Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
I believe they are double.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
argh... should I "convert" them to single or just shoot 'em in as-is?

fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:55 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Are both your 69 windows plexi Rick? I need a glass street side... Could offset your purchase of those 70's windows
LOOKING FOR A COUNTER HEIGHT KREFFT REFRIGERATOR!!
goransons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:33 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotochop View Post
argh... should I "convert" them to single or just shoot 'em in as-is?
If you went with single then you would have to come up with a filler to replace the removed glass and seal. Double you could just shoot them in. Is the double frame going to effect the re installation of the interior trim , as it is thicker.

Kip
Old 03-11-2010, 07:49 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
Are both your 69 windows plexi Rick? I need a glass street side... Could offset your purchase of those 70's windows
Yep, Scott, they're both plex and quite awful looking...they're so ugly that even if I replaced them with peeling-bubbling-2pane-tint (but glass) it would definitely be an 'upgrade'...

I'm surprised there's not more support for changing out these wings with the (supposedly) un-scratchable Lexan....assuming that stuff will bend into the proper curve without cracking...I've read Rich Luhr's (I think) thread where he bakes the stuff into a curve, but it still doesn't curve correctly, maybe that's the real problem with it in a 'wing' application...
Old 03-11-2010, 07:58 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
If you went with single then you would have to come up with a filler to replace the removed glass and seal. Double you could just shoot them in. Is the double frame going to effect the re installation of the interior trim , as it is thicker.

Kip
On curbside the interior trim is completely missing, so I'm left with improvising whether I replace the window or not...another reason/vote for replacing them... I do have some of that gold-colored (what IS that stuff anyway? brass plated over aluminum?) metal trim you find on certain bath parts....

...the owner said he 'thought' the wings were single-pane, but I'll just have to see when I get there....at this point, if they don't look completely atrocious I'll probably install them as-is, even if they're double-pane...
Old 03-16-2010, 08:25 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Working on new/old wing windows

..got ahold of two PPG glass wing windows from a '76, looks like they'll fit...

..first thing I noticed when cleaning up was the still-gummy sealer that is shown below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Olivier_100316_6029.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	98229

..I'm not getting OEM vibes from this stuff...anybody know if they came from the factory like this?..it just seems too soft and pliable for 40 years old....I sure wasn't at that age...

...oh, and have I told you how awful my existing wings are?

Name:	Olivier_100316_6030.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	98230

...this is why you DON'T want to use plex on your trailer!

...the new wings are not too bad, but I did notice this sketchy-looking corner:

Name:	Olivier_100316_6031.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	98231

..where it looks like someone added a screw ?? weren't these originally welded/brazed together? should I re-weld when assembling?....

..and getting back to that gummy sealer...aren't these correctly installed with Par-bond or Vulkem under the lip? the one good thing about the gummy stuff is it must have made them a lot easier for the seller to remove...I know that once the Vulkem dries it makes for a damn tight grip...unless I hear otherwise thats what I'm going to put them in with...

thanks!
Old 03-17-2010, 08:17 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
..can anyone tell me the BEST gasket/sealant to use between exterior skin and wing window when installing the whole sash/window in the trailer? (this will be the material that doesn't show, behind the wing window frame and I'm assuming, pushed out somewhat when the rivets go in..)

is it important that the window be (easily) removed in the future? the stuff I have is called "Trem-Pro"....
thanks
Old 03-17-2010, 08:42 AM   #23
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Rick, the gummy stuff was from the factory (I call it gumpucky), the best stuff to reseal is Vulkem 116, and that screw was installed by the factory to hold the frame together. It should thread up into a channel in the frame.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:59 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Question Begging the question

Quote:
...the owner said he 'thought' the wings were single-pane, but I'll just have to see when I get there......
Quote:
..got ahold of two PPG glass wing windows from a '76, looks like they'll fit...

...the new wings are not too bad, but I did notice this sketchy-looking corner:
..where it looks like someone added a screw ?? weren't these originally welded/brazed together? should I re-weld when assembling?....
So, Rick were they single or double pane?
As for the weld or screw ...I would think that if they had ever been welded you could see remnants of it. If the opposite one is welded (is it?) I would guess it was done later in life. Doesn't the frame need a "relief valve" for glass replacement..? Hence the screw which allows the frame to open a bit..?

If you get the chance, might you post a pic of the whole (uninstalled) windows front & rear straight on shots if possible.
Thanks and good luck with the install. Hope you will do pix of the corner (square to curved) fitting procedures.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:29 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
As mentioned above those screws are there to remove that portion of the frame to install the glass. I had to remove that vertical frame in order to replace the glass in mine. I used an aircraft fuel tank sealent on mine so I guess vulcum would be the sealer of choice. be prepared for surprises when you pull the old window out. I had alot of extra holes in my trailer that I had to fill as they fell outside off the window frame. It looks like you have the single pane version. Check out pages 6, 8, and 11 of my thread for my wing window adventures

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f416...nte-26902.html

Kip
Old 03-17-2010, 09:59 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
69 windows

All the windows in the 69 models were single pane, and only glass was used, no plastic.

The double panes came into being at a later date.

There would be no point in installing double pane anything, in a 69 model.

Be aware, that the double pane windows had many problems, especially the wing windows.

Andy
Old 03-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
..thanks, all, good info..

..I think the new ones are single pane, but I'll try and post some detail photos and you can all chime in... remember, they're from a '76..

... they don't have any sign of tint or condensation INSIDE the glass..

..they do have some cheapo tint added by a p.o. (in STRIPs, no less!) that should be pretty easy to remove...my plan is to get some nice beautiful clean clear GLASS wing windows installed, then add one of those cool 'wraparound shades' tinted lexan rockguards....lord, will my neighbors be relieved to not have to look at this street-facing atrocity anymore, especially once I get that mega-roof-dent pushed out from inside...

..I think the Trem-Pro is Vulkem by a newer name...

...and Kip, your GT is so dang clean, I love it...gives me a long-term goal to shoot for..
Old 03-17-2010, 01:00 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
I just wish I could stay home long enough to finish the interior. Leaving again next week for a week, and as it now looks, I'll be gone all summer again.

Kip