Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2011, 03:39 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Burnsville , North Carolina
'73 Tradewind Windows Vista and Front Sides

Can the windows be removed and the glass replaced at local glass company?

The wing windows have leaked between the panes. A PO may have removed the interior piece on one side so it is clear, or replaced with single pane of glass. The other side (curb) is ugly along with the two vista windows and thetwo side small non opening windows.

The shade over the sink is shot. Is there a replacement shade available?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
constructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
If things get really bad, you can remove the wing windows and skin over the hole. Here's a tip on how to get the compound curve for the new skin.

Fixing the Vista View windows is much easier!

As you can see, I think there's way too much leaky glass in 70s Airstreams.

Zep
Old 01-27-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Oh the 70s and the Beatrice Foods. For that matter all large corporations scare me. Are replacements available through suppliers? I would hate to skin over them. There is a junk yard for RV's in North Florida, maybe we can get them there?

And you are saying a local glass company won't be able to help?

I am a bit dense ha.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #4
x

XXXX , XXXX
Ann the real issue is getting the right gasket for the windows. It is not available. Replacement windows are available from Airstream, they are not cheap and are only single pane. To repair or replace the wing windows the frame must be removed from the shell by drilling out all the rivets in the window frame.
Look at your vistaview and stack windows(the two side non opening windows). Do they have an aluminium trim ring against the inner pane? Is the inner pane glass or plexiglass? If you have the trim ring it is easier to repair these type of windows. If you do not have the trim ring and the inner panes are glass you must break the inner panes to repair this type.
There are two schools of thought regarding these windows(well three if you include Zep's method of skinning over the openings). One is to repair the double pane set up which is tricky and labor intensive and the other is to remove the inner pane and discard it.
There are plenty of threads on these repairs. Just do a google search in the windows forum and spend some time reading.
I personally have repaired my double pane set ups in my 73. I haven't yet tackled the wing windows. I bought a NOS(new old stock) wing window and plan to replace the original and then try to repair the original. I just didn't want to mess with the original without a back up on hand. Zep has done this type of window repair with good results.
Chris.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by constructor View Post
...And you are saying a local glass company won't be able to help?...
They can help only if they have capability to bend and anneal glass. So probably not.

You might ask Vintage Trailer Supply how they are getting their replacement glass for the 68 models. Those panels are unframed and slightly curved. They are also safety glass (annealed).

Zep
Old 01-27-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Ann the real issue is getting the right gasket for the windows. It is not available.

the other is to remove the inner pane and discard it.
Even if you find a used gasket, it probably will be too brittle to use. You can float the window in Vulkem.

If you go through the trouble of removing the inner pane without destroying it. Save it for a replacement, or sell it.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:46 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Sault ste Marie , Ontario
Front sealed window repair

I almost hate to get into this, but you can fix the wing windows without breaking anything. I did both of mine last spring and if they make it through this winter storage with seals intact, I'll consider the thing a success. (it was all about the inch and a half of water between the panes.) First you drill out the rivits around all three sides and tap the sliding retainer free. remove enough inner trim to get at the inside and get as much of the sealant off the inner frame as you can. One thing too remember is this glass is tempered so it doesn't take kindly to sharp hits. If you have to pry the frames loose, do it CAREFULLY with a wide pry bar slowly. Slide a wide scraper under the edges to help break the bond. It was hard to believe the goop was still soft after 36 years. When you have them off, now you get to remove the windows from the frames. Mine were single piece on three sides and a straight piece screwed on the inside edge. If the screws were stainless they should come out, if not, the heads come off and the rest can be ground out with a thin grinding disc on a die grinder later. Now the windows and rubber seal surrounding them can be GENTLY removed from the frames. Try and remove the rubber seal intact so you can re-use it. You now have a window with the two panes stuck together with some mysterious grey substance. Once again pry the two apart with care. then clean off the offending grey stuff. Lacquer thinner or toluol seems to work ( VENTILLATE). I couldn't find anything to completely remove the old water stains on the inner surfaces, so I'm living with it. The decision now is single or double pane installation. Silly me, I decided to do a double. Went to Home Depot and got some quarter inch unicellular weather strip and laid it all around between the two panes about 1/4 inch inside the edges. Then filled the 1/4 inch gap around the edge with a good silicone sealer. You may have to lightly clamp them to try and maintain the 1/4 inch gap evenly all around. Then when cured, the rubber seal goes back on and the window is reinstalled in it's frame. Using your goop of choice to bed the frame, reinstall in trailer. The rubber seal is old and probably will leak, so I took a knife and cut the edge all around the frame them masked about 3/16ths all around and sealed the window to the frame after it was installed. Did 8000 killometres this fall and it didn't leak a drop. Hope this helps.
pgr32e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Amen on the 1-1/2" of water. I think one of mine had as much as 3" at one time, maybe a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgr32e View Post
...You now have a window with the two panes stuck together with some mysterious grey substance. Once again pry the two apart with care. then clean off the offending grey stuff. Lacquer thinner or toluol seems to work ( VENTILLATE). I couldn't find anything to completely remove the old water stains on the inner surfaces, so I'm living with it. ...
Use wooden wedges to separate the glass panes. I've had good success with 2" long and about 1/2" thick at the thick end. If you use metal, or try to pry them apart with a screwdriver, you will break the glass. Trust me on this. I pound the wedges in slowly, all around the periphery--takes maybe 10-12 wedges. The gray goop really resists the wedges, so you hae to whack them a bit, just be careful that you don't push them in too much at a time.

You can remove the water stains with a glass polishing kit. Be careful--tempered glass doesn't like any disturbance of its surface (lots of tension in the outer layer, which is what makes it shatter into small pieces), so only polish it very sparingly. You can get these kits at Harbor Freight for restoring headlights or windshields.

Zep
Old 01-28-2011, 05:44 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Window help and entertainment

Thanks PGR32E and Zep, The Constructor was thinking something like this was possible. You tear em apart and putem back together types are very nice to have around. I will let you know which way he goes and how it goes. Right now we are so busy at work and the Constructor blew out his knee so we read each night, survey ole Haley more, and plan the job.

We have turned off the TV since we are having so much fun reading all the advice. Too bad someone couldn't make a "Life Forum" that gave such great advise on how to get a job done correctly.

Tags
kitchen shade, window replacement, vista view windows