Old 10-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Westford , Massachusetts
'68 ambassador: front window: proper restoration

The front window is missing, the astrophysicists who used the trailer as a lab had a large air conditioner in place of the window. I'd like to reconstruct it but I don't know where to start the battle. I got a plexiglass to fit in but dont see how the slot will hold it in. The mechanisms to crank the window open or closed seem to be there but rusty. There is a large hinge acrossed the top-could the window flip open? The window is just the start, there seems to be hardware for an antenna and an awning. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frontwindowtop.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	141570   Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	276.6 KB
ID:	141571  

Old 10-03-2011, 09:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
The pics aren’t too clear but my ’67 had a front window break out on the road and the set up is similar.
The arms on the outside of the trailer are for the rock guard. There will be a hinged piece above the main window for the top of the guard. Ignore that for now.
The window lifter, and upper window frame/hinge look intact? It's similar to the frame on the side windows.
There is probably broken glass and sealer in the hinge. Clean it out and slip the plexi in and trim it to fit the window opening as good as possible. Do you have the clips that go on the bottom of the “glass” that the lower latches grab onto? If not bend up some sheet metal to fit over the bottom of the plexi so you can pull the glass in tight.
Slip the plexi into the channel with a dab of caulk and close it up as tight as possible.
There are plenty of threads on the Corning windows of this vintage when you’re ready for a permanent repair. The lower clips are still available and new tempered glass can be ordered from a good glass shop.

Good luck,
Tom.

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68ambassador View Post
The front window is missing, the astrophysicists who used the trailer as a lab had a large air conditioner in place of the window. I'd like to reconstruct it but I don't know where to start the battle. I got a plexiglass to fit in but dont see how the slot will hold it in. The mechanisms to crank the window open or closed seem to be there but rusty. There is a large hinge acrossed the top-could the window flip open? The window is just the start, there seems to be hardware for an antenna and an awning. Any suggestions would be welcome.
The original glass front window is still available.

Andy
Old 10-04-2011, 11:30 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Westford , Massachusetts
Thanks

Will do, this is what I was looking for... Will the replacement windows have the aluminum trim for the interior arm to hook onto?
Old 10-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Will do, this is what I was looking for... Will the replacement windows have the aluminum trim for the interior arm to hook onto?
That stainless steel trim got to be a real headache with the metal shop.

So, as a result, we do not have that trim any longer.

Andy
Old 10-05-2011, 08:16 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Westford , Massachusetts
Anyone have a workaround once the glass is obtained as to how to put the metal trim onto the top of the window so the inside retracting arm can latch on?
Old 10-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Anyone have a workaround once the glass is obtained as to how to put the metal trim onto the top of the window so the inside retracting arm can latch on?
Starting at the window operator, the next part is a flat metal 'link" that's attached to a "bar arm" that is attached to the window hinge.

Those parts purpose is to open and close the window.

They have nothing to do with retaining the glass.

The glass on a 68 is held in place by using some double sided tape at the top, that is sandwiched between the hinge, which opens up when the inside screws are removed.

The excess double sided tape is then trimmed off.

Only takes a few minutes.

Andy
Old 10-06-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Westford , Massachusetts
window stuff

Thanks Andy, I don't doubt its that easy, I'm stretched out like a one armed paper hanger and I occasionally overlook the obvious but I'm going to look it over and see if what you say is true.

I remember looking at it and deciding that the grabber on er of the inside window mechanism didn't seem to reach out as far as the window hinge.

I'm surprised I missed something as simple as a screw that binds the slot that the window gozinta. Now it is dark and I'm tempted to go out and inspect the thing again. The tape is to thicken things up a bit or buffer the glass? I guess I'll probably figure it out.

Sorry to mumble-Thanks again