Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2002, 11:06 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Acrylite Window Replacement

Where is Acrlite usually available and is it expensive?

I have a 79 31ft Soveriegn and want to replace the kitchen and one bedroom window as the are smokey.

Is it difficult to cut?
Gordon Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 08:36 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
I've never heard of it, but I'd love to hear about it if you can tell me more. I have a 78 31' Excella 500 and would LOVE to be able to replace some of the inside pieces of the double pane windows. I've thought about breaking them out, but hate to do it without having something to replace it with.

Let me know if you've found anything out.

Craig
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 08:56 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Levan

You can always use Lexan. I cut it with my bandsaw. It about half melts and half cuts. It is easy to get at Home Depot, etc. It is not as scratch resistant as Acrilite, but it works quite well. I made a new rear canopy for my glider with it.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 10:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Acrylite is available plain, with one side coated and both sides coated. AR-! or AR-2. Steel wool will not scratch it. The AR-2 is what we use for 66-67 and 68 windows. Not cheap, but very good stuff. Lexan easily scratches. Usually acrylite is only available from a plastic distributor and usually you must by a 4 x 8 sheet.
Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 11:19 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
Andy,

Would you recommend using acrylite to replace the inner panes of the double pane windows, including the vists views. Is it possible?

Craig
Old 08-09-2002, 12:23 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Thanks John. So you are a glider pilot. I'm a water bomber pilot here in northern Manitoba.
Old 08-09-2002, 01:27 PM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Cool Gliders

I finally gave up and sold my glider a couple of years ago. It is a long way to the glider field and every time I drove there, there was another traffic light or two to hold me up. It finally became too much trouble to go up there by the time I got in the line in the tow sequence and waited for a tow. Texas weather is pretty much unpredictable and I drove up there too many times when I only stayed up 20 minutes. We fly on thermals only, no ridge lift around here.

I was an AF pilot. Flew T-6, T-33 (instructor), F-86D (instructor), C-119, and C-123. For many years, I had a private plane or glider: Aeronca Liason, Aeronca Champ, Tri-Pacer, Cessna 195, Phoebus-A, and Slingsby T-53B.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 10:33 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Old Fart Airplanes

Hi John:

I think I talked to you before about planes. Judging from the vintage of aircraft you flew, you and I are old farts. I've been flying for 37 years all civilian. I fly the Canadair CL215 water bombers for the summer season and relax all winter playing snooker, drinking beer and working out in the gym.
Old 08-10-2002, 11:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Craig. It depends on what you want to do. If you want an inner window, you have more than one choice. Plexiglass is not one of them. You can use clear acrylite or acrylite with an abrasion resistant coating on one side or both sides. You can also use acrylite "solar gray", but it is not available with the scratch resistant surfaces. We always have smaller pieces of the AR-2 on hand that are left overs from cut sheets, that work well for the vista view windows. Since they are remnants, they cost much less.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Old 08-10-2002, 05:53 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
Andy,

I'm about to order a ceiling vent fan motor from you. Would you guys be able to cut me some of the acrylite, from the remnants you have, for 3 vista views and two front corner windows?

Craig
Old 08-11-2002, 11:29 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Craig. Give us the dimensions that you want for those windows. We would send you oversize pieces so that you can trim them to fit.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Old 08-11-2002, 05:04 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
Andy,

For the front corner windows would I use acrylite to replace the inner pane? And on the 78 Excella can these windows be taken apart, or do I have to break the inner pane and replace that way? I've done a lot of reading on the vista views, and it seems my only option there is to break out the inner pane. Do you have any suggestions for replacing the inner pane (best way to do it)? It seems some people recommend just breaking out the inner pane and leaving it that way - is that an option you would ever recommend?

Craig
Old 08-12-2002, 08:46 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Craig. If a dealer broke out the inner window, he would be sued and black balled all over the planet. What someone may or may not do to their Airstream, is solely their business, and for what ever reasons they may have used.
There is no substitute for proper repairs. However, the Disney fortunes all started with Mickey Mouse.
You can take the windows apart, but, since there are no gaskets available, the likelyhood of them leaking after reassembly, I would feel, is outstanding, over a period of time.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com