Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2014, 03:38 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
'56 Hehr windows

I am working on the windows of my 56 Flying Cloud. Several of the window cranks do not work properly, and I am looking for some guidance.

The first problem is this crank unit:
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3240.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	282.6 KB
ID:	220199
The crank does not work properly because the gear teeth on the left in the photo have been worn down and will not engage the worm. The window will not crank open from a fully closed position, but if the window is pushed open a ways, then the good teeth will engage the worm and the crank works to fully open the window.

Is there a way to repair the teeth on the crank arm? If not, does anyone have a crank arm that would replace mine?

The second problem is that some of the crank arm posts/shafts have broken free of one side of the crank base. In this photo, you can see that the end of the post, which should be all the way through the side of the base, does not go through the side. The photo is out of focus, but I hope you can see the situation.

Name:	DSCN3243.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	220200
Am I correct that the post was inserted through (1) one side of the base, (2) the crank arm, and then (3) the other side of the base. After that, was one end of the post peened with a hammer to make the post stay attached to both sides of the base?

I would like to replace several of the posts. Does anyone have guidance as to where/how I could find replacement posts?

Thanks, Hank
Old 09-17-2014, 01:30 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

On my '55 FC I was lucky to have maybe one crank working. I replaced all the cranks, VTS had the various cranks I needed.
cdmagda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Installing glass to 56 Hehr window frame

I would appreciate advice as to installing new glass in the front frames of my 56 Flying Cloud Hehr windows. I have rehabbed the frames, and I have new safety glass to install in the frames.

I am using the VTS-195 glass seal gasket and the VTS-137 butyl tape, but I do not understand how they work together. I do not think that I have enough room (on some sides) for the butyl tape to fit alongside the glass seal gasket without overlapping the glass seal gasket. If I do overlap the butyl tape with the glass seal, then the glass seal will not seat against the glass properly for a good and tight fit.

Does the butyl tape go directly on top of the glass seal? Do I have to make the butyl tape fit next to the glass seal with no overlap? Any advice would be appreciated.

Hank
Old 10-12-2014, 02:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Hank....I need a picture. On my Cloud windows the seal slips around the edge of the frame. Then the glass just lays on top. Then the inner metal pieces are screwed into place using the VTS short screws and Pal nuts. No butyl tape at all.
PS...use plenty of the 3M gasket seal to hold the seal in place...if you don't the seal will lift when you polish. Clean the excess off IMMEDIATELY because it sets up like concrete.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:46 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Hank....I need a picture. On my Cloud windows the seal slips around the edge of the frame. Then the glass just lays on top. Then the inner metal pieces are screwed into place using the VTS short screws and Pal nuts. No butyl tape at all.
PS...use plenty of the 3M gasket seal to hold the seal in place...if you don't the seal will lift when you polish. Clean the excess off IMMEDIATELY because it sets up like concrete.
Robin:

I was hoping that you would catch my email! I think that you are right that I will not have enough room to use the butyl tape. Here is a photo from the back side of a front frame with the glass laying on top of the glass seal. You can see that there is very little room for butyl tape:

Name:	DSCN3293.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	224239
I suppose that I could use the butyl tape across the top (where the space is wider) and at the corners.

Many thanks.

Hank
Old 10-14-2014, 07:32 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

I did use the tape, and the window gasket did lay nicely over it (tape). It's been over ten years and not a drop has gotten through. I may have adjusted the width of the tape...

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
cdmagda is offline   Reply With Quote