Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2009, 08:14 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , United States
Lift mechanism parts are still available for the 66,67,68 windows, (no hinges though) but the device that grabs the window clip and holds the glass to the frame are only available used, waiting to see if someone can come up with a substitute..anyone?
Greg
Greg@AirLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:24 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Yep! You can still get them. Philips Windows Rack Operator.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:48 AM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Corning glass shattered -- redux

Wow, Silverleeper -- I'm impressed that you found that old thread from years ago when I was trying to find a suitable Lexan replacement for my curved Corning glass windows.

Quite a coincidence too. This morning I am in my 1968 Caravel for the first time in five years (long renovation!), in Albuquerque, having just heard the sound of the front window shattering as I slept. For the record, it's quite a loud bang. Woke me up rather abruptly at 4:24 a.m. (Temperature: 30 degrees)

Well, that was the last original window in the trailer, I hope. I believe we replaced all three of the curved side windows during the renovation. The rear window may be original, but I won't know until daybreak when I can see the glass stamp.

My experiment way back in 2004 (?) when was promising but incomplete. After I did my home experiment with an oven, some Lexan, and a crude mold, I took larger pieces over to a friend's industrial oven and tried for a full size window. We weren't able to get the proper temperature and our tests wrinkled up during cooling. I ended the experiment because I had heard that VTS was coming out with real glass replacements soon, which they later did. Since then, Inland RV has also been supplying excellent replacements.

For this front window I will try local glass shops. I'm on the road, it's cold, and I need glass immediately. I'll post more on this on my blog later Monday or Tuesday. With all new glass in my Caravel, maybe I won't have to worry about this particular problem ever again ...

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:46 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Replacement glass-my experience

The original Corning glass was 3/32" thick and all I was able to obtain from a local glass shop (I checked with many) was 1/8" thick tempered. I ordered a piece for my rear window replacement and ran across a problem with the install. The hinge that the glass fits into to has a slot that is more of a 'V" shape than a "u" shape so the extra 1/32" of thickness prevented the glass from seating as far in the groove. Of course I did not discover this until I had installed and glued the glass in the groove! The glass not seating in the groove caused it to hang down too far causing the closing clamps to interfere with the window closing all the way. So, I had to take everything back apart (no easy task) clean the adhesive out the groove and ran a 1/8" drill up and down the groove kind of like an end mill. This allowed the window to seat ever so slightly farther into the groove alleviating the fitment problem. If I need to do this ever again, I would order the glass about 1/8 to 3/16" less from top to bottom to prevent having to do the 'mill' work.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot View Post
The original Corning glass was 3/32" thick and all I was able to obtain from a local glass shop (I checked with many) was 1/8" thick tempered. I ordered a piece for my rear window replacement and ran across a problem with the install. The hinge that the glass fits into to has a slot that is more of a 'V" shape than a "u" shape so the extra 1/32" of thickness prevented the glass from seating as far in the groove. Of course I did not discover this until I had installed and glued the glass in the groove! The glass not seating in the groove caused it to hang down too far causing the closing clamps to interfere with the window closing all the way. So, I had to take everything back apart (no easy task) clean the adhesive out the groove and ran a 1/8" drill up and down the groove kind of like an end mill. This allowed the window to seat ever so slightly farther into the groove alleviating the fitment problem. If I need to do this ever again, I would order the glass about 1/8 to 3/16" less from top to bottom to prevent having to do the 'mill' work.
The 67 and 68 window hinges, come apart.

The new window is installed, in those years, using thin double sided tape, therefore using the 1/8 inch thick glass, offers no installation problems.

The 1966 hinge however, since it does not come apart, must be cleaned out with a 1/8 inch drill bit, so that the glass can slip into the hinge, and held in place with silicone sealer.

Installing replacement glass in a 67 or 68 opening window, is a hands down deal.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:09 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
The 67 and 68 window hinges, come apart.

The new window is installed, in those years, using thin double sided tape, therefore using the 1/8 inch thick glass, offers no installation problems.

The 1966 hinge however, since it does not come apart, must be cleaned out with a 1/8 inch drill bit, so that the glass can slip into the hinge, and held in place with silicone sealer.

Installing replacement glass in a 67 or 68 opening window, is a hands down deal.

Andy
Interesting, as mine is a 67 and it did not come apart. Maybe it's an early 67 model and used the 66 style window.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:24 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot View Post
Interesting, as mine is a 67 and it did not come apart. Maybe it's an early 67 model and used the 66 style window.
Very possible, and a could be too.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:32 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
When I prepped the 66 overlander to take to Rob, one of the conditions of the trade was replacing the broken glass. Ordered the window from Inland (it was the large one). Came well packaged, with the weatherstrip, and the short drill bit. This was helpful too because the plexi the guy had installed (which yes did flex and leak) was installed with silicone. Had the non-serviceable hinge, which cleaned out in just a couple minutes with a drill and the provided bit. A little sealer and it was in place and worked great.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:35 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bryceville , Florida
I have some original corning windows listed in the classified section. Let me know if anyone is interested.
67Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote