Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2004, 06:57 AM   #1

Thumbs up '72 Ambassador

I just bought this yesterday. Its in pretty good shape. I need to fix the window tint peeling prob., and the clear-coat peeling prob. What can I expect? I'll be posting my advances in this endeaver so wish me luck!!! Im a newbie to the site but I love it allready. There are some knowledgeable people here for sure..
Tony Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 08:09 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
72 Ambassador

Greetings Tony Jenkins!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Jenkins
I just bought this yesterday. Its in pretty good shape. I need to fix the window tint peeling prob., and the clear-coat peeling prob. What can I expect? I'll be posting my advances in this endeaver so wish me luck!!! Im a newbie to the site but I love it allready. There are some knowledgeable people here for sure..
In regard to the window tint issue. You may have either one of two problems. If you have the double-pane windows, the tint film is between the panes of glass and will be something of a problem to correct - - the two most often mentioned solutions is to replace with entirely new single-pane window units; or mechanically remove the inner pane by carefully breaking. Both of the above methods have been discussed in threads that can be found by performing a forums search (click on the "Search" button at the top of this page). If your windows are single-pane, the film is probably applied to the inside of the glass and can be removed with the appropriate adhesive remover (try checking with a company that applies window tint to cars/trucks).

The Plasticoat is a special proprietary product that was developed for Airstream. It tends to cling tenaciously where it is well adhered, and usually requires a fairly stong stripper that is designed for aluminum aircraft. It is a big, messy job to remove the Plasticoat with stripper; and then the job is polish and maintain or re-Plasticoat. There are several firms across the country who specialize in polishing and re-Plasticoating Airstreams. The Ruths of P and S Trailer Service are among the older firms offering the service. They are located in Helena, Ohio a short distance South of I-90. They polished and Plasticoated my Overlander about three years ago - - the result was fantastic and the Plasticoat still looks new (it has received twice annual Walbernize treatments to keep up its appearance).

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote