Old 07-13-2014, 09:46 AM   #1
New and Eager

1972 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Loomis , California
Add a new window?

Hi there-I can't find too much on the forums so am starting a thread. We would like to add in a new window to our trailer. I found two possible candidates on ebay. Expensive, but hopefully worth it!

Now, has anyone done this that will share info? We'd have to cut into the frame and create a new opening. We're doing a shell off restoration and are willing to try almost anything. I did read that there is no additional "framing" around the windows (like a house) so is it really as simple as cutting the shell? I think we can fit the window between the ribs.

Thank you!

Old 07-13-2014, 11:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by O Shiny View Post
Hi there-I can't find too much on the forums so am starting a thread. We would like to add in a new window to our trailer. I found two possible candidates on ebay. Expensive, but hopefully worth it!

Now, has anyone done this that will share info? We'd have to cut into the frame and create a new opening. We're doing a shell off restoration and are willing to try almost anything. I did read that there is no additional "framing" around the windows (like a house) so is it really as simple as cutting the shell? I think we can fit the window between the ribs.

Thank you!
Cutting a main bow can create a huge problem.

How about posting a sketch or photo.

Andy

Old 07-13-2014, 04:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
You are right, there is no additional framing around the window, so it is really just a matter of cutting a hole and riveting the additional window in place. Make sure your donor window is from a 70's era trailer, as the shape of the bodies is different in the 60's and after '83. The curve of the body also changes from high to low on the wall, so you will need to install the window at roughly the same height as it was originally installed to make it match the curve of the wall properly. Avoid a rib and you should be in good shape.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:00 AM   #4
New and Eager

1972 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Loomis , California
Thank you for all this advice! Still working on finding the donor window. And Andy we'll be sure NOT to cut into a bow. Is that what the ribs are called?
Old 07-14-2014, 10:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
You are safe calling them "ribs."

You might also be wary that typically the places without factory installed windows fall in closets. You may have plans to reorganize your floor plan and move or eliminate the closet, but beware that some of your closets hide plumbing vent piping, and some of this piping is behind the inner wall so may not be noticeable until you remove the inner skin.

Also, the story I heard while watching a video on the making of an Airstream was that the material of the shell itself provides the strength of the shell, that the ribs are just there to create the shape. So as you plan your window, consider how much skin material is no longer going to be there providing strength to the whole structure. You might be weakening it enough that you have troubles down the line with tearing/cracking of the skin in the area of the new window.

good luck!
Old 07-14-2014, 10:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
There is too a frame around the windows!!! Many have added windows to their Airstreams. There is a little more than simply cutting a hole and filling it with the window frame, there is additional structure that is added around the window so that the interior and exterior skin has an attachment point. The interior skin has to be removed in order to achieve the correct fitment and structure of the window. Yes the rib can be cut as Airstream did for many years; However, it is not recommended if additional ribs are not place on either side to recreate the semi-monocoque construction.
Attached Images

Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by O Shiny View Post
Thank you for all this advice! Still working on finding the donor window. And Andy we'll be sure NOT to cut into a bow. Is that what the ribs are called?
Main bows are vertical.

Ribs are horizontal.

Andy
Old 07-20-2014, 10:51 PM   #8
New and Eager

1972 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Loomis , California
Wall to add window

Ok-pulled a panel and looks like there are no ribs in the way.

As you look at the photo, I want to add another 30W x 24H window next to the window on the far right, on the left side of the rib that will be between the windows. There are no other ribs in that area.

This will be in my new galley. We are reworking the floor plan.

Comments and advice are welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wall to add window.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	216888  
Old 07-21-2014, 10:04 AM   #9
New and Eager

1972 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Loomis , California
Using wrong words...sorry Andy!

Vin, thanks for that cool skeleton photo!

So, there are no bows (vertical) in the way where I want to add a window.

I plan to purchase a window just like the one on the far right of my photo and install it at the same height, so curve shouldn't be a problem.

We plan to remove all interior skins so access from inside will not be a problem. We are re-doing all plumbing and electrical so can avoid the new window space.

Do we need to add a rib (horizontal) above or below the new window for added support?