Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2017, 09:29 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Northwest , Missouri
Anything better for old gasket removal?

I'm on my first window removing the old rock hard rubber gasket. So far the best tool I have found is a wood chisel. Was just wondering if anyone has found something super spectacular for this job before I do four more windows, entry door, and the rear trunk. The wood chisel is working the best of all the other tools tried, so I will continue on unless there is something better. **Warning** If anyone tries using the wood chisel method, use extreme caution, as I remember slicing my arm open with one years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wc.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	292682  
OldVwHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
A piece of really hard plastic sanded to a sharp bevel like your chisel is great. I used to use old aircraft windows sliced up and bevelled to remove sealant etc. It doesn't scratch and stick into the window frames. After that I used heirloom paint stripper and or 3M adhesive remover.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:33 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Harper Woods , Michigan
For removing adhesives, I've found that VMP naphtha consistently gives the best result with little or no collateral damage. If the surfaces are safe and the adhesive especially sticky, try brake cleaner or starting fluid. But always remember to use personal protective gear (gloves, mask, etc) and extinguish anything that could start a fire. For crusted adhesives, soak by puttting a paper towel on, saturate with solvent, and put plastic wrap or aluminum foil to prevent evaporation.
Bob Blarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Bosch, Dremel and others make a tool that uses a vibrating blade that may be helpful IF the surface you're dealing with is flat. I have the Bosch cordless version. There are blades with teeth for cutting and blades with a non-serrated edge that are great for the kinds of things you're dealing with. I forgot the name ( multi tool or multi-max or something like it)
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:36 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Northwest , Missouri
Stuff found

So here's what I ended up with after fighting all the eclipse nuts in St. Joseph today. A real thick made in the USA scraper with an oh so comfy handle, not razor sharp along the sides like the wood chisel, so feels much safer. Grandma's old butter knife for getting down in that sharp gully, and a nut pick for digging out around the rivets. For all remaining after that I got the Goof Off, how can you go wrong if the label has the word Miracle included, plus it felt like destiny since Goof Off is what some people at work call me. That Bosch pulsating blade thingy sounds kinda like a fun tool to get one day for sure. First window is done, and it wasn't nearly as bad of a job as I was expecting it to be. Big Thanks for all the ideas, and input.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fs.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	292726  
OldVwHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Cool. Better living through chemistry [emoji1] you better get those utensils cleaned up before grandma finds them missing!
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
I remove as much as possible with a fresh razor blade. Then soak in GooGone (the stuff in the steel tin) and scrub with a soft stainless steel wire brush, and repeat. Usually takes three or four passes, but works great. You'll end up with a brushed texture on the aluminum, but that's OK since it'll be behind the gasket anyway.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:52 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Solon , Ohio
Gaskets Galore!

Ohhhh this was my LEAST favorite thing to do!! But what saved me was a HEAT GUN!! I know it made this task MUCH easier. You can see the progress on my Instagram @AirstreamLoving

Good Luck!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8031.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	303.2 KB
ID:	292799  
Hikia is offline   Reply With Quote