Old 04-17-2004, 09:41 AM   #15
1971 23' Safari
Lake Ann , Michigan
End of story

It's been over a year and a half since Airabelle was shot in her left front window. I thought I reported the end of the story but maybe I didn't. So here goes.

After doing some internet research I found a MI business some distance from me which had replacement curved glass windows for Airstreams. I contacted a local glass company to order the replacement. 3 months later the window arrived. It was for the right --not the left--front window! By then my patience had run out. "Put in plexiglass," I told the installer. He had wanted to do that all along.

After the plexiglass window was installed, I couldn't see any difference between it and the glass windows. They look the same--even their tint matches. All let in the view and sunshine.
I wondered why I had been so determined to get glass. Some purist notion, I decided. Hard attitude to discard. I reconciled myself to a new philosophy. I shouldn't be fooling around with an old Airstream if I wanted to be a purist. Instead, if something works and doesn't look like a duck hatched by a chicken, go with it, I decided.

The real end of the story is: I got a perk from being so patient. The glass installer waived my deductible and threw in another small repair to boot. My expenses were zilch except for the home made fudge I gave him. There's a moral somewhere in that.

jeanarlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 11:27 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Originally Posted by jeanarlene
There's a moral somewhere in that.
A moral? Let's see... Perhaps Confuscious might say,

If sitting duck with chicken mother make good target, batch of fudge will bring curved plexi, and joy to all. Except for shooter. He burn in Hades.

I'll have to work on that one.

bredlo is offline   Reply With Quote