Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2008, 10:46 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Are new window frames available?

I have a 1970 27' Overlander. The PO removed most of the frame on the front window in order to install a window A/C. Am I going to have any luck locating the missing frame and operating parts?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1297.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	890.1 KB
ID:	55618

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1298.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	732.4 KB
ID:	55619
vhord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
You may want to check with Colaw RV Salvage...it's sort of a graveyard for Airstreams.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhord
I have a 1970 27' Overlander. The PO removed most of the frame on the front window in order to install a window A/C. Am I going to have any luck locating the missing frame and operating parts?
Attachment 55618

Attachment 55619
The window frame is riveted into the shell.

Your photo shows it's still there.

Replacement windows are called "sash and glass."

If you simply order a replacement "sash and glass", that will solve the problem.

You should check the bottom of the frame and see if it still has the "latches," like the other opening windows have.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:40 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Shari,

Thanks for the lead. I will check with them.

Andy,

Thanks for the terminology clarification. You would think that I would know that after 30 years in the retail hardware business.

The operating hardware is missing. They left the two handles laying on the floor but nothing else. Does Inland have the sash and glass? It is rectangular and measures approx. 24" tall x 44" wide.

I will have to wait to remove and check out the rest of the frame. For now I am enjoying having the makeshift A/C to use while removing the floor here in southeast Texas.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhord
Shari,

Thanks for the lead. I will check with them.

Andy,

Thanks for the terminology clarification. You would think that I would know that after 30 years in the retail hardware business.

The operating hardware is missing. They left the two handles laying on the floor but nothing else. Does Inland have the sash and glass? It is rectangular and measures approx. 24" tall x 44" wide.

I will have to wait to remove and check out the rest of the frame. For now I am enjoying having the makeshift A/C to use while removing the floor here in southeast Texas.
We have the latches and the window in stock.

Andy
Old 03-06-2008, 02:20 PM   #6

1977 31' Sovereign
Panguitch , Utah
Does anybody know how we can set up a drive up window in a 1977 airstream. We are converting into a coffee trailer
RickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickR
Does anybody know how we can set up a drive up window in a 1977 airstream. We are converting into a coffee trailer

To create a wide window opening, requires structural changes.

The vertical sides of that opening, must match the shape of the shell, both for the shell and door.

It also must be properly sealed to keep out rain.

How it's latched closed, is also important, since the shell twists when the trailer hits bumps.

It is suggested that you have someone do it, that has shell modification experience.

Andy
Old 03-06-2008, 02:36 PM   #8

1977 31' Sovereign
Panguitch , Utah
Was thinking I could just use the existing size maybe combine the larger top and smaller bottom window into one opening, but same width.

Didn't know if there would be a window available that would curve with the body and still lift up for service.
RickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickR
Was thinking I could just use the existing size maybe combine the larger top and smaller bottom window into one opening, but same width.

Didn't know if there would be a window available that would curve with the body and still lift up for service.
Airstream does not have a window tall enough, that opens, that will replace an opening window and a stack window, with one window.

Andy
Old 03-06-2008, 05:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
vhord, the windows in 69 through at least 75 have basically the same dimensions. I recently replaced my front wing windows from my 71 with windows salvaged from a 75. There are some changes in construction, mainly single pane or double pane and frame thicknesses but the width and height should be the same. My new to me 75 windows also mate perfectly with the marriage bar that connects the wing windows to the center window frame. Some of the later 70s windows also have slightly different window openers (that work easier) which requires a different position of slots in the screen frame. If you are replacing a window with another year window that has a different thickness frame the old plastic window trim inside the trailer may not fit right so try and get the window, screen frame and the trim. The bottom line is you may very well be able to find a used replacement from a different year that will fit for a lot less moolah than a new replacement.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Lightbulb

I wonder if you could adapt one by turning it 90-degrees to get the height? I don't know...just trying to think of other options ~ outside the box!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:04 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Lumatic,

Thanks for the info. I am also missing the inside plastic trim and screen. I have several months before I have to replace the window so maybe I will get lucky and find a used one in that time frame. I will be replacing the entire floor, insulation, and most of the cabinetry so that will take a couple of weeks. Ha!

If anyone runs across a A/S in that time frame being parted out I would appreciate a shout.