Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2016, 07:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Manheim , Pennsylvania
'68 Lower Flat Panel Window Leaks

Hey everyone, I'm doing a full remodel on a '68 Overlander. The PO put in a few plexiglass replacements (front, rear curbside, and rear street side) I really don't like them, and am most likely going to replace them with VIntage Trailer supply replacement windows since the Original Corning Glass are slim pickings. That being said, the front will be tempered glass. Local glass shop quoted me $35. Can't complain, so I will do the back one while I am at it too for that price. So I might as well change out the old Corning flat glass under the dining area windows? Here is why... Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	269854 sorry it's sideways, I can't ever figure that out either.

That happens EVERYTIME it rains. The seals around the flat glass have shrunk about an inch and water just pours in... But how do I get this window out and replaced?? Looking at it, I see no easy way. Do I need to drill out the rivets holding the inside frames in place and then re-seal, and rerivet? Seems like it would be a tight spot to rivet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...te-145553.html
SonOfAnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:28 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Rockford , Michigan
The gray molding on the inside holds the glass against the bedding material on the outside. Try to cut/ pick the gray molding out. That should allow you to remove the glass, clean and replace the bedding, and install new gasket and bedding.
Vintage Trailer Supply sells the exact replacement gasket for those windows.
I broke a tempered original during my renovation. I replaced it with standard glass instead of tempered.
Good luck,
Mark

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
newas4mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:51 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Manheim , Pennsylvania
I still can't figure out how to remove these windows short of breaking one to see how it is supposed to go back together! I discovered today that nearly all of the rivets holding it to the window ribs are broken anyways... Has anyone else fixed these?

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...te-145553.html
SonOfAnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:58 AM   #4

1968 26' Overlander
Harrisburg , Pennsylvania
I see it's been a while

I wondered if you were able to get things worked out?
I also have a 68 OL and just replaced the seals on that window last night.
68OLAS4Me is offline   Reply With Quote