Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2006, 11:01 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Tampa , Florida
Adding windows to '70s 31ft.

I am looking to buy an early 70's 31 ft. rear bed model. Having done a majority of the research for knowing what I want to buy and beware of, I am now researching some of my customization options. One of these is adding "vista-view" windows where they weren't before. I don't want to turn down a good buy if the only thing keeping me from it is the lack of windows. Is this possible or am I being the typically overly creative architect?
at_wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I would think that this is quite possible, cutting the holes and riveting in windows, though modiying the trailer in that way could not only devalue it some ( to a more purist buyer) but could cause some leakage. It would need to be done well.
Also where would you find the windows? Salvage?
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 01:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Vistas always leaked or collected condensation. Not a good Idea. Put in some fantastic fans with light colored covers if you want more light. Maybe put in lighter curtians instead of the heavy drapes. Maybe just blinds with valences.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:02 PM   #4
Craftsman

I think it's a fine idea. Yes ,over time the sealant may have dried out and they may leak but my 1976 Sovereigh has Vista Views in the front and rear bedroom and they don't leak. Research it, do it right and your Airstream will be the way you want it. As for devaluing it, not all Airstreams are collectable, and I would say thats especially true for the 70's models. I personally think that the Vista Views added something to Airstreams that the ones without lack. I guess Airstream thought so to because they brought them back.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:44 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Tampa , Florida
I am not concerned with devalueing a 70's Airstream. If this was a rare vintage (sounds like wine) in good original repair I would not do this. Nothing irritates me more than seeing someone hot rod a Model A Ford that is in nearly original condition.
However, I am not a purist and have always been an advocate for good design. I beleive a good design can add value to most anything if it is an improvement on the original. Evaluating that, of course is always subjective.

That aside, how do I go about this? Is it a "simple" matter of cutting a hole and riveting the window in place (with vulkem or eq. of course)? And yes, where do I get the windows?

I have also considered adding the operable larger windows as well.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:46 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Tampa , Florida
By the way I like the fan suggestion as well. There again, how is this sort of thing done?
Old 06-28-2006, 04:20 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
FAYETTEVILLE , Arkansas
I don't know exactly, but I've seen them do some pretty amazing things on Monster Garage.So it can be done.
gyandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 05:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by at_wanderer
I am looking to buy an early 70's 31 ft. rear bed model. Having done a majority of the research for knowing what I want to buy and beware of, I am now researching some of my customization options. One of these is adding "vista-view" windows where they weren't before. I don't want to turn down a good buy if the only thing keeping me from it is the lack of windows. Is this possible or am I being the typically overly creative architect?
The vista view windows are still available.

However, the sliding shade that is used with the vista view windows, is no longer available.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 09:44 PM   #9

1975 25' Tradewind
Huntington Beach , California
How about other windows?

not to hijack this thread or anything but since we're talking about adding windows has anyone added other windows besides the vista view? For example a door window or maybe an additional operating side window...

-T
Torii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 10:13 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Man
not to hijack this thread or anything but since we're talking about adding windows has anyone added other windows besides the vista view? For example a door window or maybe an additional operating side window...

-T
Adding a window to the entrance door, if done correctly, is not a problem.

Adding an opening window, depending on location, may or may not cause a serious problem.

If the added opening window "does not" cut through a "main bow", then your in good shape.

If for any reason, you cut through a main bow, you must beef up the weakened area with horizontal stringers and sections of main bows. If not, then the weakened area of the structure (shell) can cause numerous problems.

Andy
Old 06-29-2006, 10:31 AM   #11
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Check this page to see pics of window retro-fits on a late model trailer...

http://tour.airstreamlife.com/weblog/2006/05/
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 11:17 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Tampa , Florida
I assume then that you don't attach the window to the framing...
say like you would with house construction?
Old 06-29-2006, 11:36 AM   #13
Craftsman

The guys at Roger Williams Airstream put the rest of the dealers to shame when it comes to the quality and scope of work they can do. You can tell these guys don't just sell them, they actually care about what they do and can actually come up with improvements and carry them through. Everything that I've seen come out of their shop has been to the highest standard.My hats off to David Tidmore and the crew at Roger Williams.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:04 PM   #14
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I wandered if they could be added to our 30' Safari and it looks like they added at least one to the "Tour of America" 30' Safari in the front bedroom on the street side.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 01:49 PM   #15

Currently Looking...
Toledo , Ohio
Talking Need help finding j- channal for windows...

My j-channal seal around the windows on my 50'S 60's Cree Coach camper is dried and shrinking. I can not find the same stuff anywhere. Please help.
Eric
peterpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 02:32 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpaul
My j-channal seal around the windows on my 50'S 60's Cree Coach camper is dried and shrinking. I can not find the same stuff anywhere. Please help.
Eric
Can you post a photo, or a sketch?

Andy
Old 07-09-2006, 03:27 PM   #17
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Go for it

No reason not to use the current vista view windows that don't leak and have a sliding shade built in. As Craftsman has posted, Roger Williams installed one in Rich Luhr's Safari bunkhouse. They come in several sizes.

I'm sure that adding a vista view is a lot like when I added a moon roof to my 260Z or installed a spoiler on my brand new Acura, you measure, mark, repeat the same at least 20 times, pray, take a deep breath, and start cutting.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote