Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
'76 Wing Windows in '69?

Not concerned about the one-curved corner vs. two-curved corner issue (a '69 thing) as I plan on adding a 'plug' anyway (true '69 wing windows are just TOO rare)... but what I'm really trying to find out is the actual SIZE of the '76 wing windows in relation to my '69 openings.... gurus? I may have a line on a couple of '76 wings and would hate to get them and not have 'em fit...

(I'd post a picture here so you could see just how awful my yellowed, scratched, cracked, cheap-bubbling-sun-tint-over-plexiglas, pop-riveted-in wing windows are...but its too close to supper time...)

thanking ye, in advance, as always..
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:58 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
There was a 69 Airstream on Ebay a while back that had one of the wings replaced with a post 69 on the curb side window. The window appeared to be the same size but there was a very noticeable gap in the bottom outside corner.

Though it isn't a 69 but you could always do what Zepp did.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...ent-57687.html

Good luck,

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The windows are the same dimensions, with the exception of the squared-off corner being radiused on the newer ones.
Just remember that every trailer is "plus or minus", and you may need to drill new holes for the windows. That's the case even if you're not replacing a '69 window with a newer one.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I put a single pane from a 77 double pane in my 71 single pane frame and it worked just fine. You should be able to just rivet in radius fillers and use the later year wing windows. Some hand forming of the window flanges may be necessary for a good fit.

One other option is to just change out those skin segments, easy enough right

Kip
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:51 AM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post

Kip
Now why didn't I think of that?

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Old 03-10-2010, 06:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
I put a single pane from a 77 double pane in my 71 single pane frame and it worked just fine. You should be able to just rivet in radius fillers and use the later year wing windows. Some hand forming of the window flanges may be necessary for a good fit.

Kip
I haven't ruled out the Deluxe Zep Window Treatment, believe me, especially if the current owner of said windows doesn't come through...

I'm ambivalent about the wings in general...I like the panoramic views, but know their reputation for leaking...I'm loaded for bear with Parbond & Vulkem once they're in place....is there some OTHER reason why they leak?

the Zep treatment also greatly simplifies what you do with the curtains inside too (they no longer have to make the curve) but what did he do about the hole created on the interior wall?
Old 03-10-2010, 06:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
OK, just re-read that thread and saw where AW hooked up Zp w/some interior skin (vinyl included) and, natch, it looks great and probably works even better...another forum success! Really interesting how the street vs. curbside windows had a diff of 3/8" inches! plus or minus indeed..
Old 03-10-2010, 07:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
If you are going to change the windows, and if your source doesn't pan out, maybe you could find a pair of those panorama windows from an Argosy. If you did that, you certainly wouldn't need to worry about that little corner of aluminum having to be cut out. It would look cool. It would also give you something to do for a couple of days.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:05 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I had both wings out of my GT and sealed them up well when reinstalling them and have had no problems. I considered removing them along with the Visa Views but my wife informed me that I really did like them and that they needed to stay. By the way a flat piece of aluminum needs to be double contour curved to replace the wings.

Kip
Old 03-10-2010, 09:27 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotochop View Post
I haven't ruled out the Deluxe Zep Window Treatment, believe me, especially if the current owner of said windows doesn't come through...

I'm ambivalent about the wings in general...I like the panoramic views, but know their reputation for leaking...
Which Zep thread ? a link would be very helpful here.

Quote:
I had both wings out of my GT and sealed them up well when reinstalling them and have had no problems. I considered removing them along with the Visa Views but my wife informed me that I really did like them and that they needed to stay. By the way a flat piece of aluminum needs to be double contour curved to replace the wings.

Kip
Kip could you please give a little more definition of a double contour curve?
And would it be easier to make that curve in a sheet of aluminum if one had an original unbroken wing window at hand? If so would that original (pattern) need to be off the trailer?
What type of shop or craft would one go to to have these fillers made? Is it a difficult thing for said shop? Would you take a guess at what one should expect to pay?
Seems to me it might make sense for someone to make up a number of these for each side and offer them for sale ?

Lastly I wonder if there would be enough "flat room" in the filler panel (patch) to place a porthole or diamond shaped lite? Not sure how it could be stiffened enough to receive one, but it might look interesting if at all feasable.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:42 AM   #11

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
Kip could you please give a little more definition of a double contour curve?.
These threads have some good photo documentation of the process. I believe Zepp ended up going with the 2-panel configuration.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...highlight=wing

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f421...ion-37609.html (post #55 & #58)

William C. Swinney

Old 03-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd90mac View Post
If you are going to change the windows, and if your source doesn't pan out, maybe you could find a pair of those panorama windows from an Argosy. If you did that, you certainly wouldn't need to worry about that little corner of aluminum having to be cut out. It would look cool. It would also give you something to do for a couple of days.
...yeah, that last part is the problem

but those wraparound wings would be awesome...there's one for sale here in N.O. with those in front AND rear...
Old 03-10-2010, 01:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
A flat sheet will not fit properly as the window plate has to match the compound curve of the skin segments. Zep did make a one piece unit as I gave him the tool to roll the curves with. He just liked the 2 piece look better. The double pane wing window glass that I used one pane of to replace the plexi on my GT came from his 77 Safari. We are constantly helping each other out even though he lives about 60 miles south of me.

Kip
Old 03-10-2010, 03:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
A-Wood, you and Zep (along with Winick, Carlos, Uwe, boatdoc and a bunch of other awesome renovators I've yet to meet) are big-time heroes to me and the other "knuckle-busters" (informally defined as those of us with just enough skills and tools to keep our families camping in style ;-) and I really enjoy hearing about your two-buck escapades then seeing the awesome end results...don't stop!

one more arcane wing window question: did these '76 wing windows I'm closing in on come OEM as single-pane, or double?? thankye
Old 03-10-2010, 04:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I believe they are double.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
argh... should I "convert" them to single or just shoot 'em in as-is?
Old 03-10-2010, 09:55 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Are both your 69 windows plexi Rick? I need a glass street side... Could offset your purchase of those 70's windows
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:33 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotochop View Post
argh... should I "convert" them to single or just shoot 'em in as-is?
If you went with single then you would have to come up with a filler to replace the removed glass and seal. Double you could just shoot them in. Is the double frame going to effect the re installation of the interior trim , as it is thicker.

Kip
Old 03-11-2010, 06:49 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
Are both your 69 windows plexi Rick? I need a glass street side... Could offset your purchase of those 70's windows
Yep, Scott, they're both plex and quite awful looking...they're so ugly that even if I replaced them with peeling-bubbling-2pane-tint (but glass) it would definitely be an 'upgrade'...

I'm surprised there's not more support for changing out these wings with the (supposedly) un-scratchable Lexan....assuming that stuff will bend into the proper curve without cracking...I've read Rich Luhr's (I think) thread where he bakes the stuff into a curve, but it still doesn't curve correctly, maybe that's the real problem with it in a 'wing' application...
Old 03-11-2010, 06:58 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
If you went with single then you would have to come up with a filler to replace the removed glass and seal. Double you could just shoot them in. Is the double frame going to effect the re installation of the interior trim , as it is thicker.

Kip
On curbside the interior trim is completely missing, so I'm left with improvising whether I replace the window or not...another reason/vote for replacing them... I do have some of that gold-colored (what IS that stuff anyway? brass plated over aluminum?) metal trim you find on certain bath parts....

...the owner said he 'thought' the wings were single-pane, but I'll just have to see when I get there....at this point, if they don't look completely atrocious I'll probably install them as-is, even if they're double-pane...