Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2017, 11:22 PM   #1

Lake city , Florida
68 sovereign window rebuilding

New to the forum! Vast knowledge base.

I am rebuilding the windows in my 68 sovereign and I purchased all 18! Phillips latches and clips from vts.

I have already broken one Corning window attempting to remove the rusted clips from the bottom of the window attached to the 68 steel window "frame"... A $160 oops...

Any better ideas for removing the old clips!? Please help!!!
phisheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:34 AM   #2
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
Hi there,

For solvents that I've tried, can't say that silicone remover works better than wd-40. Try anything you have at hand.
It might be that late 1967 built '68s used up what was left from the previous year. Some of my clips were directly on the glass, and some were on the stainless edge band that is unique to 1968. So, two sizes of clips. Some were siliconed, some were dry fit.
A few days of solvent soaking, razor blades, violin string, wriggling...

1968 is a pretty nice year to rebuild.
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:14 AM   #3

Lake city , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUMINUMINUM View Post
Hi there,

For solvents that I've tried, can't say that silicone remover works better than wd-40. Try anything you have at hand.
It might be that late 1967 built '68s used up what was left from the previous year. Some of my clips were directly on the glass, and some were on the stainless edge band that is unique to 1968. So, two sizes of clips. Some were siliconed, some were dry fit.
A few days of solvent soaking, razor blades, violin string, wriggling...

1968 is a pretty nice year to rebuild.
Thanks for the reply! I also thought of guitar/violin strings to get under the clips. I spoke with Steve from VTS and he also suggested a drywall tape knife.

To anyone else reading, DO NOT USE A FLAT SCREWDRIVER! Unless you want to buy a new window...
Old 06-30-2017, 12:27 AM   #4

Lake city , Florida
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170630_022523.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	288453
With a rasor window widget, finesse, and wriggling, window clips gone!
Old 06-30-2017, 04:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
My 67 has the same clips. I'm still not brave enough to try to remove them.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:56 PM   #6

Lake city , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Girl View Post
My 67 has the same clips. I'm still not brave enough to try to remove them.
67 should be easier without the stainless window trim. Time, wriggling, a little solvent and a window razor will make work of it!
Old 07-06-2017, 05:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Spray them down with a good solvent a couple of times over a day or two, let it really soak in. Lay a small block of wood layer on the glass and then tap it gently to get the clip moving after a good soaking.
Caution, when you take the broken glass out of the frame DO NOT use a screwdriver to pry the two parts of the glass bar apart as it is very easy to bend the part. Use a heat gun or hair dyer to get the sealer soft and then gently pull them apart. I used a propane torch on a couple of mine that had epoxy holding in plexiglass. When you put the new glass in there are several options to seal it. I used thin double stick tape (I replace all the windows in my 68 and one twice) so got the process down. Use 4 or 5 small clamps to squeeze the two parts of the glass bar together. Apply a little pressure starting in the middle and working your way out and then add a little more. This will squeeze the tape and pull the two parts together. Take your time. This will work with butyl tape or Vulcem too (do not us silicone). If you try to just use the screws to pull the window parts together they will strip as the aluminum in the frame is very soft and then you will have to use a bigger screw. (How do I know this?)
Good luck, PM me if you have more questions.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:24 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by phisheads View Post
67 should be easier without the stainless window trim. Time, wriggling, a little solvent and a window razor will make work of it!
In a weird way I was almost grateful that the front and rear windows on my 67 has been replaced with plexiglass.
When I replaced them with new tempered glass the clips went on effortlessly.
It may have been easier to replace the windows than the clips themselves. ;-)
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1968, corning glass, sovereign, window