazing Strip from Vintage Trailer Supply (CR Laurence is probably the manufacturer of this and has other similar products). It did not fit exactly but was the closest we could find. It is the correct depth but the width of the channel is smaller than the original. The person doing the installation at our local body shop was not satisfied with the final result and the problem may have been with the width of the lexan. Vintage Trailer Supply is working on another glazing product that would be closer to the original and asked for a sample of the original glazing which we sent to them. Thanks for the input from everyone.