Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1950 28' Whirlwind
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
Smile Anyone know how to put in porthole windows?

I can not find the photo I once saw of an airstream with porthole windows put into the ceilings to allow in more natural lighting. We are refurbishing one and I really want to put some in ( there were 3 or 4 on both sides down the length of the unit). It was quite nicely done, and I want to replicate it. Anyone know: 1 How to install them? 2. Where to find them?
Would really appreciate any input. Thanks Lisa
Lisa D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:54 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Wink Five Dollar Foot Long

Any good submarine shop....Blimpy, Subway, Quiznos...
Sorry I just hadta.

Or call Matthey McConawhatever out there in LaLa land. I think I heard him say he liked to trick up his Airstreams with nautical windows.
again sorry

Real Portholes are available from some yacht suppliers but not sure if the thicknesses are compatible. Have you googled portholes for sale?

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Are you talking about true marine portholes or Vista View windows which were optional and factory installed? Retrofiting either is not hard but you can't erase your mistakes. The main consideration is installing them in between ribs and stringers. Secondly, the porthole or window needs to match the curve of the skin as far as possible. Third Vista View windows have their own interior trim but for a porthole you will have to be creative.

True marine portholes can be very expensive. Watch ebay for portholes and Vista View windows (under keyword Airstream) I have several Vista Views if you send me a private message.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:16 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1950 28' Whirlwind
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
Thumbs up portholes or vista view windows?

hhhmmm. maybe I do mean vista views. I dunno. I just saw a photo on the web and the guy who installed them himself in his airstream (they allowed the natural light in very nicely) called them "port holes". They were located on the curve of the roof- about 4 or five on each side, oblong shaped. We want to put them in this refurbish we are doing but don't have a clue how to do it or where to find them- whatever they are called. Thanks for your response. Anyone else?
Lisa D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa D View Post
hhhmmm. maybe I do mean vista views. I dunno. I just saw a photo on the web and the guy who installed them himself in his airstream (they allowed the natural light in very nicely) called them "port holes". They were located on the curve of the roof- about 4 or five on each side, oblong shaped. We want to put them in this refurbish we are doing but don't have a clue how to do it or where to find them- whatever they are called. Thanks for your response. Anyone else?
Your describing "Vista view windows."

They are not that difficult to install, but a proper procedure must be followed.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote