Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
'68 Trade Wind Small Lower Window Removal

Hope someone can give me advise on how to remove the bottom windows on my 68 TW. I got new curved glass from Andy @ Inland for the top and replaced the smoked plexiglass. Looks great and now I need to get the small rectangular flat lower windows out. I drilled the rivets out on both sides on the inside (3 on each side). I can put a putty knife along the edges, but it will NOT push inward( has to come out that way). The gasket material is old and hard and I don't want to cut it due to impossibility of finding replacement to fit in the grove. I am at my wits end on this one, anyone who has replaced a lower window and can help will be a hero!

Thanks in advance,

Bruce
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
On my 1967 Tradewind a PO had installed plex,so my gasket material was gone. They had glued in the plex with tons of hardware store silicone. I had a glass shop cut me a piece of tempered glass, which I siliconed back in. I am a Ford mechanic by trade and I swear by Ford or Navistar silicone. Navistar is a division of International, which makes Ford's Powerstroke diesels. If you go to an International truck dealer you can buy the Navistar silicone. It is grey, and totally differant than hardware store or even NAPA silicone.I used a very thin(VERY thin) bead on the inside of the window frame and then pressed the glass into it. The next day I trimmed the small excess off the out side of the window. That was some month's and over 2000 miles ago. From my experiance with this brand of silicone I expect no problems. Adios, John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Thanks John.

Did you remove the inner stop. I'd like to try and save the gasket, but your solutions seems like a good one.

Bruce
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
My inner stops had been drilled and were held in with 3 screws on each side. I replaced them after I installed the new glass, but they don't touch the glass. Mostly I put them back so I didn't lose them. Adios, John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Englewood , Colorado
HI Just got done doing the same window, but on my 66" Safari. The previous owner must have had to break in to the trailer to unlock the door and instead of replacing the glass they screwed a piece of cardboard to the aluminum frame, what a mess. Then they proceeded to silicone around it to keep it weather-tight. Well I couldn't have any of that so I began to take it apart and clean up the mess. I ordered a piece of tempered glass form a glass shop ($10). The next thing was to determine whether to use the old rubber glazing strips or to get new. One piece was missing, the rubber had hardened and now had screw holes through it from the plywood fix. So my quest began to try to find new glazing material that would work. After much calling around I found a glass shop that could get me material that was close enough in profile and would work. After cleaning ans scraping the window frame and channels, I tried to find out what was used as a glazing putty between the aluminum frame and glass. I was told I could just use silicone, but as this is a moving breathing trailer I wanted to use whatever was originally used. The material was still pliable and finally someone said that 40 years ago plumbers putty was quite often used. I tried that and voila, it worked great. Below are some pics of my repair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5241[1].jpg
Views:	157
Size:	595.5 KB
ID:	85835   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5243[1].jpg
Views:	171
Size:	445.1 KB
ID:	85836  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5240[1].jpg
Views:	140
Size:	641.3 KB
ID:	85837  
AudioMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:49 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Largo , Florida
Hello Fellas,
I have a '68 24' Tradewind. I had to replace two of the curved windows. The forward street side window won't close all the way. Any idea what I did wrong with that window install? I now have 2 and 3 layers of window gasket material trying to keep out the weather & rain.
Airstream Judy
Old 08-21-2009, 08:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Sealing window

AudioMike and 68 TWind, If you can find the same profile gasket that as found you can use it. Check local glass shops for the gasket that most closely matches what you remove. Be careful not to break the glass and place a wide flat scrapper between the glass/gasket and the aluminum sheet. Break the seal slowly between the seal and metal. Clean up the glas and all old silicone or sealant from the metal and clamps. Then seal around the glass edge to outer skin with Vulkem 636 or Sikaflex 221. That is the recommended way per Andy R from InlandRv. He should know! Hope this helps. Happy Trails, ED
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote