Old 05-03-2010, 03:07 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Kremmling , Colorado
'71 Excella window help needed bad!

I think I have some serious issues with my right side (wing?) window. It's the one that swings up next to the door. The top rail that is riveted to the frame that hinges in the groove to hang it is tweaked/bent and will not go back in. I tried to force it a bit and popped the rivets out! I took it off and straightened it as best as I could and had a guy at the aircraft maint hanger rivet it back together. No luck. Still won't hinge in.
I think I need the trim/rail piece if someone knows where to get it or have it made, or a new window as this one looks warped. I'm in a hurry of course as we are planning on moving into her for the summer.
Any help on this is greatly appreciated for this Alaska Airstreamer.

Regards,

Mtrekker

Old 05-03-2010, 06:45 AM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Try lifting the window w-a-a-y up while working it into the slot. You can also use a rubber mallet to tap the hinge to help get it back where it needs to be. Some silicone slip spray on the hinge will help as well.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I agree with Terry. Lift it up past 90 degrees to engage it.

By the way wing windows are the fixed windows on either side of the front center window.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
When we re-installed our windows, none of them went back in easily. We worked as a team, and while I held the window up past 90 degrees, Kay would guide the hinge into place. She or I would then need to push up in the middle of the hinge to get it to engage fully. Basically, the ends engaged just fine, but the middle required a bit of extra persuasion.

Good luck!
Chris
Old 05-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Kremmling , Colorado
The trim rail is way out of whack on this one. Thanks for the help, but does anyone know where to get another rail? I'm stumped. I'll make sure to try the other techniques on the next ones. <sigh>

Mtrekker
Old 05-03-2010, 01:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Which part is bad? The "J" hinge on the window, or the frame itself? Can you post a picture of the bad part?

If you need a replacement, one place to try is COLAW RV PARTS & SALVAGE | WE HAVE YOUR PART!.

Chris
Old 05-04-2010, 05:19 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Kremmling , Colorado
The "J" hinge on the window for sure. I maybe able to bend the frame a little to get it to fit better.

Mtrekker
Old 05-04-2010, 06:40 AM   #8
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Last-ditch effort would involve removing the J part from the window, and working it into place in the frame, then re-riveting it onto the window while the hinge is in place, using pop rivets. If you do this, make sure the head of the rivets faces in toward the trailer, so the expanding end of the rivet doesn't bind in the frame.
Again, this is a last attempt if nothing else works short of buying a new window.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #9

1971 27' Overlander
Oakland , California
Hi.. I have a 71 overlander which I am searching for a replacement window for.. same one as you are dealing with.. I broke it with my weed eater.. still in shock.. by any chance did you come across someone who may have a replacement glass for the window.. or if you got a whole new one.. and don't need your glass ? I could try and get it in my frame.. desperate for a window.. thanks,, mark