Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2009, 06:43 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
interior trim

What are your ideas for trim on the inside of the door window?
Old 01-22-2009, 07:06 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
I may go back to fiberglass, but it is possible with shrinker/stretcher tools to form extrusions to fit the curve of the skin cutout. I prefer the metal. With a properly formed "L" extrusion around the perimeter, a 1-1/2" skirt of 0.032 could be cut to approximate the same aluminum skirt that is inside the screens on 70s models.

It turns out I have a spare door that no one has claimed. I hate to use it just for this experiment, but it may come to that.

This is sounding like a good project for the 4CU Maintenance rally this year!

Zep
Old 01-22-2009, 12:52 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Zep,

I have an extra small lower window. The one that is on the bottom of the 3 window configuration in the dining / living room area in the front of the trailer. It is a flat window and looks like it will fit nicely 10" - 12" from the top of the door. What would it take for you to make up an inside trim piece?
Buy, barter or firstborn scion of my loins?
Old 01-22-2009, 06:19 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Lew-muh-tic,

I checked the upper vista view. Looks like it's curved too much--there would be a 3/16" gap in the center of the arch, between the window frame and the door skin. Maybe that's not too much. One could probably fill it with gray Vulkem and it would look pretty solid.

You'll have an opposite problem using the flat window--the gap will be along the top and bottom edge of the window, about 5/16".

I'm going to have to do a trim piece for my Caravel. If I can get the 4 corners to work out, I'd be happy to do one for you. Are you going to the 4cu Maintenance Rally this year? Maybe we could form it at the rally. Bringing the shrink/stretch tools is no problem and I've got sufficient "L" extrusion and 0.032 skin.

Zep
Old 01-22-2009, 06:36 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
FWIW , my '76 has an original window in the door ,perhaps they are still available from AS . I've seen other years with them also.
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:53 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
I took the spare door and leaned it against the wall, with the curved vista view and the narrow regular window against it. You wouldn't even need a curtain on the vista view, up high like that, but you could easily take a peek out whenever you wanted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8811 door and windows-s.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	74378

The other window is the opening kind, so you wouldn't need the outer frame. The glass and its frame has a nice little relief around the edge (as you know), so with the appropriate shims you could flush mount that from behind the skin really nicely. But you'd need a curtain of some kind (well, you would, but I wouldn't).

Zep
Old 01-22-2009, 09:03 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post

You'll have an opposite problem using the flat window--the gap will be along the top and bottom edge of the window, about 5/16".

I'm going to have to do a trim piece for my Caravel. If I can get the 4 corners to work out, I'd be happy to do one for you. Are you going to the 4cu Maintenance Rally this year? Maybe we could form it at the rally. Bringing the shrink/stretch tools is no problem and I've got sufficient "L" extrusion and 0.032 skin.

Zep
I placed the flat window in position on the door much the same as you did. As you know the higher you go up on the door the more the curve radius decreases. It looks to me like there is a sweet spot about a foot down from the top of the door. Not quite flat, but maybe flat enough that riveting the window to the skin may draw the skin in just enough to mate. I'll try to take some pics tomorrow. I like the bigger window too, but I think I would move it up just a wee bit higher than your photo.. And thanks for the offer of the trim piece,

Again the maintainance rally is the same time as landsailing in Lordsburg, but if we can do the door that might do it for me. I was thinking about bringin my 62 Ambassador from the Round the World Caravan but I don't know if I can get it ready to tow by then. anyway. The door window is for my 71.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:39 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Missoula , Montana
Hey Zep, ...that extra door you have that no one has claimed? Are all/most AS doors the same size? I won't know whether I need to replace the door in my Sovereign until I pick it up at the end of March and go over it but if you still have the door then and the measurements are right, maybe I could buy it from you? Maybe since you're so talented and all, I could have you put a window in it too?

Just a thought...I know I do want a window in my door eventually so I'll be following this thread to hear what you guys come up with.
blossmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Flat Window

Here's the flat window. Holding up to the door there is about a 1/4" gap at the top and bottom of the curve of the door. Think it will work?
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2009, 05:31 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
I think I'd use the curved version. You'd have a gap at the center of the ends, but I think it would be a little smaller, about 3/16". With the gap at the ends, you'd have less to fill in, just a small crescent under the ends of the frame.

Zep
Old 02-16-2009, 01:25 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I found one of those narrower full height curved windows (see Zeps post #26 above) I didn't know I had. It looks like in the door there is a horizontal rib about half way between the level of the lock and the top of the door, right where the window would go. What I wonder is, if adding the window would weaken, strengthen or make any difference to the integrity of the door. What do you think?
Old 02-16-2009, 02:20 PM   #32
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I found one of those narrower full height curved windows (see Zeps post #26 above) I didn't know I had. It looks like in the door there is a horizontal rib about half way between the level of the lock and the top of the door, right where the window would go. What I wonder is, if adding the window would weaken, strengthen or make any difference to the integrity of the door. What do you think?
If a horizontal stringer in the door must be cut to install a window, simply make sure that the stringer is also attached to the window frame.

That will not reduced the strength in that door area, in any way.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote