Old 09-30-2003, 10:06 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Well, well, well ...

I guess the windows of the 1966-1968 models aren't exactly the same after all! See my picture.

Note that I have no drip cap, nor the double-hinge arrangement that jmoy describes. All of my windows are like this.

And despite the fact that they look tight and well vulkem-ed, they LEAK. Argh!

-- RL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dcp_1718.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	3329  

Old 09-30-2003, 10:33 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
I guess the windows of the 1966-1968 models aren't exactly the same after all!
The difference could just as easily be a CA vs OH thing. Several times, we have been at rallies and had the "exact same" trailers parked side by side...one from OH & one from CA, but both '64 GlobeTrotters. There were as many differences as there were similarities...could this explain your differences?

Shari

Old 09-30-2003, 11:58 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Your windows look so naked to me without the metal trim around the edges...
I think actually that was the idea. They look really cool without the frames. Unfortunately it's real hard to see them once your start having a little fun!

Heidi
Old 09-30-2003, 05:13 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Rain gutters

Hmmm, just came up with a theory. If you look at my picture (three posts above), you'll see a big bead of Vulkem along the top edge of the window hinge. The theory is that this bead is actually concealing a little rain gutter, and this is causing the leak. Without the rain gutter, water runs over the top of the hinge and into the gap just below, rather than being diverted to the sides. Anyone with similar windows care to comment?

I'm going to go dig the Vulkem out of one of them on the next sunny day to find out.

-- RL

PS: Shari, you might be right. Mine is an Ohio Caravel. Since jmoy is from Seattle it's likely he's got a California model. Jmoy, can you check your serial #? It should be something like O176xyyy, where the x ="J" for Jackson Center, or something else for California. yyy is the production number. (The O means Overlander trim, the 17 is the length, and "6" refers to 1966.)
Old 09-30-2003, 06:50 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Redmond , Washington
Send a message via AIM to JMoy
Our trailer is from 0hio, SN JO176515. The other 66 Caravel I have located here in Seattle is from California. It has the same window hinges as mine. But there are alot of other diffences. The interior color, the countertops and table, the latches on the doors...

I am pretty convinced at this point that I am not missing anything and will proceed to replace this one last window and all my windows will be complete (and hopefully leak free).

Thanks everyone for your help.

Jerry
Old 10-01-2003, 09:38 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Just ran outside to look.

My 67 tradewind made in Ohio has all original glass, and all hinges are identical. They have the two piece hinge that JMoy pictured and described.

Jim
Old 10-19-2003, 11:42 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
OK, I'm going INSANE!

I've been trying to nail down this window leak for weeks. (See my picture about 7 posts up from this one.) Apparently, the rain runs over the top of the window frame, into the hinge, and leaks inside. I've tried everything I can think of to fix it, but it seems to be a flaw of this particular hinge design.

Jmoy's '66 hinges with a drip cap make a lot more sense. I can't figure out why Airstream went to my type of hinge in '68, but I'm guessing it is a failed experiment. I've noted some other posts by '68 owners with mysterious window leaks like mine and some of them were (apparently) never resolved. I'd really like to hear from any other late 60's owners with hinge like mine and whether they've had leaks.

Anyway, the temporary solution is a real Bubba job -- clear packing tape applied to the top edge of the window, covering the hinge gap. It works but it's hardly permanent.

Any other ideas?

-- RL

Tags
caravel