Old 01-08-2008, 11:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
'66-'68 curved side window question

My neighbor's 66-68 (I would ask him exactly what year, but is has been away for a few months) Overlander twin bed model has all of the flat and curved glass Corning windows mounted within a supporting exterior metal frame. See pic:

http://www.airforums.com/attachments...windoframe.jpg

All of mine do not have a surrounding support frame at all. They are mounted to the top hinge and that's it.

Anybody know if this a special option and exactly what year this was available back then. It sounds like a great idea since the frame is supporting the window rather than the window supporting itself when tilted out (opened all the way).

Also, who is the best source for rubber window seals that look like the originals?

Thanks

Old 01-08-2008, 11:57 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Never mind my question on the frames. My neighbors trailer must then be a 68 since he has the frames on his windows and I don't.

Still interested in rubber window seals.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:35 AM   #3
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Vintage Trailer Supply is your source for the rubber window seals.

Our 67 had a couple of windows with the metal framing and some without. When we replaced the windows, we did without the framing. In my thinking, which is admittedly sometimes a little bizarre, the windows are tough enough to support their own weight; the central thrust of pressure when fully open is right on the upper hinging mechanism and the glass it encloses. Doing without the framing just lessens the weight on this mechanism and glass.

Lynn
Old 01-11-2008, 03:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighowdytex
Never mind my question on the frames. My neighbors trailer must then be a 68 since he has the frames on his windows and I don't.

Still interested in rubber window seals.
Vintage does not have the correct 66 on up original Airstream window
gastek, which is a double flare.

That gasket is available from Airstream dealers, only.

We researched the newer style "D" gasket, and have found it to be superior to the original double flared gasket.

We have them both.

Andy
Old 04-10-2008, 01:53 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Eureka , California
I have installed the new "D" style gaskets in my 68 Overlander with the curved Corning windows. I am still experiencing a leak problem from the top of the window. For the most part the water is collecting in the bottom channel of the lower window and I can soak it out with a towel or sponge. I was wondering if installing an "eyebrow" made of aluminum above the window would help to direct the water away from the window and subsequently help with my leak problem. I know these were used on the older Airstreams and they are available at my local RV dealer. Are there any other solutions? Would I be doing a "no no" if I did this?
Old 04-10-2008, 02:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobz Hog
I have installed the new "D" style gaskets in my 68 Overlander with the curved Corning windows. I am still experiencing a leak problem from the top of the window. For the most part the water is collecting in the bottom channel of the lower window and I can soak it out with a towel or sponge. I was wondering if installing an "eyebrow" made of aluminum above the window would help to direct the water away from the window and subsequently help with my leak problem. I know these were used on the older Airstreams and they are available at my local RV dealer. Are there any other solutions? Would I be doing a "no no" if I did this?
Your correct. Why ruin the looks of the trailer.

This info has been posted before, but I can't find it.

Get some clear "silicone sealer."

Make sure the hinge area is clean.

With the window closed, inject some silicone sealer at the pivot point of the hinge.

After a few minutes, open the window completely.

After another few minutes, close the window.

Repeat that operation, so that the sealer spreads itself thru the hinge area.

DO NOT ALLOW THE SEALER TO SET WITH THE WINDOW OPEN OR CLOSED.

You will be sealing the gap within the hinge by coating both side of the hinge, "internally."

Don't be stingy with the sealer.

Remove the exterior part of the sealer after it sets up.

This procedure has worked since 1966.

Andy
Old 04-10-2008, 04:09 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

I replaced all the original window gaskets with those from Vintage Trailer on a '66 Caravel. The trailer has been outside for three weeks in our CONSTANT NW rain and none of the windows have leaked. Very good gaskets. Be sure to clean the aluminum frame with lacquer thinner and let dry before applying the new gaskets. Darol
Old 04-10-2008, 04:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darol Ingalls
I replaced all the original window gaskets with those from Vintage Trailer on a '66 Caravel. The trailer has been outside for three weeks in our CONSTANT NW rain and none of the windows have leaked. Very good gaskets. Be sure to clean the aluminum frame with lacquer thinner and let dry before applying the new gaskets. Darol
Darol.

66, 67 and 68 window hinges leak.

That has been a fact since they were first used.

That leak has nothing to do with the gaskets used.

Water can and does go thru the hinge, since there is no seal there of any kind. There is a gap between the two halves of the hinge.

Shading the hinge with an "eyebrow" is a waste of money, since the hinges will still leak while towing or in a good driving rain.

Andy
Old 04-11-2008, 03:53 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Eureka , California
Thanks for the tip, Andy. I'll try the clear silicone sealer trick on the hinges.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darol Ingalls
Soft compressible gaskets must be used for the 66, 67 and 68 windows, which seals the window and allows the operator to compress the gasket when the window is being closed.

If a harder gasket is used, that in itself will cause the window operator pot metal gear to strip, when closing the window, since it will not easily compress.

Andy