Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2016, 04:16 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob662 View Post
Bruce,
In looking at the door, it sort of looks like the glass in the window can be removed from the inside by screwing out the frame attachments, then accessing the glass. Did you try this, or maybe that's how you did it? If not, how did you buck the rivets?

I much prefer the clear glass. Airstream missed a turn on this one...
The back of the rivets can be accessed once you remove both the trim piece held on by screws and the upper door panel held on by pop rivets. The window glass is surrounded by the frame. Removing the glass requires splitting the frame at a seam and stretching it around the glass,,, think child birth...
I'm sure a good glass person could help you out if you provided them with the materials. The entire frame must come out of the door...

Bruce
Old 10-16-2016, 06:18 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Very helpful. Thanks!

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:07 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
So, I've passed on the info to a bunch of people...
Anyone having any success ordering a clear window?
Just curious,
Bruce
Old 10-22-2016, 11:22 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Ive had a couple requests for the basic dimensions of my door window.
Rather than trying to explain exactly what I am measuring I thought I'd post a couple of pictures. For the record, the other end of the tape is on the same part of the gasket so I am essentially measuring the exposed glass only...I did my best to eliminate parallax.
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_e97.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	273975   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_e98.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	273976  

Old 10-22-2016, 11:39 PM   #25
Richard

2006 30' Classic S/O
Merced , California
Thank you so much. Exactly what my 2006 Classic 30 measured.
kleimanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 05:51 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
I enjoyed reading your write up. The only thing I really don't like about my 23D is the frosted glass on the door window. For years, I've been telling myself that I'm being anal, and I should just get used to it. Then we're in the outback somewhere and the dog is laying in her favorite spot by the door (I think), but I can't look out and actually see if she's there because of the stupid frosted glass window. Finally I decided that this winter might be a good time to actually do something about it, so I decided to start my own post about it, but like a good member, I thought I should look first to see who has already been there/done that. And you have! I still wonder why Airstream feels the need to forbid it. The places we go, the least of our concerns is who might be looking through our front door window. If we ever did feel the need to do anything about it, we could cover it with tinfoil, for heaven's sake.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 06:06 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I like our frosted entrance door window for the light it lets in during the day and privacy at night. Opening the door and screen door and stepping outside to separate them to pull a shade at night would be a nuisance, especially in the rain or when the mosquitos have gathered outside looking for a way in.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 06:19 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I like our frosted entrance door window for the light it lets in during the day and privacy at night. Opening the door and screen door and stepping outside to separate them to pull a shade at night would be a nuisance, especially in the rain or when the mosquitos have gathered outside looking for a way in.
Spoken like an "old man" Doug...
Of course I respect your opinion! With the exception of the mosquito thing, that is a bit of a reach isn't it?
By the way, we have a shade made of phifertex that snaps in place for privacy and it simply attaches to the screen door from inside of the trailer. No opening of door needed. We don't tend to need it anyway.
Bruce
Old 11-20-2016, 07:06 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Bruce, I am an old man. I try not live live like one though.

About the mosquito thing, it takes exactly one of the tiny critters to make life miserable after you're in bed and the lights are out. Nonetheless I think the clear window is fine for those who like it, and the frosted window fine for those who don't.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:35 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
I replaced the frosted glass in the door several years ago with a piece of tempered, tinted glass. Being out to see out of the door is a great improvement. In my Bambi, that's the only window on the right side of the kitchen/dinette area, so the view is appreciated. Also, I like to know what's outside before I open the door. There's a clip at the top and bottom that hold the glass in the frame, and you pop one out to release the glass. Reinstalling the glass calls for setting the glass in a bed of sealant, putting one clip in, then actually bending the glass into place until you can pop the other clip in. Yes, tempered glass will bend. The original glass is flat once removed, so it is not curved from the factory.
I took the original glass out, made a template from that, then went to a local glass shop and ordered the tempered, tinted glass. I don't remember what it cost. The same shop made me a replacement piece for when one of my flip out front windows shattered.
For when privacy is desired, I installed a pull down shade from Ikea, screwed into the head bumper. It comes with a pull that we hook onto a peg mounted on the screen door.
Pic shows the original glass, frame and clips after removal. Wow, that was four years ago - that table and the slipcovers are now long gone!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1145.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	275712