Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2014, 10:55 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
micro blinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
I have finally had enough of my vintage roll-up shades that don't want to roll up anymore, so tonight I ordered micro-blinds for the kitchen and bathroom. BlindsChalet had a sale going on, so it seemed like good timing. I can't wait to get them and see how they look installed!

You are going to love the blinds.......Paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:05 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
It looks like this post was made about a month after I installed cellular blinds in my 66 Tradewind. It looks like this is certainly a good way to install blinds in the 66-68 Airstreams with the Phillips windows. After living with the cellular blinds for about a year we are very happy with them. We keep them open during the day and only close them at night for privacy. They are very easy to open and close. They take up very little room; they allow the window area to be completely viewable. Our windows are tinted, so this provides privacy during the day. Here is the thread if anyone is interested:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...ds-110866.html

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:55 PM   #23

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
My blinds came, I'm so excited! Now, how to mount them? Any brilliant suggestions?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:01 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
PM me and I will share

an email link to the guy that installed ours....he worked from the outside, I think. and made a little hole for the wand to turn......sweet. p
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #25

1968 17' Caravel
Finally got to this project today. I pretty much followed Aluminuminum's instructions, mounting to the screen frame. I did mount it slightly off center away from the arm to try and give the arm as much room as possible to move without hitting the slats. I also trimmed away some of the header piece to make room for the arm. When stuff did hang up it seemed I could just brush on the screen to move it enough to fall back into place. Looks like it's going to work out just fine!

Now off to do the bathroom window!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-2014-10-04 14.10.18.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	223586  

Old 10-04-2014, 05:24 PM   #26
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
Stefrobrts
I missed a few of these recent posts... I just crawled out of the Grand Canyon. Hiked across 25 miles “Rim to Rim”. I begin my seventieth year in a few months, so I'm feeling very accomplished and fulfilled emotionally, but physically, it was like being hung by your ankles and beaten with a bat. It was brutal, but I'd do it again tomorrow.

Anyway, congratulations, your install looks excellent. They're silver color? For me, it's nice to have the clarity and un-clutter that these window covers provide in a little trailer. I've got a year of “wear and tear” on mine and they're holding up just fine. Yes, sometimes they do need a finger tap on the screen, but overall, I'm pleased. I wonder if some aerospace 303 or silicone rubbed onto the screen surface would ease the glide down??

I'm a bit reluctant to recommend blind widths, because things don't always work the same for everyone, but the “outside” blind widths for the three sizes of windows that seem to work are 16”, 28”, and 38”.

And thanks for the picture, images are so very helpful.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_3000.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	756.8 KB
ID:	223604  
ALUMINUMINUM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:27 PM   #27

1968 17' Caravel
Your bathroom door is lovely! Well, the whole thing looks quite lovely, actually

I finally got around to finishing my project and installed the bathroom blinds tonight. I'm very happy with the results!

Old 11-14-2014, 10:03 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Brilliant! This looks fantastic. I love your airstream, and I love the idea for the blinds.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:44 AM   #29
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
Thanks folks,
Re-thinking these old trailer is fun.
It's nice to see pictures of how people go about making their trailers fit them.
I'm getting around to explaining the bath door and the header/transom lite adventure in a new thread.
Happy Trails, Wm
Old 08-11-2015, 01:35 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
Just found this thread when linked to another. This looks exactly the type of solution we are looking for! ALUMINUMNUM I have a few questions: How are the blinds holding up 4 years in? Are you finding that they get dirty quickly being outside the screen? Assuming they are 1" aluminum blinds, had you considered 1/2" micro blinds why/why not? How was your experience with Blind Chalet and which model did you order if you can remember? I think we will select the brush aluminum finish you know...just because.

Thanks!
Kevin
68' Overlander
AirstreamPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:58 PM   #31
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
Just found this thread when linked to another. This looks exactly the type of solution we are looking for! ALUMINUMNUM I have a few questions: How are the blinds holding up 4 years in? Are you finding that they get dirty quickly being outside the screen? Assuming they are 1" aluminum blinds, had you considered 1/2" micro blinds why/why not? How was your experience with Blind Chalet and which model did you order if you can remember? I think we will select the brush aluminum finish you know...just because.”

Hi There,

For me, the blinds look and operate as well as when new. Can't speak for others who have experimented with this. Sometimes they need a tap or swipe on the screen to get the slats to fall 100% into their web, but it's not inconvenient to do so. They function best when the trailer is level. The installation has proven durable.

I've never cleaned them, they're pretty safe between the outside glass and inside screen. If you leave your windows open in a windstorm, I'm sure that the blinds would blow away along with your “Curved Cornings”. If it's breezy, you must pull them up or anchor the bottom rail.

I did not consider 1 inch mini-blinds. The installation illustrated is ½ inch micro-blind, not 1 inch mini-blind. You could try to fit 1 inch mini-blind and report on its viability. ½ inch works for sure.

I found Blind Chalet to be competent and timely. The brand I chose was the only one that offered sky blue. Before ordering, I hung silver, black, and beige(to blend with original vinyl walls) cardboard panels over the windows to get a feel for the color and spacial effect. Sky blue over the windows has a positive subliminal affect on me. Michigan is fairly overcast. On a grey day, the blue light reflected through the slats feels happier. The “blue outdoors” makes the little trailer feel more open when actually closed.

Embassy 1/2” micro-blind, Federal Blue. Widths 16”, 28”, 38”. Outside Mount. 21” length

What size worked for me, should be confirmed for your application. You may want more or less side clearance. It's really nice to have the blinds out of the way. Perhaps try one window and see if it works for you.

Best wishes
Old 08-12-2015, 05:22 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I am going to try these on my '66 Safari....the look you have created is awesome!!

Any chance we can see pics of what you have done to your bathroom?
Old 08-26-2015, 06:11 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I ordered some blinds for the kitchen window as a test to see how it worked. Installed them last night. Because of the curve of my trailer, I wasn't able to screw them to the window frame from the outside. So, I did it from the inside instead and they came out perfect! It's so nice to have the curtain gone from the galley and to pick up more counter space. They are brushed aluminum and go very well with the trailer. I took a picture but you can hardly see them because they blend in so well with the aluminum. I am going to order another set for the bathroom window.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:32 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I have both free hanging curtains and roll down shades in our 66. Got get some of these blinds. They really look clean and tasteful
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:53 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Brainerd , Minnesota
Fixed windows?

What a great idea! We are going to do this on our '67 Tradewind. Question though... I'm wondering what people have done with the lower fixed windows on curbside (about 16x10) and on the streetside (about 28x10)? Did you put blinds in those as well? Same width as on the windows above them, or wider since there is no hardware?
VntgAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:05 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
I did not but wished I had. I will be adding them with vhb tape for attachment.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:26 PM   #37
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
Hello,

I have one stack window by the door. I didn't cover it. I have extra slats to do something there, but haven't yet. A micro-blind headrail taped into the cavity sounds good.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0385.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	290381   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0419.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	286.1 KB
ID:	290382  

Name:	DSC_0414.jpg