Old 03-06-2016, 10:09 PM   #1
BW

1973 31' Sovereign
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Send a message via Skype™ to BWMorgan225
'73 Airstream Wing Window Removal

Does anyone have photos/instructions on how to remove the front wing window in order to clean the windows?

I have removed all of the screws from the inside. Lots of caulking to be removed. I assume the frame can be removed from the inside and the glass separated from the frame for cleaning.

Anyone done this?

Old 03-23-2016, 05:39 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Orlando , Florida
Hey BMW:

I'm doing the same thing right now. I also removed the inner phillips screws, and most of the Vulkum or Butyl (not sure which it actually is) If you have the owners manual their is a page about how to do this, but It's not really clear.

"Using wide base screw driver and protecting exterior with piece of wood, gently and slowly pry sash from frame. Pry only along vertical extrusion between wing window and center window. Inside butyrate tape will readily stretch"

This is under "Exterior Wing Window Removal and Replacement"

So I'm assuming that the two windows are not mechanical connected, other than by the inner screws. So according to these instructions, you should simply be able to pry the outer wing window out...

I'm going to go try this now.

Let me know if you found better info. I think I've seen it here somewhere. I wish we could somehow "favorite" members posts so we could build our own "how to" library for our projects!

Brek

Old 03-23-2016, 05:41 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Orlando , Florida
Here's a link that may or may not be helpful...

http://www.airstreamcentral.com/arti...eam/Page1.html

Brek
Old 03-23-2016, 06:31 PM   #4
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarmanFL View Post
Hey BMW:

I'm doing the same thing right now. I also removed the inner phillips screws, and most of the Vulkum or Butyl (not sure which it actually is) If you have the owners manual their is a page about how to do this, but It's not really clear.

"Using wide base screw driver and protecting exterior with piece of wood, gently and slowly pry sash from frame. Pry only along vertical extrusion between wing window and center window. Inside butyrate tape will readily stretch"

This is under "Exterior Wing Window Removal and Replacement"

So I'm assuming that the two windows are not mechanical connected, other than by the inner screws. So according to these instructions, you should simply be able to pry the outer wing window out...

I'm going to go try this now.

Let me know if you found better info. I think I've seen it here somewhere. I wish we could somehow "favorite" members posts so we could build our own "how to" library for our projects!

Brek
Brek, this is correct information for the '73, assuming everything is factory original. You remove the small screws on the inside. They hold the outside window and frame on. Then GENTLY pry the outside window off. Be very careful removing and reinstalling those screws. The glass is very close to the edges of the inside frame. I managed to break the outside glass on the curbside assembly. One of the screws had to be drilled out and I got too close the glass with the drill bit. Shattered instantly.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:17 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
I did this on my 74 last month. Here's the blog post with pictures:
http://thegreatleys.com/journal/2016/2/22/2-15
Old 03-24-2016, 10:22 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Orlando , Florida
After considering my options:

My driver inner wing was already fractured. So I finished it off and went single pane, then I took my tack hammer and intentionally broke my passenger inner wing window. I scraped the gunk out,, cleaned them both. Looks great.

Done.